Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How Would You Feel if the Jaguars Don't Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd?

I don't care one bit about who they don't draft. I care immensely about who they do draft.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 07:06 PM by Solid Snake.)

What is with this slam dunk prospect....no Luck QB [BAD WORD REMOVED]? How many slam dunk QBs have there been in the last 15 years? How many Lucks have there been? Some thought Gabbert...and more recently RGIII was can't miss. Truth is there is no can't miss QB. Selecting one is a crapshoot, a gamble, a big [BAD WORD REMOVED] bet. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Sometimes the spot they are selected at warrants  their perceived talent level. Sometimes you overdraft. But always, and I mean always....you need a QB. You can't be scared to draft one even if its a little higher than you wanted. You also can't be waiting on a miracle, thinking you're going to knab the next Brady or Wilson. That [BAD WORD REMOVED] doesn't happen.

NO LUCK IN DRAFT!!!

OMG MAYBE NEXT YEAR!!!

MAYBE TAKE A FLYER ON THAT FALES KID. HE MIGHT BE THE NEXT BRADY!!!! 

LOL... says the guy who wanted Geno at #2...

A little soon for the bedwetting, I'd say.

I trust Caldwell to make a well informed decision no matter what happens, and no matter who is taken.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 07:25 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:LOL... says the guy who wanted Geno at #2...

A little soon for the bedwetting, I'd say.

I trust Caldwell to make a well informed decision no matter what happens, and no matter who is taken.
Still [BLEEP] your diapers over comments I make or others that don't agree with yours.

Trust Caldwell, like you trusted your sugar daddy Gene? Its going to take a winning season before I trust anything within this organization, and part of becoming a winner is identifying a QB. You can knock me all you want but the Jets decided what was best for them was not to continue waiting for a QB. They went ahead and got one, and despite Geno's up and down season, they still finished better than us at 8-8. Geno will be back, better. Could you say the same about your mancrush Gabbert? I remember you fawning over his golden locks and Herculean figure.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 07:58 PM by BoldCityDigital.)

Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles will be a Jag in 2014.  Confusedweat: We should get SOMETHING out of this suffering we've had to endure... we've waited long enough for a draft class like this.

[Image: 33yq44j.gif]

Keep in touch on Facebook: WE ARE JAGUARS

I would be fine with Clowney at 3, O-line, RB or CB in the second round (unless Bortles is there) and then Fales in the 3rd or 4th + a guy like Logan Thomas or Mettenberger in the 5th or 6th...If Thomas doesnt pan out, convert him to TE Wink

I just hope we dont reach on Bortles in the first!

Another possibility is to trade back, gather another 2nd and draft Barr in the first.

The reality is, if we don't take one of the said 'top QBs' with our first pick and the one we pass up turns out to be a stud...  You will see the board light up about how we should have taken (insert QB name here) instead of (insert actual pick here).

I prefer we take a QB regarless and take a chance while we have the high pick.  Bridgewater/Manziel/Bortles all have high grades 'so far', however the combine could change all that.  But those 3 choices alone show better pocket presence than what we have now and I would gladly take them over our current QB's...

Other than that, we draft to fill needs.

But that's just me.

Quote:If the Jags get Clowney at 1, and someone  who's not a QB at 2, how would you feel? Also, how would you fix the problem?

IMO, the likelihood of the Jags not getting a guy in the first or second aren't that low. Lots of teams need QB's, so it's conceivable that the top prospects would be off the board in the second round.

Clowney is too big a talent to pass up. I'd only pass on Clowney if Bridgewater's there, which I doubt he will be. 

So, what 3rd-7th round prospects do you like in the draft? If the Jags waited past to the 3rd, would they bring in a veteran to compete? I think yes.

I don't want to get stuck in QB purgatory, but mid round QB's can be successful.

Try not to flame, this is just a general scenario of how the organization would go about fixing the position if they can't get their guy early.  

I'd feel fine. Because I trust this front office and Caldwell. We didn't reach for a QB in last year's draft, and I don't think we'll reach for a QB at #3. Wouldn't be shocked though if we take Manziel with the 3rd overall pick. I'd be a bit concerned. Yes the kid can play, he's exciting, he's quick, he makes big plays, he's like Dough Flutie with Colin Kaepernick quickness. But, he's got some serious baggage and maturity issues. And that's what bothers me more than anything about the kid. I don't want a hot-head leading this football team.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:I'd feel fine. Because I trust this front office and Caldwell. We didn't reach for a QB in last year's draft, and I don't think we'll reach for a QB at #3. Wouldn't be shocked though if we take Manziel with the 3rd overall pick. I'd be a bit concerned. Yes the kid can play, he's exciting, he's quick, he makes big plays, he's like Dough Flutie with Colin Kaepernick quickness. But, he's got some serious baggage and maturity issues. And that's what bothers me more than anything about the kid. I don't want a hot-head leading this football team.

That's why I'm not worried about what they'll do, either.  If you have the right approach, you will have a quality draft to show for it.

Quote:Bridgewater, Manziel or Bortles will be a Jag in 2014.  Confusedweat: We should get SOMETHING out of this suffering we've had to endure... we've waited long enough for a draft class like this.

Careful... it's a large crop but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a slam dunk.  I don't see any "sure things" in this QB crop, not a single one.

Quote:Careful... it's a large crop but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a slam dunk. I don't see any "sure things" in this QB crop, not a single one.

No prospect is a slam dunk
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:Well the question in the OP is "How Would You Feel if the Jaguars Don't Draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd?"
I missed that bit of the title, on my phone lol

Quote:No prospect is a slam dunk

If you're selecting a QB first overall, he should be.  Otherwise, you shouldn't be taking him there.

My initial reaction will probably be disappointment, but it all depends on how the whole draft shakes out, and how Caldwell chooses to address the position.

On the surface, the status quo is completely unacceptable to me, but I'd give the front office the benefit of the doubt early on.

On Wisconsin.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2014, 09:20 PM by ATLjag.)

How would I feel if Caldwell did not take a QB in rounds 1 or 2? I would be disappointed.

They swung with Gabbert and struck out; time to get back up to the plate and take another swing. If his plan is to have a rookie QB in the camp to challenge for the starting job in 2014, analytics have shown that the higher probability of a successful starting QB are those chosen early in the draft (by a large percentage). It is the equivalent of winning the lottery if you get a success like Brady in the 6th or Wilson in the 3rd, and a strategy that should not be relied upon for success. Due to demand and supply, the QB position in the draft is historically reached for and a slight reach would not upset me to get a top rated QB prospect.

However, if he passes on QBs in the 1st and 2nd rounds, I would assume he has a plan in place that will put a better QB in the starting spot in 2014 than he saw in the draft....free agency, trade, or something. If camp time comes and there is no other QB in place accept the existing group, I would definitely be extremely disappointed.

On a side note....
Before the rookie salary scale, JaMarcus Russell signed a 6 year $68 million deal. After the rookie scale was implemented, the financial risk that could bury a team on a bust went down considerably. After the rookie salary scale, RGIII signed a 4 year $21 million friendly deal. No player is a sure thing, but the financial cap risk has largely been eliminated. Don't be scared to pick a QB early.

Quote:If you're selecting a QB first overall, he should be. Otherwise, you shouldn't be taking him there.

Oh, its that easy huh.
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

I'd be disappointed but I think it's more important to get difference makers with our first two picks than it is to just draft a QB for the sake of it. Here's to hoping a QB can be one of those difference makers.

On a side note, it would be hard to pull off, but I'm starting to hope Caldwell can possibly pull off something like trading back to 8-10 for a guy like Mack or Watkins, and then using the picks we garner, trade back into the first from 39 for a QB. Very Stigmaesque I know, but that would be awesome.

Quote:If you're selecting a QB first overall, he should be.  Otherwise, you shouldn't be taking him there.
False.

Quote:I think Bridgewater at 3 is better value than Mack at 3, yes.

<div> 
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Clown.
</div>

Quote:Oh, its that easy huh.

That's the point of the draft.  Not reaching, but taking players where they're valued.  Not taking a QB first overall just because you need one badly or you're afraid someone else will get the guy you fell in love with.  That's drafting scared.  You have to have the stones to let a guy go if you have to and trust your grades.

It's fine to target a guy, just move up/down to make the value fit.  Otherwise, you take the best value (highest rated player.)

Quote:False.
LOL... go ahead, take your Jamarcus Russells and David Carrs and think drafting them first overall makes them stars.

Stick to the board and follow the value.  Then you end up with first overalls like Manning and Luck instead.