Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Comet ISON

I wanna boink in space. :yes:

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I wanna boink in space. :yes:
Lol, did you catch that show talking about that and if it was possible, what type of equipment would be needed to help accomplish it, and wether of not the girl could get pregnant?

Oh, I might add the equipment wasn't just the he and she organs. More like intergalactic space swings.

Quote:Lol, did you catch that show talking about that and if it was possible, what type of equipment would be needed to help accomplish it, and wether of not the girl could get pregnant?

Oh, I might add the equipment wasn't just the he and she organs. More like intergalactic space swings.

Intergalactic space swings? Who are you trying to boink with that's not at least inside our own galaxy? :blink:

Quote:Intergalactic space swings? Who are you trying to boink with that's not at least inside our own galaxy? :blink:
Hey, just reporting what I saw.

Also I just wanted to use the word, intergalactic.

I'm reminded of Incredibad.

I bet any man would be feeling very proud when they see the distance they can, uh, uh, you know, shoot it in space.

Quote:I bet any man would be feeling very proud when they see the distance they can, uh, uh, you know, shoot it in space.

Houston, we have a problem.

Quote:I wanna boink in space. :yes:

Do you think it's ever happened?  We have women and men on these space missions, I wonder if there hasn't been a top-secret NASA experiment, sex in space, volunteers only?   Or maybe two of them just snuck off to the escape pod and had a quickie?  

Quote:Do you think it's ever happened? We have women and men on these space missions, I wonder if there hasn't been a top-secret NASA experiment, sex in space, volunteers only? Or maybe two of them just snuck off to the escape pod and had a quickie?

NASA denies it pretty vehemently. It's just not very high in research priorities. There has been a husband and wife in space at the same time, but prior to marriage. It's highly doubtful any have snuck off for a quickie. For one, lack of privacy. For another, you have to remember that astronauts are ambitious individuals who all want to return to space. Nothing would kill their careers faster than engaging in unauthorized activities.

The Russians deny it, but who knows with them.

I find it sad to understand how much there is out there that we are missing. Very interesting, but very sad. ... Everything is out there, nothing you can possibly think of is not out there, not one thing.

Right?

Quote:I find it sad to understand how much there is out there that we are missing. Very interesting, but very sad. ... Everything is out there, nothing you can possibly think of is not out there, not one thing.

Right?
I'm thinking of a one eyed one horn flying purple people eater.

Let me know when Hubble finds it.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2013, 10:43 PM by Unravel.)

Quote:I'm thinking of a one eyed one horn flying purple people eater.

Let me know when Hubble finds it.

Is it purple and eats people or does it eat purple people? One is worrying for our species, the other is not.

It's kind of like the whole "Let's eat Grandma!" vs. "Let's eat, Grandma!" thing. One is worrying for Grandma, the other is not.

Quote:I find it sad to understand how much there is out there that we are missing. Very interesting, but very sad. ... Everything is out there, nothing you can possibly think of is not out there, not one thing.

Right?

It's entirely possible that there is something that doesn't exist. For example, it's entirely possible that there is no atom where the electrons are found in the nucleus. It's also entirely possible that there is no phone booth that grants the user the capability of traveling through time. Yet we are able to think of those things.

Now, if you accept the idea of the quantum multiverse then it is entirely possible for everything to exist. I suppose it then depends on whether or not you believe that our Universe the one and only universe. I consider it unlikely given that everything we seem to think is one of a kind isn't - we're the only planet? Nope. We're the only solar system? Nope. We're the only galaxy? Nope. We're the only universe? ...

Quote:I find it sad to understand how much there is out there that we are missing. Very interesting, but very sad. ... Everything is out there, nothing you can possibly think of is not out there, not one thing.

Right?

Me. Boinking in space. That's not out there. Not yet, anyways.

C'mon Virgin Galactic! C'mon big lottery win!

Quote:Me. Boinking in space. That's not out there. Not yet, anyways.

Everything is out there, except an end. AND WE are missing it. We are missing everything.  Wink

Quote: 

We're the only universe? ...

Nope ... If space could end, what is past the end? Whatever is past the end is the beginning of something else that ends into another beginning.  Huh

(This post was last modified: 12-13-2013, 10:47 PM by Unravel.)

Quote: 

Everything is out there, except an end. AND WE are missing it. We are missing everything.  Wink

<div>Nope ... If space could end, what is past the end? Whatever is past the end is the beginning of something else that ends into another beginning.  Huh

</div>

Unless something is infinite there has to be an end. The question is: what is infinite? Is it our Universe? Is it the Multiverse? or is it something even bigger than the Multiverse? The sad truth is that we may never know. It may be physically impossible for us to know. For example, we may live in a multiverse but what we are and what we make may only be capable of existing under this universe's laws of physics. This would make it extraordinarily difficult to know if there is anything beyond the multiverse or the size of the multiverse if we are physically limited to this set of laws.

Alternatively we may live in a finite universe that has no edge. For example, our universe could be a sphere and when we get to the "edge" of the sphere we would just wrap back around. For example if you live in Indianapolis and you fly all the way around the world and pass over Indianapolis again you've covered all of a finite world without having a true edge. Another theory is that our Universe is shaped a bit like a donut. Again giving the possibility of covering the vastness of a finite universe without having an edge. Another hypothesis is that our universe acts like the game Asteroids. You leave one side and enter the opposite.

The whole thing is very, very fascinating. It's kind of sad that so many people assume that the universe must either be infinite or have an "edge" so to speak. Now, this doesn't discredit your idea of requiring something to be beyond the end, it just may redefine what the end is. Many people think that the end of the universe is a lot like the end of a table when in fact the end could be a lot like the "end" of the Earth (exiting it's atmosphere and entering orbital space).

Quote:Me. Boinking in space. That's not out there. Not yet, anyways.

Well, technically you're still "out there". You just happened to be tethered to a really big ball.

Quote:Well, technically you're still "out there". You just happened to be tethered to a really big ball.

C'mon now, you're giving away my boinking scene.

Quote:Alternatively we may live in a finite universe that has no edge. For example, our universe could be a sphere and when we get to the "edge" of the sphere we would just wrap back around.

Space in general can't be finite, it has to be infinate. Something has to be outside the sphere. Space can't end, because nothing can't exist. There can't be a limitation to space, because something is outside the limitation. A sphere has a border, I don't think space can have a border.

Quote:Space in general can't be finite, it has to be infinate. Something has to be outside the sphere. Space can't end, because nothing can't exist. There can't be a limitation to space, because something is outside the limitation. A sphere has a border, I don't think space can have a border.

Why not? Nothing else we know of is infinite and each of the scenarios I presented is a scenario in which it's possible to be finite in size without having a definitive edge. Sure, you can pass the same place more than once but there is no actual edge. No one point on a sphere is the edge of that sphere. Think about it like this: You're stuck to/in the "skin" of a really big ball. You cannot get yourself off of this ball and you cannot get yourself through this ball. The ball, however, is flexible so you can raise or lower your elevation (bending space). Is there actually something beyond that ball?

This is, of course, purely speculation and off-hand discussion. I have no data or observations to support this idea. I'm also not arguing that it has to be finite, just that it shouldn't be discarded as a possibility because of an inability to perceive how everything can be finite.

Quote:Have you ever read Stephen King's book "The Gunslinger"? If not, there is a discussion that takes place regarding "size" and how the finite brain cannot comprehend the infinite, even though it thinks it can. Whenever I start into the realm of space and the like, I always think back to that. It's a very interesting perspective.

Quote:Why not? Nothing else we know of is infinite and each of the scenarios I presented is a scenario in which it's possible to be finite in size without having a definitive edge. Sure, you can pass the same place more than once but there is no actual edge. No one point on a sphere is the edge of that sphere. Think about it like this: You're stuck to/in the "skin" of a really big ball. You cannot get yourself off of this ball and you cannot get yourself through this ball. The ball, however, is flexible so you can raise or lower your elevation (bending space). Is there actually something beyond that ball?

This is, of course, purely speculation and off-hand discussion. I have no data or observations to support this idea. I'm also not arguing that it has to be finite, just that it shouldn't be discarded as a possibility because of an inability to perceive how everything can be finite.
I think Deacon's Stephen King argument is a much more "well-rounded" approach to this question. The farthest that Humans have ever traveled is the Moon. And even our deep space probes like Voyager 1 have only recently, just left the Solar System. And keep in mind that, that thing is travelling at a top speed of 38,610 MPH. And it's still not anywhere near as fast as some celestial objects out there. Heck, our entire Solar System is said to travel at a speed of almost 515,000 MPH.  And it still would take us millions, if not billions of years to travel across our own Galaxy. 

And to think that our Galaxy is one of only an "infinite" amount of Galaxies out there. We're still not entirely sure how big our Universe really is. That's why Astronomers only call our part of the Universe the "Observable Universe". I.E. only the parts of the Universe that we can see from Earth. We're not entirely certain if our Universe is the only Universe out there.

Basically the point is, is that the Universe is so big, that "Big" really isn't the best word to describe it. The Human mind simply cannot comprehend it.

Quote:This is, of course, purely speculation and off-hand discussion. I have no data or observations to support this idea. I'm also not arguing that it has to be finite, just that it shouldn't be discarded as a possibility because of an inability to perceive how everything can be finite.

Ha, so you succumb to my torture that space never ends. Smile

You use shapes to discuss a finite space. Space can not have a shape. Considering space in any shape means there is an outer space, space. Tongue

It can't end. I consider the end of space to be impossible. You can travel one direction and come back to the starting location, which puts you on a sphere ... a sphere is a shape, space cannot have a shape. :blink: