Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Rocksmith 2014

Example..

http://youtu.be/Oo_D0rozqwI

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I know all the techniques you mentioned too, just did it the hard way. Not via some gimmicky method. 

I've never played Rocksmith but I know people who have. They said yeah it was a neat little program, but they also said that nothing beats the old way and actually going to school for proper music theory; that this is nothing but microwave guitar lessons. 

As an ascending player myself, I'll check it out, but I am almost positive I'll find that what my musician friends say about it will ring true.

So which school did yo go to?

Wow, that pretty cool. I Think he will be able to enjoy and benefit from this greatly. He watches a lot of videos on YouTube now. So, I'm sure he'll like this and will be better help than trying to figure out on his own. He took a class or two at school but was unable to get another guitar class this semester.

Quote:Wow, that pretty cool. I Think he will be able to enjoy and benefit from this greatly. He watches a lot of videos on YouTube now. So, I'm sure he'll like this and will be better help than trying to figure out on his own. He took a class or two at school but was unable to get another guitar class this semester.
That's what I take from it too.. Good stuff..

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 11:00 PM by WingerDinger.)

BTW, that 97% up there for Cemetary Gates, literally rocks.. I'm only at 35% haha

The game also lets you stop, slow down and repeat all measures and bars so if you need to work on a specific chord or picking, you can..

Quote:Wow, that pretty cool. I Think he will be able to enjoy and benefit from this greatly. He watches a lot of videos on YouTube now. So, I'm sure he'll like this and will be better help than trying to figure out on his own. He took a class or two at school but was unable to get another guitar class this semester.

FWIW I used to teach guitar lessons, and I would recommend looking into it also. The absolute biggest hurtle to cross when teaching someone to play guitar is to keep them engaged, especially when a particular technique doesn't come quickly or easily to him/her.

I can't tell you how many students I had quit because their fingers were still really sore after two weeks, or they had a hard time learning to hold a pick properly, or couldn't quite get down that F chord etc.

I think at the very least this game would help your son stay engaged in learning.

Oh, and as far as learning via YouTube, I think the Justinguitar channel gives pretty solid free lessons on there. Hope he sticks with it!

Quote:BTW, that 97% up there for Cemetary Gates, literally rocks.. I'm only at 35% haha

The game also lets you stop, slow down and repeat all measures and bars so if you need to work on a specific chord or picking, you can..

I'd pay $80 just for the jam session feature, it looks pretty cool to me.

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013, 11:09 PM by WingerDinger.)

Quote:FWIW I used to teach guitar lessons, and I would recommend looking into it also. The absolute biggest hurtle to cross when teaching someone to play guitar is to keep them engaged, especially when a particular technique doesn't come quickly or easily to him/her.

I can't tell you how many students I had quit because their fingers were still really sore after two weeks, or they had a hard time learning to hold a pick properly, or couldn't quite get down that F chord etc.

I think at the very least this game would help your son stay engaged in learning.

Oh, and as far as learning via YouTube, I think the Justinguitar channel gives pretty solid free lessons on there. Hope he sticks with it!
Pain is gain.. Honestly, I wouldn't have recommended this to your students, but one of the best ways to build up calluses on the guitar fingers is to swab them about 3 times a day with rubbing alcohol.. That's an Eric Clapton trick. Also play, play and more play.. Calluses are good in this case haha

Quote:Pain is gain.. Honestly, I wouldn't have recommended this to your students, but one of the best ways to build up calluses on the guitar fingers is to swab them about 3 times a day with rubbing alcohol.. That's an Eric Clapton trick. Also play, play and more play.. Calluses are good in this case haha

I was a play and more play kinda teacher haha. You just gotta work through it. That was easily hands down the number one reason people would quit though.

Quote:I was a play and more play kinda teacher haha. You just gotta work through it. That was easily hands down the number one reason people would quit though.
Definitely understandable.. I almost gave up on it too when I first started, really glad I didnt.. I've left my line of blood down a fret board before too haha

I started by playing on 9's, then heard a tip to switch to thicker steels to toughen the calluses. I think I switched to either 11's or 12's.. damn sure did haha.. hurt like hell for the first few weeks, but paid off..

Quote:Definitely understandable.. I almost gave up on it too when I first started, really glad I didnt.. I've left my line of blood down a fret board before too haha

I started by playing on 9's, then heard a tip to switch to thicker steels to toughen the calluses. I think I switched to either 11's or 12's.. damn sure did haha.. hurt like hell for the first few weeks, but paid off..

I never had too much of a problem with the calluses but it took me a month to learn how to pick with a flat pick. I'm still not the most fleet picker ha.

What do you play with now? I still use 9's because I like big bends. I think 10's sound much nicer though.

Quote:I never had too much of a problem with the calluses but it took me a month to learn how to pick with a flat pick. I'm still not the most fleet picker ha.

What do you play with now? I still use 9's because I like big bends. I think 10's sound much nicer though.
I usually tend to bounce back and forth from Elixer 9's and 10's.. Yeah 9's will definitely give you better bend but I like 10's for finger tapping.

What kind of guitar do you play?

Found another fun one to play.. 

Foo Fighter's Everlong.. 60.6% mastery level  Banana

Quote:I usually tend to bounce back and forth from Elixer 9's and 10's.. Yeah 9's will definitely give you better bend but I like 10's for finger tapping.

I can barely remember to be honest. I have a G&L - I think it's a Rampage, a Schecter Semi-Hollow (no idea on the model) and a Franken-Guitar that I made out of spare parts and refinished.

I also have a Music Man 5-string bass that's pretty fun to play on if you have a drummer to play with.

The Schecter is by far my favorite to play though. I replaced the pickups with some Seymour Duncans and that along with the hollow body gives it some really nice tone.

Quote:I can barely remember to be honest. I have a G&L - I think it's a Rampage, a Schecter Semi-Hollow (no idea on the model) and a Franken-Guitar that I made out of spare parts and refinished.

I also have a Music Man 5-string bass that's pretty fun to play on if you have a drummer to play with.

The Schecter is by far my favorite to play though. I replaced the pickups with some Seymour Duncans and that along with the hollow body gives it some really nice tone.

Nice. I like Duncan more than Humbucker. I have a Gibson Epiphone and a BC Rich Warlock's Revenge with the widow headstock. The Warlock has Duncans in it.

This thread just be pinned for TMD poster boy behavior. First, someone's opinion of what is fun is somehow wrong, then he declares a game to be a Cliff's Notes version without having even seen it.

Anyway, that game looks like a great way to learn, and really puts the same techniques of learning to use that I used 40 years ago, only in a more accessible and graphical format. I wasn't very good at reading music, so it was a lot of stopping and starting songs, repetition, repetition, repetition. 

I haven't played in a long time, but love studying guitarists. I have a 1960 Fender Jazzmaster that hasn't been out of the case in years.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I never had too much of a problem with the calluses but it took me a month to learn how to pick with a flat pick. I'm still not the most fleet picker ha.

I used to use d'addario 9's....now have exclusively used some bronze 10's that my music store recommended. I like the10's sound a lot better. 

Quote:I usually tend to bounce back and forth from Elixer 9's and 10's.. Yeah 9's will definitely give you better bend but I like 10's for finger tapping.

Kramer ZX 10 active pickups / airbrushed/ painted as a George Lynch clone

Also have a Ibanez acoustic electric. 

Quote:I used to use d'addario 9's....now have exclusively used some bronze 10's that my music store recommended. I like the10's sound a lot better.

Kramer ZX 10 active pickups / airbrushed/ painted as a George Lynch clone

Also have a Ibanez acoustic electric.
Yeah.. you already talked yourself out of this conversation.. Hate to be rude, as you were, but nobody cares..

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013, 10:10 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Yeah.. you already talked yourself out of this conversation.. Hate to be rude, as you were, but nobody cares..

Hahahaha, way to act like a jerk. smh... 

All I said was the song you liked wasn't good. or all that hard to play. Sorry that offended you so much. 

I guess regarding music I'm thicker skinned than you. 

Quote:Example..

http://youtu.be/Oo_D0rozqwI

Awesome video, I used to play guitar all the time when I was younger, I used to be able to read music could play all the riffs but man it's been YEARS. I can't read music anymore, but I find myself wanting to pick up the old guitar again, That said the video looks WAY more confusing to me then the sheet music I used to be able to read. It does however look like more fun then the sheet music I used to be able to read.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]