Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Would you start Blake Bortles straight away?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

Start Blake Bortles?

Sit him all off next season to tank the 2014 season and get another low draft pick in 2015.  This team needs more talent.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:what would Bradley have to do with the quality or value of a selection? careful the inner troll is showing..........
He endorsed it. He co-signed on it.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:Sit him all off next season to tank the 2014 season and get another low draft pick in 2015. This team needs more talent.
Does Gus like crablegs?

Quote:Sit him all off next season to tank the 2014 season and get another low draft pick in 2015.  This team needs more talent.
What's wrong with the draft we're in the middle of?

The team needs more talent? Caldwell turns his nose up at talent.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

Quote:Does Gus like crablegs?
Jameis Winston sucks.  He's got average arm strength.  He's got a wind up long throwing motion. 

Quote:WUT?

You mean to tell me that we just totally wasted the number three pick in the draft on a guy that doesn't have all of the NFL quarterback qualities absolutely expected of him right away?

You do NOT draft a quarterback at number three to develop him.

The talent doesn't match the pick value, find another player that does.

Caldwell has just diluted the value of pick three.

What a terrible job of assets management.

This calls for David Caldwell's resignation. Bradley, too.
It's called an investment...The Jags are going to get much more out of Bortles in 2 years than they will if they start him year 1. The Jags are investing for the future, not right away. Kahn and Caldwell have said this a bazillion times...Imagine your 401k. It should be worth more in 2 years than it is in one year. Same thing with Bortles. No need to rush him and no reason he HAS to start NOW. Who says you don't start a QB you drafted at #3? Is that a law? An NFL rule? Kahn is paying the guy a ton of money to sit and learn and he's fine with it. He understands that Bortles is not a quick fix...Why do you feel he HAS to start now? Will he take us into the playoffs? Will he lead us to an AFC championship?  Not this year, so let him learn for a year and then start him...Why this is so hard to grasp is beyond me.

I suppose the correct answer is technically "maybe" because no one can see the future....

But I for one DO NOT, DO NOT, want Bortles thrown in there to the starting lineup immediately. I'd rather take a measured approach like some other teams have done with QB draftees and start the bridge QB for a while until Bortles is ready and wins the job. McNabb was drafted 2 overall and didn't start until week 10 his rookie year. Rodgers didn't start for years (albeit had a legend in front of him), but I don't think Rodgers would have started from week one, regardless. 

start him once Blackmon returns.  You gotta give him a chance.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I suppose the correct answer is technically "maybe" because no one can see the future....

But I for one DO NOT, DO NOT, want Bortles thrown in there to the starting lineup immediately. I'd rather take a measured approach like some other teams have done with QB draftees and start the bridge QB for a while until Bortles is ready and wins the job. McNabb was drafted 2 overall and didn't start until week 10 his rookie year. Rodgers didn't start for years (albeit had a legend in front of him), but I don't think Rodgers would have started from week one, regardless.
Is Henne not a legend?

Im with Jungle kitten on this one. If you draft a QB with the 3rd pick he better already have 4 superbowl rings.

Bortles is going to start. You have to keep in mind Bradley comes from Seattle and buys in 100% to the always competing philosophy. Seattle did the same thing with Russel Wilson when they had Matt Flynn with a nice contract and Wilson took the job from him. The same will happen here, and by the end of pre-season Bortles will be named the starter and he would have earned it by taking the job, rather than it being given to him.

Quote:Is Henne not a legend?

Henne is most certainly a legend.

[Image: hennelol2_medium_medium.gif]

The answer is to start Bortles when he's ready.  Don't just throw him out there, and say "SWIM".  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Bortles is going to start. You have to keep in mind Bradley comes from Seattle and buys in 100% to the always competing philosophy. Seattle did the same thing with Russel Wilson when they had Matt Flynn with a nice contract and Wilson took the job from him. The same will happen here, and by the end of pre-season Bortles will be named the starter and he would have earned it by taking the job, rather than it being given to him.
Bortles will flourish and win the starting job over Henne.  He's no Gabbert.  Similiar in height and weight, although Gabbert has a stronger arm and a nice throwing motion.  Gabbert was uncomfortable behind the line. Bortles relishes the pressure.  Bortles is Big Ben 2.0.  Lets go Jaguars.

Quote:I suppose the correct answer is technically "maybe" because no one can see the future....

But I for one DO NOT, DO NOT, want Bortles thrown in there to the starting lineup immediately. I'd rather take a measured approach like some other teams have done with QB draftees and start the bridge QB for a while until Bortles is ready and wins the job. McNabb was drafted 2 overall and didn't start until week 10 his rookie year. Rodgers didn't start for years (albeit had a legend in front of him), but I don't think Rodgers would have started from week one, regardless. 

I agree with Dog. The McNabb example sounds about right and don't we have a bye right around there?

Quote:"Chad, how do you feel about Blake starting week 1?"

[Image: hennelol2_medium_medium.gif]

The only opinion that matters is the club's:

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong'>Mark Long ‏@<b>APMarkLong</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/464570211711336449' title="5:59 PM - 8 May 2014">16h</a>

<p class="">Caldwell takes shot at former Jaguars regime, jokes there's no chance they throw Bortles in Week 3 like what happened w/ Gabbert in 2011

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:The only opinion that matters is the club's:

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong'>Mark Long ‏@APMarkLong </a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/464570211711336449'>16h</a>

Caldwell takes shot at former Jaguars regime, jokes there's no chance they throw Bortles in Week 3 like what happened w/ Gabbert in 2011
I think Caldwell is implying we won't throw Bortles into the starting role if he isn't ready (like Gabbert). They're not going to force him to play. Bortles has work to do, but I think there's a chance he starts from week 1.

If management believes we can compete for a playoff spot this year, start him. If management believes we are still a year away, let him sit and avoid taking a beating, while also working on some of his issues. This way he gets a year to develop, avoids a beating, learns the system and then takes over.

Don't forget Phillip Rivers was drafted in the Top 5, and he sat for two years.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I think Caldwell is implying we won't throw Bortles into the starting role if he isn't ready (like Gabbert). They're not going to force him to play. Bortles has work to do, but I think there's a chance he starts from week 1.

There's always a chance, yes.  However, I don't see any need for fans to want to press the issue.

I'd still rather have Henne in charge while the o-line gets broken in, even if Bortles is better.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."