Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions From the Bengals Game

Agree NYC. I didn't bring it up but I'll certainly not continue.

37 plays could be a reason as to why we only had 2 sacks and no turnovers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-06-2017, 02:19 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: Bullseye, you make great points as usual except for I disagree with you on the homefield situation and this is coming from a loyal season ticket holder. This team lost a lot of credibility and Equity with this fan base based on their subpar performances over a 10 year span, in addition to an unattractive home schedule for drawing away fans and most importantly, the boycott of the NFL team because many people are in their feelings with the kneeling of the national anthem it's all coming to a head when it come to Fan attendance. However, it's not just like that here it's attendance issues all over the NFL except for the traditionally good franchises with big markets.

Even the big markets have been posting attendance hits.  Most teams have those PSL's so they don't get people willing to give up their seats but they do choose to stay home in protest.  The camera shots looked good yesterday at the bank.  I thought maybe attendance was up.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 12:11 PM by Bullseye.)

There was one series in the game that illustrates just how far this team has come since the Bradley era.

In the first half, Bortles wound up moving to his right.  I don't know whether Marrone and Hackett set this up, the Bengals spectacularly blew a coverage, or some combination of the two, but Marcedes Lewis was wide open deep down the left sideline.  Bortles got the pass off, but for whatever reason, he and Lewis could not connect on the play.  The play produced a stadium wide groan.  Had the fans in the stadium been posting here, you would have seen a collective "#becausejaguars."

In seasons past, all momentum the drive generated to that point would have evaporated and the drive would have come to a screeching halt.  We would have settled for a FG at best (or with Myers would have missed it), the other team would have scored and the losing would commence.

This year, the offense brushed it off. This year, the offense continued to run the ball down the Bengals throats and put it in the end zone.  This year, Jaguars dominance, the stubborn imposition of will, was confirmed.

It was beautiful to watch.

It was also good to know Bortles shared the fans mindset by wanting to score on that last possession.  As much extra curricular nonsense going on from the Bengals, I don't think many would have objected to running up the score.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(11-06-2017, 10:47 AM)Ronster Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 10:44 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: "Frankly, my life is not affected because of the Jags. I will boycott if they continue to kneel. It is the players giving a big middle finger to all Americans. Why would I want to pay to be insulted. This so called protest is a SHAM and it is players injecting politics into SPORT. I watch football to forget about politics. What does it matter anyway, the Jags will never win at home again. lol"

Some players are still kneeling......

Oh and they won at home yesterday. Thanks for stopping by though.

I see you have an issue with reading comprehension. Tell you what, when you grow up and become capable of having an adult conversation let me know, until then don't speak to me, because I will have you on ignore

How's he going to let you know when he's grown up if you block him?

Thank you all for the well wishes.

(11-06-2017, 12:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: There was one series in the game that illustrates just how far this team has come since the Bradley era.

In the first half, Bortles wound up moving to his right.  I don't know whether Marrone and Hackett set this up, the Bengals spectacularly blew a coverage, or some combination of the two, but Marcedes Lewis was wide open deep down the left sideline.  Bortles got the pass off, but for whatever reason, he and Lewis could not connect on the play.  The play produced a stadium wide groan.  Had the fans in the stadium been posting here, you would have seen a collective "#becausejaguars."

In seasons past, all momentum the drive generated to that point would have evaporated and the drive would have come to a screeching halt.  We would have settled for a FG at best (or with Myers would have missed it), the other team would have scored and the losing would commence.

This year, the offense brushed it off. This year, the offense continued to run the ball down the Bengals throats and put it in the end zone.  This year, Jaguars dominance, the stubborn imposition of will, was confirmed.

It was also good to know Bortles shared the fans mindset by wanting to score on that last possession.  As much extra curricular nonsense going on from the Bengals, I don't think many would have objected to running up the score.

That's very true.
It's a comparable moment to when the Texans scored a TD to open the second half in the first game of the season and the offense came back on and answered right away. Past years we would have lost composure and probably let the other team make a comeback.

About that specific play you are talking about (Bortles to Lewis) Blake explained well in the press conference, he was under pressure, saw Marcedes running open for the end zone but he had pressure and as he escaped it he lost sight of Lewis for a second and that was the time Marcedes stopped.
So Bortles threw where he thought Lewis was going to and not on the spot he stopped at and they failed to connect. He said he should have not thrown on the run but I think this kind of things can happen.
It could have been a deflating moment but the team kept rolling,it was great to see.

couple things I'd like to add.

I just rewatched the game and starting from the 12 minute mark in the 3rd quarter the Bengals only had 3 positive plays the rest of the game and they were all on different drives. This defense isn't just good, they are straight up bullying other teams. Without Ramsey, without Green our 2,3,4 corners completely worked their 2,3,4 receivers. The defensive line doesn't just get pressure, they completely collapse the pocket as a unit. Dalton did a good job of throwing the ball away or getting it out quickly to avoid the rush. It was on him all afternoon and our 2 sack performance does not do justice to how well they played today

Bortles. The throwing motion looks good, seems like the coaches have figured out how to get the most out of this unit without Arob. I'm really pissed we didn't get to see Arob this year because based off training camp they had designs of making him and Lee big play receivers. One thing I noticed a lot this week was a Levels concept. I'm sure we have run it in the past but it really seemed like Bortles has it figured out now, I think before he was forcing it to the wrong guy. This week he made some big plays with this, one was Lee coming across shallow and Lewis coming across on a deep out and they jumped the Lee route and Bortles slung a beautiful ball to Lewis for a big game. The concept was run a few other times and it seemed like Bortles made the right decision. He had about 40 yards or so of passes dropped today and played very well.

Special teams. The punt return pitch reverse was something I didn't know I wanted to see. I really like how these coaches are finding ways to get Grant involved in the game plan. The PR TD was a thing of beauty, no wasted movement just cut up field, thread the needle, push it to the outside and find your blockers.

Yeldon looks so much faster this year and has shown some pile pushing strength I don't remember him having.
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 02:55 PM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

If we keep playing like this, we're never going to get a top 5 or top 10 pick in the 2018 draft.

Great write up Bullseye. I'd like to add that the best thing about the Dareus acquisition is not only do we get a great player but Malik Jackson is stepping his game up IMO both in determination to show he's the hoss and because he can rest more. From the few times I saw crowd shots I thought that they filled in nicely. I'm a part of Generation Jaguar, born five years before the team played, and I agree that you'd think there would be more for crowds but with years of being bad, not many have much love for the Jags pair that with being a newer team we will never sell out like the old teams but it's coming.
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

I'm glad you are feeling better Bullseye and enjoy your write ups.

I was at the game yesterday and while I wouldn't say it was a packed house, there were definitely a lot more people at the game than the last home game.I know it's not a good visual for TV with all the empty seats, but there were a TON of people in the Bud Light Zone and FanDuelVille was very crowded. Both areas were packed the entire game.

The Jaguars have had issues with attendance for years, so seeing that trend continue should not surprise anyone. Winning consistently will cure a lot of the attendance issues I believe and it feels for the first time in a long time that the Jags may just be able to do that.
Season Ticket Holder - Sec 437

(11-06-2017, 02:55 PM)Flagler Jagsfan Wrote: If we keep playing like this,  we're never going to get a top 5 or top 10 pick in the 2018 draft.

— Krayzbklyn

Bullseye, I'm glad you are ok.

Thanks for your continuing efforts with the game thoughts and the weekly AFC South selections threads.

Regarding what you mentioned 15 days ago regarding the Jaguars having a chance to break the NFL sack record, the Jaguars Defense seems capable. Especially, with some Offenses on the struggle that have some huge problems. Regardless though, the Jaguars Defense on the field yesterday had the look of the best Jaguars Defense in the franchise's 23 season history. Unlike the unit from the 2004 to 2007 era, the 2017 Jaguars have a noticeably better pass rush.

(11-06-2017, 08:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What happened to Generation Jaguar? Kids born when the team was born are 21+ years old now making their own money. In theory, there should really be a waiting list to get tickets. What happened? Even before the political stuff, I am a little surprised we are having these attendance problems.

I'd say 2008-2015 happened.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(11-06-2017, 09:12 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 08:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: What happened to Generation Jaguar? Kids born when the team was born are 21+ years old now making their own money. In theory, there should really be a waiting list to get tickets. What happened? Even before the political stuff, I am a little surprised we are having these attendance problems.

I'd say 2008-2015 happened.

Word.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 09:37 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-06-2017, 02:19 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: Bullseye, you make great points as usual except for I disagree with you on the homefield situation and this is coming from a loyal season ticket holder. This team lost a lot of credibility and Equity with this fan base based on their subpar performances over a 10 year span, in addition to an unattractive home schedule for drawing away fans and most importantly, the boycott of the NFL team because many people are in their feelings with the kneeling of the national anthem it's all coming to a head when it come to Fan attendance. However, it's not just like that here it's attendance issues all over the NFL except for the traditionally good franchises with big markets.

I can understand that, though I still have a major problem with the idea of us having a winning team and still needing to attract visiting teams fans to sell the place out.

But I guess at this point, i'm getting the sense this could be the kind of season we haven't seen here in a long time.  If there is any way a home field advantage can help this team, I want it.  But sadly, I'm not sure we'll see the benefits from that until next year...or the Indy game at the earliest, and only then if we return to Jacksonville with only three losses.

(11-06-2017, 06:01 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Our defense is so awesome. Ramsey truly shuts down his side of the field. Bouye does too.  I knew once we jumped out to 10-0 we would win.

I had that feeling too, until Cincy came down and scored immediately after we took the 10-0 lead.

Had Yeldon not fumbled on that first drive...

(11-06-2017, 06:45 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Great post as usual, Bullseye.  Glad to hear you're okay.  Take care of yourself.  

About Marcell Dareus.  I'm pretty sure he was only in the game for 8 plays, but he was credited with 3 tackles and drew a holding penalty on another play.  I'd be really interested to see how many plays each defensive lineman played yesterday, but I don't know where to find that.  I know Dareus is going to be a huge help with the rotation, keeping guys fresh for the stretch run.

I'm very excited the team managed to add Dareus to this defense.

(11-06-2017, 07:07 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Glad to hear you're okay, Bullseye. One thing that stood out to me in this game is the surprising amount of depth we have. The next man up mentality seems to be strong. In part, that can be attributed to team cohesion. It's amazing how much has changed in one year.

That has been a most pleasant surprise to all of this.

Seeing Shatley, Wells, Myrick, et al come in and play the way they have has been great.  That said, I sincerely hope we don't lose any of our players to any serious injury.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 09:51 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-06-2017, 07:51 AM)copycat Wrote: Glad you are ok Bullseye!  

As for attendance, I am curious to see how it is this coming weekend with the "official" boycott in full effect.  I have several friends that are all in on the boycott.  With each win I see their resolve starting to fade however since this Sunday is Veteran's Day I believe attendance will be sparse again this weekend.

I still don't fully understand the rationale behind the boycott, to be honest.

Yes, I understand the concept of patriotism, but it isn't as if the team has not gone out of its way to demonstrate its love of country and admiration for the veterans over the years, well before the protests began.

I'm not even going to get into the constitutionality of the protests, or the flag code that renders this whole thing silly.

My whole thing is put the protest-from a Jaguars perspective, limited in scope and frequency-within the context of all the Jaguars have done as an organization (under Weaver and Khan) to demonstrate love of country.

(11-06-2017, 08:59 AM)NCJag Wrote: Great to hear you are well first and foremost.  I have personal experience with Shands.  They ARE good people.  Second, being in North Carolina with limited access, I enjoy your weekly write ups.  Even with the boycott in effect, I feel that the 60K in attendance in a military town is a pretty good showing for a team that is in a tie for division lead in September.  Take care of yourself and I look forward to your eventual playoff game impressions!

(Emphasis added)

It is my deepest hope I can do exactly three of them to end the season-all recounting Jaguars victories.   Smile

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 09:57 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-06-2017, 09:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Glad you're ok my dude.

One thing I'll disagree on is that the offense had a heck of a game. They need to score TDs. Offense only generated 16 points yesterday. Can't fumble on the 20. Can't settle for FGs. Gotta score TDs if this team wants to go deep.

I agree we need more point production.

That said, to hold the ball for 40 minutes and to not have any three and outs, the offense was damn effective.

That TOP disparity isn't just the defense getting off the field.  It's about the offense staying on it.

(11-06-2017, 10:19 AM)Kane Wrote: I noticed the sparse crowd at kickoff but looked like it filled in fairly well by the 2nd Q and by the 2nd half it looked normal.

I typically get to the games fairly early.  I notice not only do visiting fans tend to get to the stadium early, but it seems ours is typically a late arriving crowd.

Has anyone else noticed this?  If so, would you have any sense as to why that is?

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2017, 10:05 PM by Bullseye.)

(11-06-2017, 10:34 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I wanted another TD too after all the antics in the 2nd quarter so I don’t blame him for getting riled up with the coaches about it.

Agreed.  I never had any antipathy towards the Bengals before, but I wanted the Jaguars to score at the end.  That said, I want the Bengals to win next week.

(11-06-2017, 12:47 PM)irontrooper83 Wrote:
(11-06-2017, 12:04 PM)Bullseye Wrote: There was one series in the game that illustrates just how far this team has come since the Bradley era.

That's very true.
It's a comparable moment to when the Texans scored a TD to open the second half in the first game of the season and the offense came back on and answered right away. Past years we would have lost composure and probably let the other team make a comeback.

About that specific play you are talking about (Bortles to Lewis) Blake explained well in the press conference, he was under pressure, saw Marcedes running open for the end zone but he had pressure and as he escaped it he lost sight of Lewis for a second and that was the time Marcedes stopped.
So Bortles threw where he thought Lewis was going to and not on the spot he stopped at and they failed to connect. He said he should have not thrown on the run but I think this kind of things can happen.
It could have been a deflating moment but the team kept rolling,it was great to see.

The Houston response was an astute analogy!  I wouldn't have thought of it until you mentioned it, but it fits perfectly!

As to the play, yes, I remember Bortles had a guy in his face.  I'm just glad the offense was able to overcome it.

Well the teal looked fantastic. Loved seeing the crowd in teal too and the atmosphere in the second half was so loud. It goes hand in hand, when the fans have something to cheer they'll get going and give the players that extra lift.

Now Bortles, I've been critical, and Im not jumping back on the Blake bus but he has had back to back solid games now. My biggest worry was his confidence looked shot. He had no faith in the line, and felt he needed to win the game and make big plays. His passing was fine until his first mistake and then it was downhill from there and I didn't think he would be able to correct all that in a make or break season for him. 

But he's looked good the last few weeks. There's still the odd wobbly ball and batted passes but his throwing motion looks much better, his decision making is better, he's standing in the pocket and I think now he knows he just needs to make his plays, he's relaxed from trying to do too much.

I'm not saying he's turned the corner or anything but if he can continue to just make those pass plays that keep the chains moving and be able to improve bit by bit then we could have an O that can be effective with this D come December and maybe beyond.

Not that I'm getting ahead of myself!