Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaches declined interviews for other teams, they wanted to stay

Quote:Is there a precedent of this "excellence" anywhere else he's been? Otherwise, the above is little but blind faith. 
Actually, yes. Almost everywhere he's been he's had a productive offense.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There is an awful lot of cynicism in this thread  - it is sad really

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 12:56 AM by KYjaggy.)

So by TMD's logic not producing regardless of talent means you are average at best. Yet I see him loving on Jerry Sullivan, who has yet to produce a 1,000 yard WR for us. What makes Sullivan a great coach despite average results while the rest of our coaches are average despite apparently also average results? 

I would assume TMD's answer to this would be his reputation based on other reputable sources. Then why do the sources saying Sullivan is good carry weight, but the ones saying Fisch is good and possibly a HC candidate don't carry weight? I'm confused by it all.

You just don't have the proper formula - i.e. TMD's logic divided by conventional wisdom equals common sense... math doesn't lie

Quote:So by TMD's logic not producing regardless of talent means you are average at best. Yet I see him loving on Jerry Sullivan, who has yet to produce a 1,000 yard WR for us. What makes Sullivan a great coach despite average results while the rest of our coaches are average despite apparently also average results? 

I would assume TMD's answer to this would be his reputation based on other reputable sources. Then why do the sources saying Sullivan is good carry weight, but the ones saying Fisch is good and possibly a HC candidate don't carry weight? I'm confused by it all.

Sullivan has developed Blackmon, Shorts and gotten 50 catches out of Ace Sanders in his rookie year. Ace Sanders!!

Had Shorts been able to actually finish the last 2 years, the extrapolation suggests 1000 yards for both seasons. So I dispute your above claim as it is made to sound like Sullivan hasn't done extremely well here. Blackmon probably would have had 1000 yards easily this past season, if not for his demons. 

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 01:45 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Actually, yes. Almost everywhere he's been he's had a productive offense.

If you are going to go from college OC to NFL OC you better have a resume a bit better than "productive offense". You should have an offense that turns heads and stands out among the best in collegiate football. 

Quote:If you are going to go from college OC to NFL OC you better have a resume a bit better than "productive offense". You should have an offense that turns heads and stands out among the best in collegiate football. 
Did you not watch Miami in 2012?

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

In all honesty, productive offense or not, Fisch has the look of a head coach to me.

Not guaranteeing he will be great or anything, I just have a feeling he will get a head coaching gig, NFL or college, in the next few seasons.

He looks the part.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 07:57 AM by LMD.)

Getting back to the topic of the coaches declining interviews for other teams, wasn't Jerry Sullivan trying to head out over to Arizona after MM's firing last year, until the Jags blocked it?

I've only found 2 tweets talking about it, though I thought it was more widely reported.

Quote:Hearing WR coach Jerry Sullivan (Jags) would like to join BA's staff in Az, he's one of the best in the business, Bucs also have interest.

Source: https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/statuses...6001871874

Quote:Hearing its not looking good re WR coach Jerry Sullivan coming to the desert it apprears the Jags would like to keep him, smart decision.

Source: https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/status/2...3042060289

(Note: Both these tweets are from 1/18/13, the day after Gus was hired.)

Considering Sullivan is probably the best position coach on the team, I don't think its a stretch to believe he was probably one of the two coaches referred to by Gus here. If Sullivan was, in fact, one of the two coaches who declined an interview, that definitely looks like a step in the right direction under Gus to me.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Quote:if not for his demons. 
And if Blaine didn't see fake demons every time he dropped back maybe any of our last 3 OCs would have looked better, too...

The OP made me happy. Reading through this thread sucked the joy out of it.

Quote:I'd be surprised if that report had much substance to it.

Of course you are...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Did you not watch Miami in 2012?

Yeah, and Fisch is following that parallel similarly - his offenses here cannot put up respectable scores vs good competition either....

13 vs Kansas St

3 vs Notre Dame

14 vs N Carolina

Fisch's offense in MIami put up big numbers on the softees that year. 

Quote:Getting back to the topic of the coaches declining interviews for other teams, wasn't Jerry Sullivan trying to head out over to Arizona after MM's firing last year, until the Jags blocked it?

I've only found 2 tweets talking about it, though I thought it was more widely reported.

Source: https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/statuses...6001871874

Source: https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/status/2...3042060289

(Note: Both these tweets are from 1/18/13, the day after Gus was hired.)

Considering Sullivan is probably the best position coach on the team, I don't think its a stretch to believe he was probably one of the two coaches referred to by Gus here. If Sullivan was, in fact, one of the two coaches who declined an interview, that definitely looks like a step in the right direction under Gus to me.

Why couldn't it have been Ron Middleton or Mike Rutenberg?  How about DeWayne Walker?  Or Todd Wash?   There are 22 coaches on the coaching staff.   Any one of them could have been offered an interview with another team.   The assistant defensive line coach wants to become the head defensive line coach.   And there are several teams building new coaching staffs.   It's not a stretch to think that an assistant position coach could get an interview to become a head position coach, or a position coach could get an interview to become a coordinator.  

Quote:Why couldn't it have been Ron Middleton or Mike Rutenberg?  How about DeWayne Walker?  Or Todd Wash?   There are 22 coaches on the coaching staff.   Any one of them could have been offered an interview with another team.   The assistant defensive line coach wants to become the head defensive line coach.   And there are several teams building new coaching staffs.   It's not a stretch to think that an assistant position coach could get an interview to become a head position coach, or a position coach could get an interview to become a coordinator.  

It could have been any of them, sure. We'll never know, unless they come out and say it.

But I think given Sullivan's reputation as one of the best in the league at his position, the interest he drew last year, and the further success he had this year (getting the production he did from Mike Brown, Ace Sanders, and even Kerry Taylor), he's probably one of the more likely coaches on the staff to be sought after. Its not a knock on any other coach on the team. Sullivan's just that good, and I'll be eternally grateful to MM for talking him out of retirement, even if the rest of MM's tenure was a little lackluster, to be nice. :confused:

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Mallory is also a likely candidate to be offered a job elsewhere.  Our ST ranked near the top in a handful of categories and he improved it over the course of the season with a constant revolving door of new players in his meeting room. 

Good post Knarnn, we need positive vibes like oxygen right now.

Quote:Good post Knarnn, we need positive vibes like oxygen right now.

I'll admit I was a bit skeptical at first but I'm coming around. Gus is building something nice here. Here's hoping we can bring back that old nasty, hard hitting "Duval" defense.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2014, 07:12 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Just want to remind the naysayers that we are in the middle of an entire overhaul.   Nice to see that the coaching staff is "All In".  

Yes there are many weaknesses from this season.  But I'd rather focus on the fact that we finished strong after a horrible start that other teams might have folded the tent on.  

The NY Giants, for instance had a complete meltdown including a coach calling out players for lack of heart.  The Jacksonville Jaguars, on the other hand, had a united concept that kept the team focused.  Pretty interesting comparison, if you ask me...  you know... considering the coaching staffs and all...   :whistling:

Edit:  Forgot to mention the fabulous job of SB champion coach Mike Shannahan in terms of comparisons with our coaching staff....  With a much better roster, no less.  

Again, pretty good start to a complete overhaul considering the lack of talent we have in comparison to the rest of the league.  The time to critique the team is coming in terms of performance.  This isn't the time.  

But it does begin this offseason.  Devil's Advocates will have enough fodder with Free Agency and the Draft.  But to question this article is, per the usual, silly.

Quote:  Nice to see that the coaching staff is "All In".    "Standing United." :teehee: