Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive game plan vs. Pitt.

Stay conservative and run the ball. If they load up in the box run crossing routes and an occasional deep pass but be smart with the football. Rely on the defense. If the steelers start to get ahead by 2 scores then open it up and go down swinging.

I would even say throw on first down early but not to often. We want to keep this game tight and close and wait for Ben to try and go for a home run. When he does we’ll be ready

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I am honestly not that worried about Bell running the ball. We can shut him down. What worries me is the screens and short swing passes to him out of the backfield. We bottled up Derrick Henry all game in the run game but one 66 yard pass negated all of that effort.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-09-2018, 03:41 PM)Rico Wrote: I am honestly not that worried about Bell running the ball.  We can shut him down.  What worries me is the screens and short swing passes to him out of the backfield.  We bottled up Derrick Henry all game in the run game but one 66 yard pass negated all of that effort.

I agree. 

A few other teams gashed our defense with those types of plays to their backs as well. I'm sure it's on Wash's radar - but of course that doesn't mean they'll be able to bottle up Bell on that stuff all day on Sunday.

The Steelers are woeful tacklers.

I'd throw screens to Fournette, Grant, Lee. Try get some YAC. Also would help stem the pass rush and downhill runners a bit.

I'd run the offense through RPOs to try fix some LBs. Run some option plays to get Bortles on the move and make them think.
Hit them with playaction when you can.

Basically we want to try and stop the defense being aggressive and downhill. The run game has to be used creatively.

I think the Jaguars coaches have to be and will be prepared for varying possibilities/ changes in weather and how Blake Bortles is dealing with the elements. In essence, the need for multiple game plans.

Above all, I think the Jaguars have to give their Defense a chance to win this game. The # 1 priority on Offense for the Jaguars should be don't turn the ball over. Even more so than in a typical NFL game. The Jaguars Defense is Super Bowl caliber. If you are going to lose, at least go down because the best part of the team falls short. Not because of turnovers.

Game is going to be a lot of fun and will be very close. The Steelers are 10-1 since playing the Jags with the one loss being a 27-24 game against NE where AB got hurt and the controversial James incompletion call at the end. With AB I think the Steelers win that game easy. With that being said, 7 of the 10 wins were 1 possession wins (6 pts Chiefs, 5 pts Lions, 3 pts Colts, 3 pts GB, 3 Cincy, 1 pt Bal, and 4 pts Browns). Currently, none of those teams are in the playoffs and many of those games could of gone either way. The Steelers are vulnerable, and it starts with making sure Bell doesn't go off and contain AB. Their defense isn't stout and the Jags will put up points.

Difference maker will be Fourtnette. Hopefully we get to see a 75% Fournette out there who is truck sticking Mitchell again. If not, hopefully Yeldon/Grant step up... because I got zero faith in Ivory.

Oh, and clearly... can't turn the ball over.

(01-09-2018, 04:07 PM)JackCity Wrote: The Steelers are woeful tacklers.  

I'd throw screens to Fournette, Grant, Lee. Try get some YAC. Also would help stem the pass rush and downhill runners a bit.

I'd run the offense through RPOs to try fix some LBs. Run some option plays to get Bortles on the move and make them think.
Hit them with playaction when you can.  

Basically we want to try and stop the defense being aggressive and downhill. The run game has to be used creatively.

Truthfully, we'd have had some big plays in the screen game Sunday if Fournette catches that ball and Bortles doesn't throw errantly on 3 or 4 of them.

A lot have ragged on the playcalling last week, but I think it was solid.  It was obvious Bad Blake came to play in the passing game, and so they accounted for that.  I expect better things this week.

(01-09-2018, 12:54 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Stay conservative and run the ball. If they load up in the box run crossing routes and an occasional deep pass but be smart with the football.

It's the exact opposite of that though...the crossers worked for those few weeks because we weren't relying on Fournette much and we ran a ton more 3 WR sets that unclogged the middle of the field. You don't run crossers against 8 man fronts you need the middle of the field to be open which we don't do when Fournette is in the game because they think he needs 2 TE and/or a FB to be effective.

(01-09-2018, 06:31 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 12:54 PM)Etdavis2006 Wrote: Stay conservative and run the ball. If they load up in the box run crossing routes and an occasional deep pass but be smart with the football.

It's the exact opposite of that though...the crossers worked for those few weeks because we weren't relying on Fournette much and we ran a ton more 3 WR sets that unclogged the middle of the field. You don't run crossers against 8 man fronts you need the middle of the field to be open which we don't do when Fournette is in the game because they think he needs 2 TE and/or a FB to be effective.

Fournette has been most effective (YPC avg) out of a two WR, 2 back set according to a stat I saw on twitter today. 
Over 4 yards per carry from that. 

Which makes sense, as the receivers can spread things out a bit and they still have an extra blocker in the FB (and/or TE).

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 07:07 PM by Upper.)

(01-09-2018, 06:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fournette has been most effective (YPC avg) out of a two WR, 2 back set according to a stat I saw on twitter today. 

Which makes sense, as the receivers can spread things out a bit and they still have an extra blocker in the FB.

I saw that stat like a month ago too and it was fact checked as almost entirely skewed by Fournette's 75 yard run against the Rams. The other 99% of our 21 personnel runs have resulted in below average YPC. I'd say that's almost guaranteed to still the case.

Regardless, my point was in response to how to attack them if they stack the box, inaccurate as that term is. Unfortunately that answer can't be going back to the highly successful crosser base offense we had for a few weeks until we first get them out of 8 man fronts by using 11 personnel. Unfortunately we have shown very, very little proclivity toward doing that and I don't think a playoff game will be where they start, especially not since we already beat the Steelers with heavy sets already.

(01-09-2018, 06:57 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 06:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Fournette has been most effective (YPC avg) out of a two WR, 2 back set according to a stat I saw on twitter today. 

Which makes sense, as the receivers can spread things out a bit and they still have an extra blocker in the FB.

I saw that stat like a month ago too and it was fact checked as almost entirely skewed by Fournette's 75 yard run against the Rams. The other 99% of our 21 personnel runs have resulted in below average YPC. I'd say that's almost guaranteed to still the case.

Regardless, my point was in response to how to attack them if they stack the box, inaccurate as that term is. Unfortunately that answer can't be going back to the highly successful crosser base offense we had for a few weeks until we first get them out of 8 man fronts by using 11 personnel.
Why is it that when other team's running backs get long yardage and we refer to it as big plays, but when Jacksonville does it, it's called skewed stats?

Just wondering. Did Jimmy Smith and Fred Taylor have skewed stats too?
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

(01-09-2018, 07:08 PM)Dakota Wrote: Why is it that when other team's running backs get long yardage and we refer to it as big plays, but when Jacksonville does it, it's called skewed stats?

Because Fournette had literally one long yardage run that wasn't garbage time this year, and it just so happened to come from that personnel grouping. Obviously that would greatly skew the YPC per grouping.

(01-09-2018, 07:13 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-09-2018, 07:08 PM)Dakota Wrote: Why is it that when other team's running backs get long yardage and we refer to it as big plays, but when Jacksonville does it, it's called skewed stats?

Because Fournette had literally one long yardage run that wasn't garbage time this year, and it just so happened to come from that personnel grouping. Obviously that would greatly skew the YPC per grouping.

And are there injured yards vs healthy yards as well? I'm new to all of this.
What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Now you're just purposefully trying to be obtuse and derail what could be a productive discussion about how our offense has been most productive.

(01-09-2018, 07:26 PM)Upper Wrote: Now you're just purposefully trying to be obtuse and derail what could be a productive discussion about how our offense has been most productive.
Re-read my first post then, and answer truthfully. I would drop it then. It's a legitimate question.

Obtuse hehehehehe

Regardless how one chooses to weigh "skewed stats" or not -- the Jags indeed need to pursue "unstacking the box" for their backs.

I mentioned the stat because I saw it today. I don't care in it's 21 or trips left. As long as they explore an option or two to help spring the ball carrier out of the backfield.

I do think they will play marginally more aggressively with the offensive playcalling in pittsburgh. To what degree that involves Fournette running out of three wide or other such sets is a mystery, but I'm all for getting the kid another step or two of momentum.

Catch them off guard early with our Passing attack. Get a 2 score lead and let our Defense and rushing attack go to work.

The only way the Jaguars can win is to be significantly more aggressive on offense than against the Bills. They knew going into the Bills game that the only way they could lose was to commit too many turnovers. That's why they hardly threw deep, especially when it was obvious that Blake didn't have his "A" game- to put it mildly. The weather will naturally play a significant role in how the game is played. Personally, I want the conditions to be good enough to allow Bortles to open up in the passing game. I expect the Jags to come out throwing to get his confidence going. A confident Blake is capable of leading this team to a victory over the Steelers. The Steelers are the team with much greater pressure on them in this game and if they fall behind, Big Ben can't help help but remember back to the first game between the teams. The Steelers are also without their best defensive player, Ryan Shazier, which will enable Fournette, Grant, and Yeldon to be utilized in the screen game.

Bottom line, if the Jags come out too conservative they will lose handily. After last week's game, Blake has nothing else to lose so Hackett must open up the offense and hope the "good Blake" returns. They hardly threw to Cole last week and I have a hunch he will come up big in this game. This year's team has had several surprising outcomes (both good and bad) so it's impossible to predict how this game will play out. It will be fun seeing what their game plan is and how well they execute it.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 11:22 PM by old_man.)

The Steelers last 4 of 5 wins, were not that impressive.

This is a very winnable game. Bortles works on cleaning up his fundamentals and has a decent game 250 to 275 yards passing 2 Tds 1 Int and we have around 150 yards rushing with 2 rushing Tds.

As I said before Yeldon has an impact on 3rd down and breaks a couple runs, he will be out to prove he is a capable back.

We will have Blake on more roll outs. The Steelers will be forced spy Blake and we will have several medium routes that burn the Steelers D.

Also, we will throw more play action and QB option than in the past games.
Creator of the Website in 2001/2002