Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bradley's Staff to Coach Senior Bowl

Quote:Don't all teams send representatives and coaches to Mobile for that week anyway? Is it really that much of a benefit over any other normal year? 

I don't think there's any advantage. In fact, it could hurt. If players get a taste of your coaching staff then get drafted somewhere else, they'll know a lot about the way your coaches approach the game.

It would be interesting to see what teams have coached Senior Bowls and how well it affects them in the subsequent draft.

First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi

http://s6.postimg.org/vyr2ycdfz/Teddy_Br...cked_4.gif

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:But isn't that the point? Coaching the senior bowl doesn't mean anything.

I understand that there are more rounds than just round 1 but if coaching the senior bowl made that much of a difference, wouldn't more coaches be chomping at the bit to coach?
Your GM and scouting staff is there too.  I was just pointing out the incorrect correlation between the coaches not having job and them coaching the senior bowl.  It gives you some free mini-interviews and a closer look at their practices.  I mean, it really can't hurt.

Quote:I don't think there's any advantage. In fact, it could hurt. If players get a taste of your coaching staff then get drafted somewhere else, they'll know a lot about the way your coaches approach the game.

lolwut?  Talk about grasping for negative straws.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Your GM and scouting staff is there too. I was just pointing out the incorrect correlation between the coaches not having job and them coaching the senior bowl. It gives you some free mini-interviews and a closer look at their practices. I mean, it really can't hurt.
I guess it can't hurt. I just dont see it as an advantage. Coaches are cut throat and would take any advantage possible if it helped them win. It just doesn't seem like coaches care about coaching in the game.

Quote:I don't think there's any advantage. In fact, it could hurt. If players get a taste of your coaching staff then get drafted somewhere else, they'll know a lot about the way your coaches approach the game.

It would be interesting to see what teams have coached Senior Bowls and how well it affects them in the subsequent draft.

Huh?

Because Gus plans on handing out the 2014 Jaguars playbook to those attending?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Senior bowl roster as of now:

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/1/2/52...south-team

The players haven't yet been divided into North/South teams but you'll have a pretty good idea of those who will be in the south by geography alone.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:lolwut?  Talk about grasping for negative straws.

Quote:Huh?

Because Gus plans on handing out the 2014 Jaguars playbook to those attending?

Careful now...  don't feed the trolls.

Quote:Last 12 coaches to coach in the Senior Bowl:

2008 <b>South</b> <b>17</b> North 16 Lane Kiffin, Oakland Raiders Mike Nolan, San Francisco 49ers notes

2009 <b>South</b> <b>35</b> North 18 Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars notes

2010 <b>North</b> <b>31</b> South 13 Jim Schwartz, Detroit Lions Tony Sparano, Miami Dolphins notes

2011 <b>South</b> <b>24</b> North 10 Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati Bengals Chan Gailey, Buffalo Bills notes

2012 <b>North</b> <b>23</b> South 13 Leslie Frazier, Minnesota Vikings Mike Shanahan, Washington Redskins notes

2013 <b>South</b> <b>21</b> North 16 Dennis Allen, Oakland Raiders Jim Schwartz, Detroit Lions

Only 2 on there are still currently head coaches. I wouldn't call it an advantage to coach in the Senior Bowl. Just seems like "Eh... ok"

Does it mean we are definitely going to hit on our draft picks because we are coaching? Absolutely not. Will it help? Probably not that much since the players we want to draft as underclassmen (Clowney, Manziel, Bridgewater)

But there's a whole lot in determining whether a coach succeeds/fails/gets fired that has nothing to do with the Senior Bowl.

In other words, a coach can gain an additional perspective working with the players at the Senior Bowl, but still have other deficiencies in the organization, on the team, or just plain bad luck that could contribute to him being fired.

Besides, it's not as if the coaches at the Senior Bowl are allowed to draft every player they like from the roster.  Most teams have one pick in a given round.  After that pick is expended, other teams get to pick from those players, too.  

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Careful now...  don't feed the trolls.

Yeah, so obvious

;

;

I understand that there are more rounds than just round 1 but if coaching the senior bowl made that much of a difference, wouldn't more coaches be chomping at the bit to coach?

Champing at the bit. And no.

Because the Senior Bowl coaching staff jobs are "awarded" to the sorriest teams in the NFL. ATL got theirs from being the sorriest team with a staff still in place after us.

Likely NFL coaches aren't wanting to have the worst record just to coach and scout the senior bowl.

These players will gravitate to Bradley

Gene's Myth

Makes me actually want to watch the senior bowl. I like the fact that our coaches will get to work with the top seniors in college football. If anything, its an advantage to our draft class
No commercial messages in sigs

This will be fun. I think the players will really like Bradley. It's better than normal, Bradley will be able to see how players react to his coaching and who would be the best fit in his scheme.

If that's the case, lock everyone up on our roster for 7 years, and don't cut anyone. Our secret awesome playbook will get out if we do. Hope teams we play don't do any film study.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM by Bullseye.)

First, off, coaches wouldn't necessarily be enthused about coaching the Senior Bowl since it usually means they are not in the playoffs.  If they are not in the playoffs, there may be a concern about whether or not they will still remain employed.  Who knew that Chudzinski would be fired after a year?

Secondly, how would you know what level of demand there is for Senior bowl coaching assignments?  Is there a general criteria where coaches can apply to coach the game, or is there a specific criteria which would render advocacy for self a moot point? 

I do not wish to caricature those of you on the other side of this debate, but your position makes me think you believe more information on a given player is somehow a bad thing.

I think if coaching the players for a week in mobile gives a coaching staff/GM, etc, some indicia of a player's coachability, athletic ability, football knowledge/acumen, work ethic, how well they relate to others, etc., that they otherwise would not get-even if it is just a little (i.e. first hand knowledge of these things vs. second hand reports from scouts who talk to coaches), I'm all for it, understanding it isn't a panacea.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

One of the most likely scenarios is you'll have a lot of guys entering the league in 2014 who are going to want to play for Bradley after being exposed to his coaching style at the Senior Bowl.  While this has no bearing on anything for the guys who wind up being drafted, it will have an impact when you get to un-drafted free agency as players will have the ability to pick the teams they want to go to. 

There's a lot of competition for these players, so having a bit of an advantage never hurts. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Well, you must admit that the coaching staff that is working with the players both in practice and during the game will get a little more insight into each player's potential than those just observing.

You could probably only admit that if you had an idea of what the coaching/being coached experience is like. Kind of the whole "you need to experience it before you can comment on it" type of thing.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

@RapSheet: @ryanohalloran Look into the history of teams that have coached the Senior Bowl and who they’ve drafted & hit on. It’s very strong.

Does anybody know if bradley has made the trip to the senior bowl as a member of the Seahawks or bucs?

In reading FBT's reply above,  an additional benefit that comes to mind should occur 4 years from now.   When many players from this year's draft crop become UFA's,  if the G.M. and/ or coaches from the 2014 Senior Bowl are still in place in Jacksonville,  they can use the insight they gained from Senior Bowl week to help with the decision making process.

Related to this,  if a player from the 2014 Draft crop gets released in the coming seasons,  the info from Senior Bowl week can help in the decision making process whether to put a waiver claim in for that player.