Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
1st Half Playcalling

(01-07-2018, 09:23 PM)JaguarJosh05 Wrote: I was hoping we were playing small ball and just going through the motions biding our time until the playoffs but I guess the offense has just regressed that much since the middle of the season. Where is the team that scored 45, 44, 37 points? We spent almost a month controlling the ball and the game. Bortles was looking like Tom Brady with the highest passer rating in the league for December. Then for no apparent reason we went to San Fran and look like we have no clue what we're doing and that has continued into the postseason.

Blake Bortles remembered that he is Blake Bortles.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If you have a team built to run the ball and play good defense, you don't change that up in the playoffs. Playoff football offensively is generally more conservative for teams that are built to win that way like the Jags. You take what is given and you wait for your opponent to make the mistake(s). Also, when your defense is as opportunistic and can score with as much frequency as the Jags D has this year that only reinforces maintining the conservative approach. Be prepared for more of the same on offense early next week unless we can spring some of these runs or we get behind big early.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018, 04:39 PM by Setsuna00.)

I said this in the game thread and got jumped on by "true fans" jumping to conclusions. They can stay in ignorance for all I care.

(01-08-2018, 03:05 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: If you have a team built to run the ball and play good defense, you don't change that up in the playoffs.  Playoff football offensiveljy is generally more conservative for teams that are built to win that way like the Jags.  You take what is given and you wait for your opponent to make the mistake(s).  Also, when your defense is as opportunistic and can score with as much frequency as the Jags D has this year that only reinforces maintining the conservative approach.  Be prepared for more of the same on offense early next week unless we can spring some of these runs or we get behind big early.

When was the screen and passes behind the line of scrimmage given to us? Good take true fan. Silly and hopeless.

(01-07-2018, 03:43 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Trust me, I know Blake has played less than stellar so far, but I think a lot of it falls back on the play calling so far.  Everytime our playcalling tenses up and gets ultra conservative, our offense seems to struggle.  I struggle to see how our coaching staff hasn't identified this yet.  We've been light years better when we open it up and throw it downfield on early downs.  How many screens did we run in the 1st half?  We've been a terrible screen team the entire year.  Don't try to force what you want to work, just go with what works.

Hackett's latest interview really concerned me.  The dude has called several really good games this year!  However, he made a comment that when he hears talk that we've been passing a lot (and doing well) that he thinks, oh crap, we need to run more.  And vise versa (in order to stay balanced).

Two major problems here IMO...

1. What leader (an NFL offensive coordinator) should care what people around him think?  Be confidence in your abilities and game-plan.

2.  While balance is really important and beneficial you must do what works.  Some days you run to open up the pass and some days you pass to open up the run.

Right now, the Jags are in a 99% *pass to open up the run* situation.

(01-08-2018, 07:48 PM)Jest101 Wrote:
(01-07-2018, 03:43 PM)Jagzfanfromiowa Wrote: Trust me, I know Blake has played less than stellar so far, but I think a lot of it falls back on the play calling so far.  Everytime our playcalling tenses up and gets ultra conservative, our offense seems to struggle.  I struggle to see how our coaching staff hasn't identified this yet.  We've been light years better when we open it up and throw it downfield on early downs.  How many screens did we run in the 1st half?  We've been a terrible screen team the entire year.  Don't try to force what you want to work, just go with what works.

Hackett's latest interview really concerned me.  The dude has called several really good games this year!  However, he made a comment that when he hears talk that we've been passing a lot (and doing well) that he thinks, oh crap, we need to run more.  And vise versa (in order to stay balanced).

Two major problems here IMO...

1. What leader (an NFL offensive coordinator) should care what people around him think?  Be confidence in your abilities and game-plan.

2.  While balance is really important and beneficial you must do what works.  Some days you run to open up the pass and some days you pass to open up the run.

Right now, the Jags are in a 99% *pass to open up the run* situation.

Don't discount the fact that he's saying that for other reasons. As you said, Hackett calls a very good game when given tools to work with.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-08-2018, 09:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys are nuts.

Jaguars Football is run heavy, low risk, low score, clock shortening, defensive, field position football.

It's been this Way all year and will continue to be how we win games.

We didn't become the Greatest Show back in December, we just played bad teams. And now we're three wins from a title.

^  BINGO! (Worth quoting and reposting)

(01-08-2018, 08:55 PM)jagherd Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 09:07 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You guys are nuts.

Jaguars Football is run heavy, low risk, low score, clock shortening, defensive, field position football.

It's been this Way all year and will continue to be how we win games.

We didn't become the Greatest Show back in December, we just played bad teams. And now we're three wins from a title.

^  BINGO! (Worth quoting and reposting)

I agree with his post mostly, but one of those teams was the Seahawks. So we’ve proved we can pass and score high on a decent team.

(01-08-2018, 09:40 PM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 08:55 PM)jagherd Wrote: ^  BINGO! (Worth quoting and reposting)

I agree with his post mostly, but one of those teams was the Seahawks. So we’ve proved we can pass and score high on a decent team.

Yup.

The Seahawks are a decent team. But you gotta remember that they weren't as strong as before. They were really banged up on defense. And, IIRC, they didn't even get a hit ob Bortles the entire game. I don't think he was even touched,, the Jags Oline played terrific.  
Seattle kind of fell apart. They didn't even get into the playoffs.

All that aside though; that was a terrific/exciting game. The Jags offense looked good in that one for sure.