Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Youch! NFL.com harsh words for the jaguars

Man, we turned on Bortles quick didn't we?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2016, 09:37 AM by StitchJones.)

Quote:Any prospective coach would know that he has a talented overall roster (that article itself said so), AND massive cap room, AND a very patient owner.   Bortles is in year 3 of his rookie deal, so it's not like a new coach would be hitched to him forever.   It's not like he has 5 years to go on a 6 year, $110 million deal.   There's no huge commitment to the guy, and there's no crippling cap hit that would come from moving on from him.  

Really this roster is in pretty good shape talent-wise, and very good shape cap-wise.   I don't see why this wouldn't be a very attractive situation for a prospective new head coach. 
We do have a substantial level of talent (at least on paper) on the roster... certainly more talent than our record would indicate. Deficiencies at key positions however have undermined the potential of this team. No need to point out the HC at this point; it's only too painfully obvious to everyone who haven't been living under a rock. It's our offensive line and our quarterback combination that is killing the potential of our offense that is loaded at running back and the receivers positions. I may also point out the our premier TE Julius Thomas isn't helping this team much either; it seems like after coming here he decided to just put the motor on 'cruise control', do his time and collect a paycheck. Thanks for nothing so far JT.

Bortles was drafted at #3 overall by Dave Caldwell... knowing he had deficiencies in his basic skills. That was a mistake by Dave Caldwell. So, Dave has selected a bad HC (unless Gus was never intended to be anything other than a 'sacrificial lamb' while the team was in rebuild mode) and a bad quarterback in Bortles. Let's face it, if the 'bottom line' is the 'bottom line' then we've been no better off with Bortles than we were with Blaine Gabbert... or even Chad Henne! At least Henne wasn't expected to be a star as a backup; he has never failed to live down to those expectations. Nevertheless, the combination of a bad HC with a bad 'franchise quarterback' is too much for any roster to overcome and can only lead to defeat and frustration for everyone... players and fans alike. It's a 'one/two combination that would kill any team.

Still, recovery isn't impossible; it's become pretty clear what the main problems are. They say that the first step in fixing any problem is to recognize the root source of the problem. We've added some nice talent to the roster but they've been like putting band-aids on a cancer; ultimately the cancer has to be removed/destroyed before recovery can begin. It's pretty clear that Gus won't (or at least shouldn't) be on the team after this season. He should probably be cut now... but that's a whole other discussion.

It may be in Bortles best interest to ride the bench the rest of the season and let one of the backups finish out the rest of the season; it's lost now anyway, so why let Bortles destroy his future as a NFL player by allowing him to bury himself so deeply in negative stats that no team will ever want to pick him up? He hasn't done many positive things for the Jags, but he's young and with proper coaching and time to develop he could eventually be a solid player.... just not for the Jags though. Yes, I think it's time to move on from the Bortles gamble and keep looking for a franchise quarterback; this time, one with solid fundamental skills and the mental game to go with it. I see Blake as no more than being a backup now. He has had his shot at glory and didn't cut it... much like Chad Henne.

We still need serious help on our o-line too. How many times does it have to be pointed out?

Quote:Man, we turned on Bortles quick didn't we?
We really didn't turn on him quickly though! He's in his third season and has progressively gotten worse instead of better. He was set up for failure though since he never had the pro-level fundamental skills at his position. Dave gave him a chance and he folded like a cheap jacket. Time to move on.

Quote:You know who else was kind of bad? Alex Smith.

Get the right coach and this team can make a turn around with Bortles.
He had good mechanics, but he's not known as "captain checkdown" for nothing.

Quote:He had good mechanics, but he's not known as "captain checkdown" for nothing.
That's not the point I'm making.

He was widely known as a bust for about 4 years and then good coaching came along and he improved by a lot.

This can happen with Blake.

Quote:3) Gus Bradley's not the biggest problem for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

While Jeff Fisher hovers around .500 on an annual basis, that's wishful thinking for Gus Bradley, who's now 14-44 in his three-plus years in Jacksonville. So, yes, to address the obvious: Bradley will soon be the ex-coach of the <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/teams/jacksonvillejaguars/profile?team=JAX'>Jaguars</a>, a 2-8 group that has miserably underachieved after an offseason full of hype and hope.

But don't think for a second that a coaching change will cure all of the ills in Jacksonville. This franchise has a deeper issue that might not be so easy to fix -- a problem at the most important position in the game today.
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/player/blakebortles/2543477/profile'>Blake Bortles</a> is terrible at football. His mechanics are out of whack -- like his confidence level. Every week, he makes mind-numbing decisions and serves up awful-looking picks. His passer rating (80.0) and yards per attempt (6.3) are both down from last season's figures (88.2, 7.3), while his interceptions (an NFL-high 13) are up.

So here's the big-picture question that must be considered: Who would be brave enough to hitch his wagon to Bortles? Which coaching candidate, while getting a talented overall roster put together by widely respected general manager Dave Caldwell, would take a chance on the underwhelming, underachieving Bortles? Josh McDaniels won't do it. Neither will David Shaw. Tom Coughlin? Mike Shanahan? Which up-and-coming coordinator would jump at this opportunity?

Bortles, who was the No. 3 overall pick just three years ago, makes a bad situation in Jacksonville worse.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000743894/article/carson-palmer-jeff-fisher-ted-thompson-expose-painful-truths'>http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000743894/article/carson-palmer-jeff-fisher-ted-thompson-expose-painful-truths</a>

I agree
The coach's ultimately responsible for the quality or lack of quality but I think Bradley's on the path to success which all hinges on Bortles

Well, when the truth comes to light, why deny what everyone sees?

Bortles needs to fix his mechanics.  If he can't do that, his NFL career is toast.  He needs competition next year, either from Brandon Allen or whoever they bring in. 

A direct result of his play quickly turning sour, which should be expected.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:You know who else was kind of bad? Alex Smith.

Get the right coach and this team can make a turn around with Bortles.
Alex Smith was never this mechanically bad. Also he didn't regress as poorly as Bortles.

Alex Smith was on talent deprived teams and in a bad situation where they were changing OCs every season and HCs almost as often.

He still isn't a light up the field QB but he gets the job done and plays consistent mistake free football. Some of this is Andy Reid sure. But too often #1 overall QBs go to really bad teams and without adding talent around the QB and keeping some continuity they flame out or "bust".

I'm not sure the task facing Bortles has ever been completed by a former top 5 QB selection.

In year 4 will he be able to fix fundamental flaws in his footwork, windup, and decision making, in one offseason while also improving enough to stave off any sort of competition and earn a contract extension, while proving dozens of pundits and critics wrong.

Good luck.

Not as quickly as he turned back into a rookie.

Many of us (myself included) were his biggest supporters. Even through the ugly stuff of yesteryear we were like "well he's gonna get better"

He got worse... and yet for most of this season we tried to excuse it away...

Until we realized... Bortles has been sacked less this year, is under pressure less this year.... his bad mechanics and poor decisions are all on him (and coaching but we've all jumped off the Gus Bus a long time ago)

I don't think he can turn it back around as quickly as he lost it and he'll likely be a project for some other team in 2018, imo.

Quote:Bortles doesn't go from playing great one season to playing terrible the next without some reason. You can have a fluke game, you can't have a fluke season.

Bortles has arm issues and this dim-witted coach won't address it. Blake's arm is dead, he has shoulder problems, and that leads to confidence problems. He should be on the bench healing, but Gus is determined to get wins to save his job he's sacrificing Bortles in the process.

Regards.......................the Chiefjag

BIngo!!!!

At least somebody gets it.

'02

Quote:BIngo!!!!

At least somebody gets it.
If y'all are going to stay on this narrative you have to argue that he's been hurt since training camp, cause he jumped straight into the preseason with these awful mechanics and duck hunting. 

Quote:3) Gus Bradley's not the biggest problem for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

<div> 
While Jeff Fisher hovers around .500 on an annual basis, that's wishful thinking for Gus Bradley, who's now 14-44 in his three-plus years in Jacksonville. So, yes, to address the obvious: Bradley will soon be the ex-coach of the Jaguars, a 2-8 group that has miserably underachieved after an offseason full of hype and hope.

But don't think for a second that a coaching change will cure all of the ills in Jacksonville. This franchise has a deeper issue that might not be so easy to fix -- a problem at the most important position in the game today.

Blake Bortles is terrible at football. His mechanics are out of whack -- like his confidence level. Every week, he makes mind-numbing decisions and serves up awful-looking picks. His passer rating (80.0) and yards per attempt (6.3) are both down from last season's figures (88.2, 7.3), while his interceptions (an NFL-high 13) are up.

So here's the big-picture question that must be considered: Who would be brave enough to hitch his wagon to Bortles? Which coaching candidate, while getting a talented overall roster put together by widely respected general manager Dave Caldwell, would take a chance on the underwhelming, underachieving Bortles? Josh McDaniels won't do it. Neither will David Shaw. Tom Coughlin? Mike Shanahan? Which up-and-coming coordinator would jump at this opportunity?

Bortles, who was the No. 3 overall pick just three years ago, makes a bad situation in Jacksonville worse.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ful-truths

I agree

</div>

I liken Bortles to Matt Stafford in that Stafford does not have perfect mechanics. Stafford had a big comeback year in 2011, then he fell off a cliff in a manner of speaking and his accuracy fell under 60 pct, his INT count went up, and in general his mechanics went a bit wayward. Essentially the Lions became very pass heavy and tried to put everything on Stafford's back. By the end of the 2013 season, Stafford's career was trending downwards. He was seen as a prolific passer but error prone with questionable mechanics. But that has since changed since Jim Caldwell became their head coach. Since then Stafford has been trending upwards and has gotten better each season under Caldwell. Last season he hit a career high in PCT at 67.2, he had his second best TD count (32) and threw only 13 INTs, and attempted only 592 passes which was the lowest since his rookie year (I'm discount his 3 game 2010 season). This season he's still completing around the same PCT at 67.8, he's thrown for 18 TDs to 5 INTs, and his QB rating is above a hundred for the first time. 

So in the past three seasons (this one being the third), Matt Stafford has changed and become a better quarterback than the one Jim Caldwell inherited. If Jim Caldwell and his staff can do that for Matt Stafford, then why can't the "right" head coach and the "right" coaching staff do the same for Bortles? 

At the end of the day we are asking Bortles to do too much, like the Lions were doing before Caldwell took over. If we take some of that pressure off Bortles' back by getting a strong running game, and then scheme offensively to Bortles' strengths, while obviously trying to work on his mechanics and get him as confident in them as he can be, then potentially he is fixable. He is unlikely to ever be in the Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers category, but if he can put up similar numbers and produce like Matt Stafford has done these past three seasons under Jim Caldwell, then we will have a good quarterback to lead our team. 

So I don't see candidates being put off by Bortles. If the difference between getting our ideal candidate is showing Bortles the door, then that ideal candidate needs to have a sure fire franchise quarterback lined up ready to succeed Bortles, if not, then we should look elsewhere and find someone else because Bortles is the least of our problems if the right head coach gets a hold of him next season. 

Quote:If y'all are going to stay on this narrative you have to argue that he's been hurt since training camp, cause he jumped straight into the preseason with these awful mechanics and duck hunting.

Chris Collinsworth was highlighting and talking about Bortles dropping the ball way too low and taking long windups. It was there in yellow highliting on national television for everyone to see.

That was in preseason game #3. Bortles was not hurt or fatigued back then.

He may be fatigued now. But, that would be due to the giant, irregular motion he's been sporting all season,, if that's even the case.

He's been throwing ducks at least as far back as the Ravens game. That Moseley INT; the ball was wobbling freaking sideways on the way down before it even got near Moseley. How Moseley was able to jump up and snag that floating duck is beyond me.

And, to me, Bortles was not "great" last season. He put up some numbers, yes. But, it was HARDLY consistent every game. And his decision making, fumbling, and poor INTs in fact caused losses last year too.

Quote:Chris Collinsworth was highlighting and talking about Bortles dropping the ball way too low and taking long windups. It was there in yellow highliting on national television for everyone to see.

That was in preseason game #3. Bortles was not hurt or fatigued back then.

He may be fatigued now. But, that would be due to the giant, irregular motion he's been sporting all season,, if that's even the case.

He's been throwing ducks at least as far back as the Ravens game. That Moseley INT; the ball was wobbling freaking sideways on the way down before it even got near Moseley. How Moseley was able to jump up and snag that floating duck is beyond me.

And, to me, Bortles was not "great" last season. He put up some numbers, yes. But, it was HARDLY consistent every game. And his decision making, fumbling, and poor INTs in fact caused losses last year too.
I remember, and I pointed it out before that even. While everyone was slobbering over the Arob sideline catch and the Hurns TD in preseason week 2 I posted that his mechanics had regressed. Little did I know how much of a harbinger that was at the time. 

I have also been the driver of the Bortles being average last year as well. The total numbers look good obviously, but every rate stat showed that he was pretty much exactly average. As I've said ad nauseam, he needs to not just get back to where he was last year he needs to take another large step forward from his 2015 version before he can be under consideration for franchise QB status. 

The funniest I remember from this last game was the announcers scrutinizing the replay because they thought someone must of tipped the ball, NOPE
A good loser is a good loser

Yeah, the mob wants blood and any sacrifice will do. Especially the group that loves to be the "first" to call something negative.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Yeah, the mob wants blood and any sacrifice will do. Especially the group that loves to be the "first" to call something negative.

Quote:I remember, and I pointed it out before that even. While everyone was slobbering over the Arob sideline catch and the Hurns TD in preseason week 2 I posted that his mechanics had regressed. Little did I know how much of a harbinger that was at the time. 

I have also been the driver of the Bortles being average last year as well. The total numbers look good obviously, but every rate stat showed that he was pretty much exactly average. As I've said ad nauseam, he needs to not just get back to where he was last year he needs to take another large step forward from his 2015 version before he can be under consideration for franchise QB status. 

Case in point.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Yeah, the mob wants blood and any sacrifice will do. Especially the group that loves to be the "first" to call something negative.
As opposed to the so called "bright" ones who want to give every jaguar an eternity to prove themselves.  If it were up to some we would still have Gene Smith and Blaine Gabbert around.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]