Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Perspective not Panic

(09-11-2018, 09:21 AM)Predator Wrote:
(09-10-2018, 11:58 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: I guess I'm the only one that thought the INT was a terrible throw? If you're going to miss that throw, miss it long. It was essentially the same problem on the near INT/TD to Paul. 

I also thought the Oline offered a lot of encouragement outside of the penalties. Blake had pretty good protection.

Definitely a bad under throw.

It was underthrown, no doubt. But it was catchable. Moncrief was paid pretty good money to contest and make those catches. It's on both of them
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 11:12 AM by JUNGLE CAT 2017.)

https://twitter.com/JUNGLECAT2017/status...5342230528

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 10:15 AM by Predator.)

(09-11-2018, 09:46 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 09:21 AM)Predator Wrote: Definitely a bad under throw.

It was underthrown, no doubt. But it was catchable. Moncrief was paid pretty good money to contest and make those catches. It's on both of them
Have you ever ran full speed and tried to stop and go backwards in an instance? Not happening. His momentum prevented him from making a play on the ball.

Some of you act like this was a jump ball. It wasn't.

The defender was in perfect position. Moncrief didn't have a chance. The best he could of done was knock it down which he tried but missed.

Two yards further and it was a TD.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 10:23 AM by Cleatwood.)

(09-11-2018, 10:07 AM)Predator Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 09:46 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote: It was underthrown, no doubt. But it was catchable. Moncrief was paid pretty good money to contest and make those catches. It's on both of them
Have you ever ran full speed and tried to stop and go backwards in an instance? Not happening. His momentum prevented him from making a play on the ball.

The defender was in perfect position. Moncrief didn't have a chance. The best he could of done was knock it down which he tried but missed.

Is Moncrief not a professional athlete? Of course I can’t do some of the things he can do. Like... start and stop at full speed. He should have been able to make a better play on the ball. Period.

(09-11-2018, 10:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 10:07 AM)Predator Wrote: Have you ever ran full speed and tried to stop and go backwards in an instance? Not happening. His momentum prevented him from making a play on the ball.

Is Moncrief not a professional athlete? Of course I can’t do some of the things he can do. Like... start and stop at full speed. He should have been able to make a better play on the ball. Period.
This ain't a video game.

Bortles threw the ball at the perfect spot where only Jenkins could make a play. Unfortunately he's not on our team.

What I find so silly is that Moncrief runs a good route and does exactly what we brought him here to do which is to beat a defense deep and we blame him because the ball was underthrown.

#Because Jaguars

No wonder most of the country think we are an idiot fan base.

(09-11-2018, 10:32 AM)Predator Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 10:22 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Is Moncrief not a professional athlete? Of course I can’t do some of the things he can do. Like... start and stop at full speed. He should have been able to make a better play on the ball. Period.
This ain't a video game.

Bortles threw the ball at the perfect spot where only Jenkins could make a play. Unfortunately he's not on our team.
No one is saying that the throw was perfect. However, plenty of receivers are underthrown and come back to make a play on the ball. It happens with every single QB and WR on every team. You're just harping on Blake because it's the cool thing to do.

(09-11-2018, 08:30 AM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 08:23 AM)Krayz_Jville_D Wrote: except mathematically, it is a positive... 15 more touchdowns for 5 more interceptions.... 5 interceptions BEST CASE FOR THE OTHER TEAM is 5 touchdowns for them.... so a 10 touchdown net positive for us

so no, that philosophy, if well thought out, is flat out WRONG

There are WAY too many variables in that math.

These 15 extra TDs could be garbage time when we had a huge lead or had no chance to come back. The 5 INTs could all be during potential game winning drives or a pick 6 leading to a loss.

You could also flip it and make the TDs game deciding and the INTs in garbage time. 

Its not a simple equation. That's why Marrone said "15 game winning TDs then yes" because in the grand scheme of things INTs are potentially more game changing.

LOL what?  dude... 3 td's for every INT is a good thing no matter how you slice it... typically you want average qb's to have a 2 to 1 td to INT ratio.. a 3 to 1 ratio is extremely good

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 02:22 PM by Predator.)

(09-11-2018, 01:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 10:32 AM)Predator Wrote: This ain't a video game.

No one is saying that the throw was perfect. However, plenty of receivers are underthrown and come back to make a play on the ball. It happens with every single QB and WR on every team. You're just harping on Blake because it's the cool thing to do.

Not to a guy who just broke past his defender and was open for a TD over the top. The receiver isn't looking for a jump ball in that situation.

I'm not harping on Blake. Blake would tell you it was a bad throw and he missed a TD.

(09-11-2018, 02:22 PM)Predator Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 01:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: No one is saying that the throw was perfect. However, plenty of receivers are underthrown and come back to make a play on the ball. It happens with every single QB and WR on every team. You're just harping on Blake because it's the cool thing to do.

Not to a guy who just broke past his defender and was open for a TD over the top. The receiver isn't looking for a jump ball in that situation.

I'm not harping on Blake. Blake would tell you it was a bad throw and he missed a TD.
Again. Not disagreeing. However WRs have to adjust all the time to QB throws. He still could have made a better play on the ball and the throw could have also been better. It can be both.

(09-11-2018, 02:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 02:22 PM)Predator Wrote: Not to a guy who just broke past his defender and was open for a TD over the top. The receiver isn't looking for a jump ball in that situation.

Again. Not disagreeing. However WRs have to adjust all the time to QB throws. He still could have made a better play on the ball and the throw could have also been better. It can be both.

I agree.. look at Darnold's first TD pass. the WR had to adjust and snatch the ball out of the CB's hands but he made a play on the ball and came down with the TD.

Even if Moncrief turned around and committed a PI it would have been a better play then what happened.

But this this doesn't change the fact that the ball was certainly underthrown.

(09-11-2018, 02:22 PM)Predator Wrote: Not to a guy who just broke past his defender and was open for a TD over the top. The receiver isn't looking for a jump ball in that situation.

Ding ding ding
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

When you just turned on the jets and broke wide open past your defender you aren't expecting to have to stop and turn around. You are expecting at worse for the ball to be overthrown.

The biggest faux pas for a receiver is to pull up on a route. Moncrief ran a great route and beat his guy and Bortles left the ball two yards short where only Jenkins could make a play.

It was a bad throw on an excellently run route. It happens. Bortles himself would tell you that was 100% on him and would hope he gets another chance to get it right.

If we're harping on INTs can we point out that very few QBs threw 0 INTs yesterday.
And a lot of QBs threw multiple INTs.

I'm not really sure who here thought Borts would throw for 0 INTs this season... but ya'll was crazy.
Dude can throw 1 a game and if we win, I don't care. Period.

I've never been a fan of another team... so I don't know if their boards are like this... but I swear it is so #jaguars to be so angry and complaint-filled after a 'w'.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 03:36 PM by Predator.)

Another problem with the throw was that Bortles put no air under it. Passing game 101 says when you are throwing over the top you put air under the ball to allow the receiver to run under it and be able to make adjustments if needed.

Bortles throw had a low trajectory and was under thrown which didn't give Moncrief a chance to make a play. Low trajectory and behind = Int.

It was a bad throw that Bortles wishes he could have back. It happens. Rogers, Brady, Brees have all made this mistake before and I promise not a single one blamed their open receiver for it.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 03:44 PM by Cleatwood.)

(09-11-2018, 02:49 PM)Predator Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 02:24 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Again. Not disagreeing. However WRs have to adjust all the time to QB throws. He still could have made a better play on the ball and the throw could have also been better. It can be both.

When you just turned on the jets and broke wide open past your defender you aren't expecting to have to stop and turn around. You are expecting at worse for the ball to be overthrown.

The biggest faux pas for a receiver is to pull up on a route. Moncrief ran a great route and beat his guy and Bortles left the ball two yards short where only Jenkins could make a play.

It was a bad throw on an excellently run route. It happens. Bortles himself would tell you that was 100% on him and would hope he gets another chance to get it right.
Are you just not comprehending the point?

No one is disagreeing that the ball was underthrown. The point is that Moncrief could have STILL MADE A BETTER PLAY ON THE BALL. He was legit right next to Jenkins but didn't even throw his hands up. Also, go re watch it again. He was not wide open. Jenkins was right with him pretty much the whole way. It may have also been a back shoulder fade route. No one knows.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/highlights

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2018, 04:24 PM by Predator.)

(09-11-2018, 03:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(09-11-2018, 02:49 PM)Predator Wrote: When you just turned on the jets and broke wide open past your defender you aren't expecting to have to stop and turn around. You are expecting at worse for the ball to be overthrown.

Are you just not comprehending the point?

No one is disagreeing that the ball was underthrown. The point is that Moncrief could have STILL MADE A BETTER PLAY ON THE BALL. He was legit right next to Jenkins but didn't even throw his hands up. Also, go re watch it again. He was not wide open. Jenkins was right with him pretty much the whole way. It may have also been a back shoulder fade route. No one knows.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/highlights
Jenkins is in between him and the ball. What is he supposed to do some X-Men crap and change his molecular structure to catch the ball through him?

The ball was thrown where only Jenkins had a shot to make a play.

And you are right. It is possible Bortles was expecting some sort of come back route. But why would he expect that from Moncrief? We brought him here to beat people deep and he definitely burnt Jenkins deep on that route.

Who knows really.

The 48 hour rule is now in effect. We have to move on with our discussions and talk about the stupid pats.

Home opener!!!

I'm sorry, after watching the play again, there is absolutely no reason he couldn't have made a better play on that ball. None. Literally his job is to try to catch the football, which he made next to no attempt.

Robby Anderson made the catch on a very similar play. Is he THAT much better than Moncrief?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(09-11-2018, 07:11 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I'm sorry, after watching the play again, there is absolutely no reason he couldn't have made a better play on that ball. None. Literally his job is to try to catch the football, which he made next to no attempt.

Robby Anderson made the catch on a very similar play. Is he THAT much better than Moncrief?

1st, yes Anderson is that much better.

2nd, it's not that similar of a play. Bortles' pass was about 22 yards and Darnold's was about 42. Anderson had roughly double the time to see the ball and make an adjustment.