Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Serious Question - Can Jags win a playoff game?

(12-26-2017, 09:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 09:16 AM)FBT Wrote: It's amazing what a difference 24  hours can make for the manic Jaguar fans on this board.

For a while now, these same fans have been talking about a deep playoff run.  They do what they've been known to do throughout franchise history, going to the west coast and losing, and suddenly there's no way they win a game in the playoffs.  I'd say it's embarrassing to watch how some fans react, but it's become so commonplace for the hand wringers that it's not worth the energy.

Don't forget that the OC is turrible and the first round back is a bust too.  Knees flying everywhere.

With all due respect the OC isn't taking home any awards this off-season for his run it up the gut on 1st and 2nd down predictability.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-26-2017, 09:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 09:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Don't forget that the OC is turrible and the first round back is a bust too.  Knees flying everywhere.

With all due respect the OC isn't taking home any awards this off-season for his run it up the gut on 1st and 2nd down predictability.

The problem with this "analysis" is that it seems to lack understanding of what has taken place this season. 

Here's what Fournette has done in wins he's been active in this season:
Houst:  126 APY - 1 TD
Balt:   80 APY - 1TD
Pitt:  182 APY  - 2 TD
bolts:   46 APY
browns:  118 APY
INdy:  79 APY  - 1 TD
Seatt:  119 APY - 1 TD

Now  - taking this ^ into account -  especially with what he did two weeks ago vs Seattle...

WHY the hell would you not give Fournette a chance to do his thing??  It has worked much more often than it hasn't and it's very difficult to gauge the injury and how it will affect him. Clearly - the injury seems to be affecting him more now than they would have hoped when they brought him back after sitting him for one week. 

If we want to complain about the predictability of running him on first down that's a bit more valid, but here's what really happened vs SF on first down in the first 3 quarters of football for those that are getting it wrong:

On 23 first down plays prior to the pass happy 4th quarter in SF - Bortles handed the ball to Fournette on 12 1st downs. 12 of 23.  8 of those 12 went for 4 yards or more and one was a TD.  There was also a first down pass to LF for 7 yards. Giving him only 13 of the 23 first down touches in the first three quarters. 

Tell me again what's so egregious about that?  ^

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2017, 10:35 AM by B2hibry.)

This team is notoriously bad against west coast offenses and old school zone beaters. Ironically, that is what the Jags will face in the playoffs. So, no surprise there is doubt in how far this team can go. When you add in the infighting and OC game planning bobbles, it’s quite rediculous to call fans doubt knee jerk. This last game was not an outlier example. While I believe most of us are absolutely elated the division is ours, it would be ignorant at best to believe the product put on the field against the tacks, jets, cards, and 49ers could get out of the locker room unscathed and beat an experienced team like the pats and steelers in the playoffs. The Jags inexperience has shined a time or two against lesser opponents.

P.S. I rewatched the early season tacks and steeler games and those teams moved the ball at will and exposed LBs again and again. Unless coverages are disguised, it will continue to be an issue.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

(12-26-2017, 10:32 AM)B2hibry Wrote: This team is notoriously bad against west coast offenses and old school zone beaters. Ironically, that is what the Jags will face in the playoffs. So, no surprise there is doubt in how far this team can go. When you add in the infighting and OC game planning bobbles, it’s quite rediculous to call fans doubt knee jerk. This last game was not an outlier example. While I believe most of us are absolutely elated the division is ours, it would be ignorant at best to believe the product put on the field against the tacks, jets, cards, and 49ers could get out of the locker room unscathed and beat an experienced team like the pats and steelers in the playoffs. The Jags inexperience has shined a time or two against lesser opponents.

P.S. I rewatched the early season tacks and steeler games and those teams moved the ball at will and exposed LBs again and again. Unless coverages are disguised, it will continue to be an issue.

You make a couple of good points and a bad one.  Blaming the OC and RB are absolutely uninformed knee jerk reactions as I clearly illustrated in a prior post/breakdown.  That OC is a big reason why Blake has had a better season this year and his play-calling has been far more balanced than the knee-jerkers are claiming. 

Your final P.S. point - is absolutely a real concern and legit reason for doubt. (as is the infighting to a lesser degree)

Yes...I also think the coaching staff mailed this game in. Hackett reverted back to 1st down draws most of the game. Most play-calls were straight forward with little to no creativity. I hope we see Hackett's better play-calling in the playoffs. And defensively, they better figure out how to shore up the middle of the field. Brady will have no problem throwing 50 times at our weakness.

(12-26-2017, 09:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 09:41 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Don't forget that the OC is turrible and the first round back is a bust too.  Knees flying everywhere.

What’s our offense ranked right now? 6th in yard per game and 5th in ppg. Yea.... he’s done terrible.

Colts won the Super Bowl after we put up 375 rushing yards.

One game at a time.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(12-26-2017, 11:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 09:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: With all due respect the OC isn't taking home any awards this off-season for his run it up the gut on 1st and 2nd down predictability.
What’s our offense ranked right now? 6th in yard per game and 5th in ppg. Yea.... he’s done terrible.

I agree Hackett has done well at times.  However, there have been plenty of times (including this last game) where he seems to call a middle-draw on every first down.  My criticism is poor game-planning, poor adjustments early in games, or a combination of both in these games.  And it hasn't been just one game.  It's been a handful.

(12-26-2017, 11:21 AM)Jest101 Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 11:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: What’s our offense ranked right now? 6th in yard per game and 5th in ppg. Yea.... he’s done terrible.

I agree Hackett has done well at times.  However, there have been plenty of times (including this last game) where he seems to call a middle-draw on every first down.  My criticism is poor game-planning, poor adjustments early in games, or a combination of both in these games.  And it hasn't been just one game.  It's been a handful.
He’s had more good games than bad games right? He’s playing with very average WRs and no TEs. I think he’s done a great job this season given the circumstances.

Again... 5th in points per game and 6th in yards. Look at the season as a whole instead of just these “handful of games.”

(12-26-2017, 11:26 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 11:21 AM)Jest101 Wrote: I agree Hackett has done well at times.  However, there have been plenty of times (including this last game) where he seems to call a middle-draw on every first down.  My criticism is poor game-planning, poor adjustments early in games, or a combination of both in these games.  And it hasn't been just one game.  It's been a handful.
He’s had more good games than bad games right? He’s playing with very average WRs and no TEs. I think he’s done a great job this season given the circumstances.

Again... 5th in points per game and 6th in yards. Look at the season as a whole instead of just these “handful of games.”

Yes....and when looking at his whole body of work this season I do agree with you.

We can both have fair and accurate observations here.

Overall, he's done a great job with this offense and personnel, I do agree with you.

However, his stubbornness or whatever it is to call middle-draws on the majority of first down in some games is just asinine.  It's either poor game-planning or poor in-game adjustments to what the other D is doing.  I understand they want to "establish" the run.  But you can also do that by running on downs other than 1st down.  Blake it a bazillion times more effective when we throw on 1st downs.  Game plan to be effective early (instead of a stubborn focus on establishing the run).  Just score points the most effective way possible...THEN...run the crap out of the ball the last half of the game.

For all I know maybe it's been by design but they better pull out all the stops in the playoffs.  IF they plan to keep calling 1st down draws in the playoffs then we will lose.

(12-26-2017, 11:41 AM)Jest101 Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 11:26 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: He’s had more good games than bad games right? He’s playing with very average WRs and no TEs. I think he’s done a great job this season given the circumstances.

Yes....and when looking at his whole body of work this season I do agree with you.

We can both have fair and accurate observations here.

Overall, he's done a great job with this offense and personnel, I do agree with you.

However, his stubbornness or whatever it is to call middle-draws on the majority of first down in some games is just asinine.  It's either poor game-planning or poor in-game adjustments to what the other D is doing.  I understand they want to "establish" the run.  But you can also do that by running on downs other than 1st down.  Blake it a bazillion times more effective when we throw on 1st downs.  Game plan to be effective early (instead of a stubborn focus on establishing the run).  Just score points the most effective way possible...THEN...run the crap out of the ball the last half of the game.

For all I know maybe it's been by design but they better pull out all the stops in the playoffs.  IF they plan to keep calling 1st down draws in the playoffs then we will lose.

They passed on 10 first downs before the start of the fourth quarter Sunday in SF.  The 13 other first downs were runs. 
12 of them were by Fournette.  9 of those 13 runs went 4 yards or more and one was a touchdown. 

So we're basically bashing four failed runs on first down in that game?  

Sure - I'd like to see Hackett get more creative on first down consistently. (he has done so in a number of games already) 
But he was pretty balanced Sunday - and we are literally talking about four 1st down runs being stopped in that game.  Not really a big number there.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2017, 01:04 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(12-26-2017, 11:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 09:50 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: With all due respect the OC isn't taking home any awards this off-season for his run it up the gut on 1st and 2nd down predictability.

His predictability will be detrimental against good teams.

(12-26-2017, 01:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-26-2017, 11:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: What’s our offense ranked right now? 6th in yard per game and 5th in ppg. Yea.... he’s done terrible.

No. Not executing will be detrimental.

This offense isn’t predictable in my opinion. We change our gameplay every week, the sign of a competent coaching staff.

Yes

(12-26-2017, 01:00 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:

How do you figure?

We've dominated most of the good teams we have played this year. It's the bad teams we struggle against.

To answer this, why yes. Yes they can.

No.

They can win more than one.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I'll go out on a limb and predict wins against both the Bills and Steelers.

We got our answer. Lol