Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rex Ryan possibly gone tomorrow

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016, 07:44 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

Quote:I don't know about that, but he was a great Jaguars DC.

Great dc my butt, remember we all whined about the soft bend dont break cover 2 zone d, made avg qbs look like tom brady

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016, 07:47 AM by Jagsfan32277.)

Quote:Did he not take Atlanta to the playoffs a couple times?

Matt Ryan made him look good. Jags dont have a matt Ryan, we got doo doo at qb

Quote:Great dc my butt, remember we all whined about the soft bend don't break cover 2 zone d, made avg qbs look like tom brady
Remember why so many complained?

Because we never really had a dominant pass rusher here.

We had Bobby McCray, who looked good for a year. 

We had Reggie Hayward, who blew out an achilles early.

We tried Aaron Kampman, who blew out a knee before he got here...and after.

That was good for most teams.

The truth is, with him, we had a top 10 pass defense in terms of yards in 3 of the 5 years he was here.

It wasn't average QBs that picked us apart.  It was the Brady's and the Mannings-and even then, with Mike Smith, we held the Colts to 10 in Indy.

Do you think it possible that with a CB like Ramsey, he might mix up coverages a little more?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Great dc my butt, remember we all whined about the soft bend dont break cover 2 zone d, made avg qbs look like tom brady

He's done well turning Tampa's defense around this year.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

This seems like a late time of day to speak to the media on the day after a game in which the team played at home:

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/...2135567360

<div><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia'>Joe Buscaglia<span>Verified account </span>‏@<b>JoeBuscaglia</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/808304652135567360' title="5:37 AM - 12 Dec 2016">39m39 minutes ago</a>
</div>

<p class=""><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash'>#<b>Bills</b></a> HC Rex Ryan is scheduled to speak with the media at 4:40 today, the team just announced

Buffalo is another team with talent that a future HC would love to go to. People like to think Jacksonville is such an attractive destination for head coaches to want to coach, but now Buffalo gets an early start by doing what should have been done to Gus a long time ago.

Quote:Well, I know I'm asking a lot, but go back to Smith's days as Def coord here.

Do you recall many instances of undisciplined play?

I don't.  Now granted a coach on the team who knew the defensive teachings and assignments may recoil at what I just typed, but from the outside looking in, there didn't seem to be many problems with gap control, blown assignments, stupid penalties on that side of the ball when he was there. 

As coach of the Falcons, he had to do something right for them to get  to the playoffs all those times under him.  I think if there were any sins he was guilty of is not building a dominant enough defense or dominant enough OL.  As I type this, I realize his LBs in Atlanta were not the athletes Jack and Smith are, and he didn't have the kind of CB we have in Ramsey.

Regarding the Jaguars Defense in the middle of the last decade,  I recall them being very physical and a good tackling team.   I recall being impressed with the way Justin Durant tackled in his rookie season and that's one of the things that appealed to me when he signed with the Lions as an UFA In 2011 after the lockout ended.   One thing that I could be mistaken with but for some reason I believe as good of a player John Henderson was,  he had a higher rate of Personal Foul penalties than most DTs.   Please provide any info on that or anything related.  

With the Falcons,  the 2014 game in London against the Lions jumps out as why I probably have some doubts with Mike Smith as an NFL HC though I was thrilled with the outcome of the game after the Falcons built a 21-0 lead at halftime.   The Falcons committed a holding penalty on a running play inside of 2 minutes of the game when they were protecting a two point lead.  It changed the complexion of the game.    Then a little later they committed a holding penalty on Defense on a 3rd and 9 run when the Lions were setting up for a FG.    It was one of the most bizarre finishes to an NFL game I've seen,  which is saying something.   

Coaches learn from their mistakes.   Yet,  when a team is looking for a new HC,  everything has to be factored in.  

Quote:Buffalo is another team with talent that a future HC would love to go to. People like to think Jacksonville is such an attractive destination for head coaches to want to coach, but now Buffalo gets an early start by doing what should have been done to Gus a long time ago.

This is one reason why I remain at least somewhat skeptical that Dave Caldwell will remain employed by the Jaguars.  Why else would the Jaguars keep Gus Bradley until the end of the regular season,   as you provided a prime example why the Jaguars should make a HC change.

Quote:   This is one reason why I remain at least somewhat skeptical that Dave Caldwell will remain employed by the Jaguars.  Why else would the Jaguars keep Gus Bradley until the end of the regular season,   as you provided a prime example why the Jaguars should make a HC change.

Of course, this is all based on the assumption Ryan is in-fact getting fired, but all signs point to that happening. 

Maybe they will hire Doug Marrone, lol

Quote:Of course, this is all based on the assumption Ryan is in-fact getting fired, but all signs point to that happening. 

Maybe they will hire Doug Marrone, lol

Crazier things have happened!

Even if Rex Ryan isn't fired today,   I get the feeling that the Pegulas want to go in another direction at HC.  

Like Gus, Rex is better off as a defensive coordinator.

Also, apparently Bills fans really want Jim Schwartz back.

Quote:I agree with everything you said, except the part about having 2 decent RBs. Unless I fell into a coma and have just woke up years in the future, you must be wrong. The last time I checked, Ivory and Yeldon were our RB's. You can't possibly be referring to them.

What makes you think they are not the RBs Bullseye was referring to?

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016, 11:29 AM by JaguarsWoman.)

Quote:Matt Ryan made him look good. Jags dont have a matt Ryan, we got doo doo at qb

The same Matt Ryan missed the playoffs before Mike Smith came along and after he was fired.

Do you seriously believe Mike Smith was a bad HC?

Quote:The same Matt Ryan missed the playoffs before Mike Smith came along.

Matt Ryan was in Boston College before Mike Smith came along.  

Quote:Like Gus, Rex is better off as a defensive coordinator.

Also, apparently Bills fans really want Jim Schwartz back.

What's that much more interesting about what you mentioned is Jim Schwartz has lost some of his luster in Philadelphia in the last 10 games,  in which the Eagles are 2-8.

Quote:  What's that much more interesting about what you mentioned is Jim Schwartz has lost some of his luster in Philadelphia in the last 10 games,  in which the Eagles are 2-8.

Now all those Jaguars fans who wanted him can eat crow.

Quote:Now all those Jaguars fans who wanted him can eat crow.

Things often change quickly in the NFL,  both ways. 

Jim Schwartz is one of the most naturally intelligent people in the NFL.  Yet,  he's not the most flexible coach out there and his people skills have been highly problematic in the past.

Quote:Things often change quickly in the NFL,  both ways. 

Jim Schwartz is one of the most naturally intelligent people in the NFL. Yet,  he's not the most flexible coach out there and his people skills have been highly problematic in the past.

The first thing a coach needs is good people skills or he won't be employed very long.

Quote:The first thing a coach needs is good people skills or he won't be employed very long.

Jim Schwartz was fired by the Lions in large part because of his people skills.  

Quote:The same Matt Ryan missed the playoffs before Mike Smith came along and after he was fired.

Do you seriously believe Mike Smith was a bad HC?
Yeah, if he was so good, why did the Falcons fire him and hire Gus Bradley's successor.