Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Surprise cuts. Who will they be?

Quote:Did Uche say he'd restructure cheaper?....because Babin did. 

Uche is 4 years younger.  IF he gets cut, he will still get paid by someone else, with a nice little signing bonus and more than the league minimum.

He's a 29 year old guard.  He's had some good years, and some subpar years.

Equating his situation with a 33 year old below average/average DE, who has burned his bridges elsewhere and has been known to be a locker room cancer.... is stupid.

Of course Babin will restructure his deal.  If he doesn't, he will be watching football on sundays like the rest of us.  

He's been talking about how he's trying to "hang on for 1 more year"... he has no other choice.

Don't get me wrong.. I'd keep Babin for the veteran minimum.  But not for much more.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Did Uche say he'd restructure cheaper?....because Babin did. 

"Cheaper" for Babin is much different than "cheaper" for Uche. Babin's salary can be cut significantly and still be a much bigger cap hit than Uche.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Babin is an average Pass rusher, Uche is a bad Blocker..

Babin actually did something useful this year and is willing to come back for less, Uche sucks and even if he came back for free he shouldn't be more than a backup. 

Nail/ Head

Quote:lol....yep, why have a guy who can just suck at one position when you can have a player than can suck at multiple. Laughing

C'mon rj....just fix the OL once & for all. 

Get players that are specifically drafted to fit into our ZBS system, too. Uche wasn't this. 

If every guard on the expanded roster is better, then I'm all for cutting him.

- Bob Marley

Quote:"Cheaper" for Babin is much different than "cheaper" for Uche. Babin's salary can be cut significantly and still be a much bigger cap hit than Uche.

No it can't.

Uche is making a ton as well.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:No it can't.

Uche is making a ton as well.

I'll defer to you, as I am admittedly guessing, but isn't Babin due something in double figures next season? Or is Uche also going to hit that level, too?

- Bob Marley

Quote:Babin is an average Pass rusher, Uche is a bad Blocker..

Babin actually did something useful this year and is willing to come back for less, Uche sucks and even if he came back for free he shouldn't be more than a backup. 

Babin did almost nothing useful.  In fact, even if he had 2-3 impact positive plays, he made even more HUGE negative penalties that cost us dearly.

He sucks against the run, is average at rushing the passer, and makes boneheaded penalties.  That's how I would sum up Babin.

Uche:  average run blocker, below average pass protector.  May have played worse due to the new ZBS.  

I'll say it again.. they are very comparable players.  One is 4 years younger.  

Quote:I'll defer to you, as I am admittedly guessing, but isn't Babin due something in double figures next season? Or is Uche also going to hit that level, too?

Babin's cap hit next year is 6.1m whereas Uche's is 5.8m.

Cutting Babin will also not cost us any dead money, whereas cutting Uche will (about 2m if I understand correctly).

Overall though.. I do think Caldwell should try to renegotiate with Uche.  He's making way too much.

Thanks again, former regime.

(This post was last modified: 01-26-2014, 01:53 PM by rollerjag.)

I stand corrected, Uche's salary is a big hit on the cap next season. Still, I'd keep him unless a better alternative is on the roster.

- Bob Marley

Did anyone else know that Marcedes Lewis and Uche Nwarnari went to the same elementary school? Amazing isn't it. I have a picture here, apparently they used to pick on this one kid who swore to troll them forever.

[Image: 9rocd5.jpg]

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Did anyone else know that Marcedes Lewis and Uche Nwarnari went to the same elementary school? Amazing isn't it. I have a picture here, apparently they used to pick on this one kid who swore to troll them forever.

[Image: 9rocd5.jpg]

lol, good one.

You can't get rid of every single bad contract

In my case, the reality is that there are very few players on the Jaguars roster that would be a surprise if they were cut.

- Bob Marley

Quote: 

You can't get rid of every single bad contract

Yes.....yes you can, actually. 

Quote:Yes.....yes you can, actually. 

of course you can, but it's not as easy as in Madden.

If a player has dead money in his contract, cutting him may not be saving as much as you think.

Then you have to ask yourself: Is cutting him and signing an improvement at that position going to save you money?  In many cases, it won't.  

Uche is the only player that has been mentioned. so far that would surprise me. I believe he's currently the best interior lineman on Jags sadly. I think Lg,C,Leo,Olb,Qb,De and Rb are all bigger needs then rg. I think bigger surprises would be [BLEEP],Scobee,Denard,Shorts, Marks but I'm gonna say Alualu is biggest surprise cut.

Quote:Uche is the only player that has been mentioned. so far that would surprise me. I believe he's currently the best interior lineman on Jags sadly.

Well, thats kinda like when Mike Sims Walker was our best WR....

Quote:This team has holes at:

QB, RB, WR, LG, C, RG, DE, DT, ROLB, LOLB, FS, AND CB

It's not feasible to address every single hole in one year.  

Decisions will be made as to how to best improve this team by looking at who is available (for the right price) in FA and the draft.  

If the RG stays Uche, so be it.  I'm an adult that's not going to wet the bed because a player I don't like will stay.  The team will improve the RG position.  It may be this year, or it may be next year.  Maybe we'll even trade Uche and bring up another guy like Pasztor.  

I have this thing called PERSPECTIVE though,.... I know we can't address every single problem area this year.  I'd be happy with a new QB, 2 new Offensive Lineman, and another impact player on defense.  
I disagree with us having holes at RB unless MJD is gone. If MJD stays, even in a backup role I think Todman can get the job done. 

Ask me in June.   With the constant mantra of "competition" I don't expect many significant players to receive walking papers before then unless it's intended to give them a shot elsewhere. 

Conversely - I think we'll see Henne and Pasztor sign new deals by early March and possibly an attempt to restructure Babin's deal. 

Of course, I wake up each morning surprised to be alive. My threshold for surprise is pretty low.

- Bob Marley