Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Blaines Comments about returning!

Blaine displayed all class in his responses, as usual.

I wish MJD had the same attitude when he decided to hold out with a couple years left on HIS contract.

I can't figure out what the OP's problem is, but I'm beginning to think it's more than just Blaine.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 12-31-2013, 06:30 PM by JohnnyJaguar.)

Quote:And if we give him the keys, and he ruins the city? Way to put thought into your post!
Perhaps you don't understand the term, and perhaps I should has used another. But this is what typically happens whenever a team drafts a 'franchise QB' with a top 5 pick.

For example, when Indy drafted Luck, do you think Andrew had to "compete" for the starting job? What about Cam in Carolina? Or RG3 in Washington? Did they come into town with another young QB still there, already talking to interviewers about "winning his job again" next year? Hell no, all these guys were drafted with the expectation that they were 'the guy'. Given the keys to the city, if you will. Before they even stepped onto a practice-field, knew they'd be that team's starter, guaranteed, perhaps for the next 5-years. 

Quote:<div>
Not sure how you even ompare it to Washington, nothing alike.

</div>

Ask a Washington fan and they can tell you. I'll give you the brief footnotes nonetheless: Few years ago Redskins draft their franchise guy in RG3 with their first pick, then to the surprise of everyone, turn around a few round later and pick-up Kirk Cousins(another young dynamic QB that could perhaps be an NFL starter one day). The idea is obviously for Cousins to be backup, but when you have 2-young QBs both wanting to succeed and start, it makes it so that the actual starter is always looking over his back. Scared to get hurt, lose his job, etc. Which is just one of the many problems with RG3 in WAshington this year(you can google it). RG3 has been playing paranoid, why do you think he was so eager to come back to soon this season? The similarity then is having '2 young/same aged QBs' under the same roof.

And so with all that in mind, I reaffirm my point: whatever QB we get in the draft should have our full support going forwards. And something just [BAD WORD REMOVED] me off about this team finally turning the corner, possibly drafting a franchise guy, only to know a scrub like Gabbert(who admittedly knows the NFL and our playbook better), is waiting to win "his job again". The job is not his to win again, not even to compete for IMO.

I want 3 players. Clowney, Bridgewater, Manziel. Jaguars have the number 3 pick. Just give me one of those 3 at 3, and I'm happy.

My top 6 favorite posters on these boards

Deacon
Pirkster
Shack Del Rio
Haterade
Hurricane
Badger

Quote:Agree with OP 110%. Good post. The kid(Gabbert) did indeed come across as arrogant. Arrogant in that he was the single worst QB to start a game in the entire NFL this season, and still talks about competing for "my job again". Gimme a break. This team is finally moving forwards, new coach, new GM, likely a top 3 QB in the draft this year, just leave already Gab. Of course you "don't want to be anywhere else" Blaine, and of course it's "a ridiculous question to ask" whether you'll seek a trade. Because there;s not a team in the world today that would trade us anything for you. 

He just needs to be gone, for our future. Whatever QB we draft this year needs to come in and be immediately given the keys to the city, knowing from draft-day that he has our full support, a starting job, and the future helm of our franchise. We don't need some half-baked Gabbert, who already knows the playbook better than a rookie, trying to win his job back in the offseason. It didn't work out well for two young guys, RG3 and Cousins in Washington, it's recipe for disaster. Keep Henne, he's a good guy, certainly a mentor-type, who *knows his role*, and doesn't think Jaguars starting QB position is "my job".
Are you always this easily offended? I'm guessing if Gabbert took a much more passive stance he would catch all kinds of grief for not wanting to fight for his job - you know, that "coward" thing.

I know they make good money, but NFL quarterbacks have to put up with all kinds of crap. And we wonder why they don't read or listen to media reports, Facebook, or (most of all) message boards.
The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Keep him on the roster. Smokescreen. Bortles 3rd overall
Smokescreen who? Laughing  We got the #3 pick and we need a QB.  Everyone in Jacksonville knows it.  Every GM around the league knows it.  Everyone who has ever watched a football game knows it.  The Russian astronauts on the international space station know it.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I don't read any arrogance in his statement at all. What was he supposed to say "Yes I sucked really bad. Even with a year left under contract, I am worried my performance is going to get me cut. I don't even feel like doing offseason drills with these guys, it's just so hopeless...."

He said he was under contract,meaning he has no right to shop his services, he hasn't been told he is leaving, so he will proceed to prepare just like he is coming back.

Geez, this is a sensitive world. Every word dissected and disassembled for analysis and hidden meaning.

Quote:Per press conference Caldwell says Blaine will be back. Reason, Upside, excellent practice player, at minimum a back-up. So that settles it. But I would have loved to have known who the reporter was who asked, "WHY!?!"
I take Caldwell's comments of keeping and valuing Blaine at the press conference with a grain of salt. If he has any thoughts of trading him, you don't want to "devalue your chip" by indicating you plan to release him if no trade is found.

Quote:I 100% agree. We drafted a guy who, it was obvious to everyone, needed to sit behind a veteran QB for a year (probably two tbh). And we never gave him that chance, the reason his career has failed here is probably about 90% due to the Jags.

The fact is if he had continued to drop in the draft and fell to someone like the Patriots and Bellichik, he would look a good enough player that there would be a topic in NFL at Large to trade for him!

So sitting on the bench for the last 2 years would have instilled a backbone and pocket awareness?  I doubt it.  The dude's a millionaire.  I don't feel bad that he stinks and everyone is piling on him.  For a few million I'd take all that criticism and then some.

Quote:Ask a Washington fan and they can tell you. I'll give you the brief footnotes nonetheless: Few years ago Redskins draft their franchise guy in RG3 with their first pick, then to the surprise of everyone, turn around a few round later and pick-up Kirk Cousins(another young dynamic QB that could perhaps be an NFL starter one day). The idea is obviously for Cousins to be backup, but when you have 2-young QBs both wanting to succeed and start, it makes it so that the actual starter is always looking over his back. Scared to get hurt, lose his job, etc. Which is just one of the many problems with RG3 in WAshington this year(you can google it). RG3 has been playing paranoid, why do you think he was so eager to come back to soon this season? The similarity then is having '2 young/same aged QBs' under the same roof.

And so with all that in mind, I reaffirm my point: whatever QB we get in the draft should have our full support going forwards. And something just [BAD WORD REMOVED] me off about this team finally turning the corner, possibly drafting a franchise guy, only to know a scrub like Gabbert(who admittedly knows the NFL and our playbook better), is waiting to win "his job again". The job is not his to win again, not even to compete for IMO.

So competition brings out the worst in people? Got it.

You know Rich Gannon was a very good quarterback who didn't emerge until later in his career and Tom Brady wasn't exactly handed the keys to anything until the guy in front of him went down. Also, Drew Brees didn't really emerge until Philip Rivers was drafted(you can google it).

You really don't have a point, you have a negative emotion to the thought of Blaine Gabbert being on this team going forward that you decided to share with us and tried to rationalize. He was dealt a very bad hand here but still had his opportunities and didn't capitalize. If he's gone, so be it and good luck to him. If he's here next year, I'd love to see him redeem himself. Why wouldn't any Jag fan want to see this however unlikely it may be?

Why have you let your disdain for a sports figure, who has no control over anything in your life, get to the same level as someone who has personally affronted you?

Blaines on borrowed time.. Even he knows this..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Oh yes, a guy wants to fight for his job. How dare he want to be a competitive player?  :whistling:

Seriously, what do you expect him to do? Roll over and play possum? Blaine's a lot of things, but he's not a quitter. I find it admirable that he's been able to stay positive through this harsh period.

It's not his fault people dissect every little word he says to suit their agenda's against him.

Blaine has to stay positive and say the right things. That's his only chance of signing with another team.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

I just read a crappy footnotes version of the Redskins offseason. Kirk Cousins was not a dynamic QB and was not brought in to compete with RGIII. RGIII was "given the keys to the city".

Quote:You really don't have a point, 
Honest question: Name me a single QB drafted in the top-3 in the last 5, heck last 10 years who has had to 'compete' for his starting job with another young QB who already has a 3-year headstart on him? If you can't, then I'm wondering what your point is exactly Meister...

Listen, if the Jaguars are going to gamble with their very first pick on a QB, and bet the future of this entire franchise on him, then surely you agree that every other QB on our roster(from Gabbert to Henne to Stanzi) needs to know their role from day one: backup.

All I'm saying is that Blaine seems to be the only one in Jacksonville who doesn't know or get that. Ie, this is either a case of ignorance or arrogance, which do you think Meister?

I want 3 players. Clowney, Bridgewater, Manziel. Jaguars have the number 3 pick. Just give me one of those 3 at 3, and I'm happy.

Deacon
Pirkster
Shack Del Rio
Haterade
Hurricane
Badger

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2014, 05:21 PM by JohnnyJaguar.)

Quote:Kirk Cousins was not a dynamic QB and was not brought in to compete with RGIII.
Never said he was brought in to compete with RG3, only that it's common knowledge that RG3 at times played scared and returned way to early this season for fear of losing his job to another 'young QB' named Kirk, who many this year believed could be a starter in the NFL. Obviously RG3 wasn't going to lose his job, but it was just enough to screw with his head.

My point? That scenario would have never happened had RG3 had an older veteran QB helping him out, instead of worrying about a younger guy who was eager to play and ready to take the team if he ever got hurt. 

Call me a realist Victor, but I just don't want my Jaguars to be the Redskins 2.0, and I don't need a young QB in his first year playing scared because he knows Gabbert's always behind him fighting to win "his job" back(per this interview).

BTW, if anyone is not familiar of this "2 young QB disaster" in Washington, please take the time to read this NFL.com article entitled "Redskins officials: RG3 feared job loss to Kirk Cousins"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...rk-cousins

Deacon
Pirkster
Shack Del Rio
Haterade
Hurricane
Badger

Quote:Blaine has to stay positive and say the right things. That's his only chance of signing with another team.. 

I see no reason why his response needs to be based on some agenda of signing with another team.  Any consideration at all that maybe, while having been a bad QB, he still wants to get better and reclaim his job? 

Quote:Never said he was brought in to compete with RG3, only that it's common knowledge that RG3 at times played scared and returned way to early this season for fear of losing his job to another 'young QB' named Kirk, who many this year believed could be a starter in the NFL. Obviously RG3 wasn't going to lose his job, but it was just enough to screw with his head.

My point? That scenario would have never happened had RG3 had an older veteran QB helping him out, instead of worrying about a younger guy who was eager to play and ready to take the team if he ever got hurt. 

Call me a realist Victor, but I just don't want my Jaguars to be the Redskins 2.0, and I don't need a young QB in his first year playing scared because he knows Gabbert's always behind him fighting to win "his job" back(per this interview).

BTW, if anyone is not familiar of this "2 young QB disaster" in Washington, please take the time to read this NFL.com article entitled "Redskins officials: RG3 feared job loss to Kirk Cousins"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...rk-cousins
What??

Every team has a backup who wants the starting job, and most of them pose a bigger threat than Gabbert.

Quote:.... Any consideration at all that maybe, while having been a bad QB, he still wants to get better and reclaim his job? 

In the scheme of things...that would be a win all around. I understand they have to pay him no matter what.

Would it make me happy to see him become the quarterback we thought we were drafting?

Heck Yeah! :yes:

Do I think it will happen? ...Umm..I doubt it. :no:

But we have the offseason and I guess preseason to see.

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:Blaine has to stay positive and say the right things. That's his only chance of signing with another team.. 

Which at his age, is likely to happen.

Bad QBs have been signed, traded for as backups, and even given shots to start.  Stranger things have and will happen.  That's the position.  Need feeds desperation.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2014, 08:29 PM by jagsfreak27.)

Blaine's failures have just as much to do with the Jaguars, as they do with him. In his brief tenure with the team he's had 4 different coaches, 3 different OC's and a turnstile on the offensive line as well as at the skill positions. In my opinion, he was thrown into the fire way to soon and the lack of stability has made it nearly impossible to succeed. I think that he could still prove a worthy backup, so I have no problem with letting Henne walk, keeping Gabbert and drafting a QB.

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

Quote:Its arrogant to say" I have 1 year left on my contract i don't see no reason i wont be back" ! This ain't about his contract, that's already a waste of money ! its about his play, and i can name a 1000 reason why he shouldn't be back !

Alright.  Go.  1000 reasons why blaine gabbert shouldn't be back.  Number them please.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.