Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags sign Ziggy Hood

Quote:So what are we thinking ziggy and miller battle it out in training camp for the starting role?

Yea he will be a DT here in Jax and will have a chance at the 5 Tech DE, he is a S.Marks type guy 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Does anyone else thing that the Ziggy signing means that Alualu is in serious trouble? I didn't see any scenario in which they'd cut him, but with all the new players added at positions he's suited for, I wonder if he's going to be around on "cut to 53" day.

Live presser coming up  at one pm with Hood.  (Link on Jaguars.com homepage)

Quote:Does anyone else thing that the Ziggy signing means that Alualu is in serious trouble? I didn't see any scenario in which they'd cut him, but with all the new players added at positions he's suited for, I wonder if he's going to be around on "cut to 53" day.
He could be, but like most have stated, he fits in best as a 3T behind Marks. They talked about Marks getting way overworked last year and needing someone to spell him, and from all indications all those backup snaps should go to Hood. I'm sure he'll get snaps at other spots around the DL too, but I think his best fit is 3T (from everything i've gathered).

Quote:Does anyone else thing that the Ziggy signing means that Alualu is in serious trouble? I didn't see any scenario in which they'd cut him, but with all the new players added at positions he's suited for, I wonder if he's going to be around on "cut to 53" day.

Cut? Maybe a future trade.....even if its a 2015 3rd day pick. 

It doesn't have to happen right now, either. It could happen towards the end of camp, pre-cuts. 

Quote:Live presser coming up  at one pm with Hood.  (Link on Jaguars.com homepage)
Wish they'd wait and do one with Hood and Clemons, as well as hopefully Sanders.

Who knows though, i'm sure Clemons will be out there as well. The "Zane Beadles Presser" yesterday started with Dekoda Watson and ended with Toby Gerhart. This might be the signing i'm most excited about though. After seeing what happened with Marks last year, I think Hood could have that type of impact, and possibly even better. Steelers fans keep saying the guy is everything you'd want in a DT, just didn't fit the 3-4 in any way and have no idea why they drafted a guy that didn't fit in the first place. Tried to replace Hampton with Hood (which it's obvious that is not how Hood should be used).

Quote:He could be, but like most have stated, he fits in best as a 3T behind Marks. They talked about Marks getting way overworked last year and needing someone to spell him, and from all indications all those backup snaps should go to Hood. I'm sure he'll get snaps at other spots around the DL too, but I think his best fit is 3T (from everything i've gathered).
That could be it. It just feels like the addition of Bryant relegated Alualu to an all-purpose backup job, and Hood is a stronger, more athletic player who can do everything Alualu can, only better.

Awesome I liked Ziggy coming out of college, wow what a could of days this has been!

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

With Alualu, I think it depends on the draft. I doubt anybody is trading for that contract unless he is willing to waive his player option for 2015.

At the moment Alualu is fine. If the Jags draft Mack I think he would be listed as an LB and then he would play the LEO on 3rd downs. I could also see the Jags drafting a guy later on like McCuellers or Beau Allen to backup Miller.

LEO - Clemons, Branch, Davis

DT - Marks, Ziggy

NT - Miller, draft pick

LDE - Bryant, Alualu, Arby

Quote:At the moment Alualu is fine. If the Jags draft Mack I think he would be listed as an LB and then he would play the LEO on 3rd downs. I could also see the Jags drafting a guy later on like McCuellers or Beau Allen to backup Miller.

LEO - Clemons, Branch, Davis

DT - Marks, Ziggy

NT - Miller, draft pick

LDE - Bryant, Alualu, Arby

So, if they got Clowney, he plays the LDE, correct?

Quote:I never understood why Pittsburgh drafted him for that Defense. When he came out of college, he seemed to me to be a better version of Derek Landri. I'm excited about having him on the roster and seeing what he can do!

Oh wait, am I allowed to be excited or does that mean I'm dumb?

You are beyond dumb for like this according to some.  Homer.

Quote:So, if they got Clowney, he plays the LDE, correct?

I think Clowney could play any position on our D-LINE at a high level outside of NT....

But that's just my opinion

Huh no, he plays Leo or Lighting package DT.

Good question, he could probably play either end spot. I'd imagine he'd start at the LEO and then they'd move him to the LDE on 3rd and passing situations.

Quote:You are beyond dumb for like this according to some.  Homer.

Oh, I'm beyond dumb for lots of reasons.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM by KL1gus.)

Quote:Good question, he could probably play either end spot. I'd imagine he'd start at the LEO and then they'd move him to the LDE on 3rd and passing situations.
In passing situations, there is no LDE (in the base defense 2-Gaps run stuffer sense)

If anything Clowney should be put in more space on passing downs. Id say he would be the starting LEO with Clemons giving him a rest. On passing downs both would come off the edge. 

Quote:In passing situations, there is no LDE (in the base defense 2-Gaps run stuffer sense)

Sorry, two LEOs then.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 01:01 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Huh no, he plays Leo or Lighting package DT.

Well, if true - at that point we'd have a glut of LEO's - Clowney/ Clemons/ Branch/ Davis

I was kinda hoping to see if Branch could build on his improvement from last year. If they add Clowney, Branch's PT would be very limited according to the above.