Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jags would be wise to extend Marqise Lee

There is no need to rush to extend Lee.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:you talking about Blackmon?

They both won the award. Just for reference, I posted the list since 2000 .. Some great players on the list, some meh but it's not a total indicator of success or longevity. Considering Mike Haas and Fitzgerald are on the list

Antonio Bryant

Pittsburgh

Josh Reed

LSU

Charles Rogers

Michigan State

Larry Fitzgerald

Pittsburgh

Braylon Edwards

Michigan

Mike Hass

Oregon State

<a class="" href='https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_Johnson_(American_football)' title="Calvin Johnson (American football)">Calvin Johnson</a>

Georgia Tech

Michael Crabtree

Texas Tech

Michael Crabtree

Texas Tech

Golden Tate

Notre Dame

Justin Blackmon

Oklahoma State

Justin Blackmon

Oklahoma State

Marqise Lee

USC

Brandin Cooks

Oregon State

Amari Cooper

Alabama

Corey Coleman

Baylor

Quote:I think Lee will have to get 6-8 million AAV, maybe more. Don't see why he couldn't get close to Hurns on the open market.

The highest total team salary for the WR position is the Cardinals at 26 million. Add Arob getting ~15 mil a year and that's at least 30 million + probably 3 more million in the rest of the WR depth.

It is technically possible yes, but do you really think we would lead the entire league in positional payroll by 30% over #2? I just don't think that happens.

I do. Our WR's could arguably be all #1's in this league. Caldwell drafted him high, I doubt he just lets him walk. He knows how special Lee can be.

Lee looks good this year. I would extend his contract. He's not getting hurt, He's not fumbling. That's a win win if you're a Jaguar.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote: 

Lee has a great first step which sets him apart from most of the guys with his build/speed, now try be honest with yourself, how many guys come into the league every year with his build and speed? 

I'm going to go google some of this now, so build your case

It's not about the awards.  It's not about the 40 time. He's demonstrating clearly with his play in the NFL this season that he's more than just "solid." 

There may be a dozen WRs that come into the league each year with similar traits on paper.  I'd guess 4 or 5 of the dozen end up as a #2 or #3 on the team that selected them. The others fall by the wayside, battle injury, or bounce around the waiver wire before finding a niche down the depth chart somewhere. 

How many "guys" like him come around each year is also of no consequence in my mind regarding extending Lee.

His play has earned him receiving an offer. And his injury history means he'll be a little bit cheaper than he would have been.

He'll probably get an offer of extension in the summer, but it comes down to whether he and his agent want to chase bigger money elsewhere when his contract is up. 

Cyp needs extending first. Playing aome excellent football now he doesn't have to compensate for the guy lined up next to him.

If they resign Cyprien for more than 3 mil I'm going to throw up. Hell I wouldn't even resign him. He makes no plays and in his fourth year he just learned how to hit. How many interceptions and fumbles he's caused collectively? I bet it's a joke of a number.

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2016, 12:52 AM by Banatha.)

mult post

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2016, 12:52 AM by Banatha.)

multi post

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2016, 12:49 AM by Banatha.)

Quote:If they resign Cyprien for more than 3 mil I'm going to throw up. Hell I wouldn't even resign him. He makes no plays and in his fourth year he just learned how to hit. How many interceptions and fumbles he's caused collectively? I bet it's a joke of a number.
2014 second in the league in DB Tackles
2015 seventh in the league in DB tackles
2016  first in the league in DB tackles
Seems pretty good for a safety making no plays and just learning how to hit. You better be prepared to throw up a lot.

Here we go again with "Cyp sucks"

Your not watching the team play if.your saying this. Cyp is playing great football. Leads all Strong Safeties in tackles. I think he leads the league in tackles among DBs period. He's not a ball hawk.

Quote:you talking about Blackmon?
Good catch. I confused the two concerning the award. They both won it, but it was Blackmon who won it twice.  

Regardless - I think his play this season (if he stays healthy and available) has earned him an offer to extend. He may not take it and opt to wait until his contract is up and he has a chance to get more production on film  -- but I'd at least try to extend him this summer if I were GM. 

Lee would be crazy to accept 5 million a year. Eddie Royal is making that in Chicago. I'd say he'll be looking for around 8 million if he stays healthy.

Cyps playing better but still is pretty average at best.

Quote:Lee would be crazy to accept 5 million a year. Eddie Royal is making that in Chicago. I'd say he'll be looking for around 8 million if he stays healthy.

Yes.  I think the Jags will try to extend him for 6 - 7 million per year and his agent will say they are holding out for 10 million plus  - then they'll end up taking 8.5 - 9 mill from a different team.  

His agent is going to compare him to Emmanuel Sanders and ask for that kind of money.  The injury history will limit that. But when you look at   Decker's and Torrey Smith's salaries  -- there's a decent precedent for him to make more than 7 million a year.

(that's ^ if he stays healthy through end of contract) 

Quote:Yes. I think the Jags will try to extend him for 6 - 7 million per year and his agent will say they are holding out for 10 million plus - then they'll end up taking 8.5 - 9 mill from a different team.

His agent is going to compare him to Emmanuel Sanders and ask for that kind of money. The injury history will limit that. But when you look at Decker's and Torrey Smith's salaries -- there's a decent precedent for him to make more than 7 million a year.

(that's ^ if he stays healthy through end of contract)

If I'm Lee and his agent I don't accept anything less than 8 million per year. Its a tough one because the talent is clear and he's producing despite everything that's going on.

Personally I'd let him leave. We have Arob and Hurns + I think Lee's speed can be replaced in the draft.

Quote:If I'm Lee and his agent I don't accept anything less than 8 million per year. Its a tough one because the talent is clear and he's producing despite everything that's going on.

Personally I'd let him leave. We have Arob and Hurns + I think Lee's speed can be replaced in the draft.
Because Hurns has been so good this season......

Quote:Because Hurns has been so good this season......

Nah he hasn't been great. I blame that more on the mess we call Bortles though. Still on pace for 800 yards or so. Solid #2 numbers.

They could certainly move forward without Lee.  I don't really think it's a good idea, but they could.  

I really like the PS player Rashad Lawrence (assuming his injury isn't too serious) and Benn is an untapped resource now that he's healthy.

Those guys are solid #3 receivers. Greene could be too. 

So - they could actually get by with what they already have on the roster - especially if Greene can get his act together. 

i just think Lee's speed is worth keeping around if you can work the number$. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see them go forward with Lee and Hurns. ARob is going to want a huge payday and I don't think they'll give it him.