Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jay Gruden Hired - Merged Threads

(01-22-2020, 10:14 AM)Brett Wrote: I have a friend who is a Redskins fan. I was texting back and forth with him and this was his thoughts on Gruden:

"I think he's a good OC. He's developed a lot of really good OCs that are now head coaches. He doesn't demand discipline from his players which was a major problem here....players were on their phones during practice, running up and giving him nipple twisters during interviews, didn't demand respect, etc. But if you have a HC that demands discipline I think he can be a really good OC."

Can you ask your friend how he will project under a Head Coach that lacks discipline and has a team that will be in the top 5 most penalized teams in the NFL? Also, will he do well under a Head Coach who's best players hate playing for said team?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Anyone who is going to increase play action is good in my books.

Just became official.

Great hire.

Wait, but nobody worthwhile will sign here.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I can live with this. Probably the best we could have got with the HC situation. Has had some good success with not great teams.

Just give him the pieces to run an O. A TE, a line that blocks.

Can somebody explain the hype on Gruden?

What am I missing here? I was not excited about this at all at first but seeing all you guys so happy is making me think I obviously don't know the full story for Gruden?

He's coming from a horrible team he was HC on. He had Cincy playing decent offense before that and that's all I really know. I hate how we always seem to hire coaches from losing or mediocre situation. Why can't we hire guys coming from winning organizations?

(01-22-2020, 12:13 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Can somebody explain the hype on Gruden?

What am I missing here? I was not excited about this at all at first but seeing all you guys so happy is making me think I obviously don't know the full story for Gruden?

He's coming from a horrible team he was HC on. He had Cincy playing decent offense before that and that's all I really know. I hate how we always seem to hire coaches from losing or mediocre situation. Why can't we hire guys coming from winning organizations?
He won 7 or more games in 4 straight seasons with the Redskins which just may be the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.

Very good and exciting hire for this team and Minshew's develop. Now go out and get Austin Hooper at TE, draft Harrison Bryant at TE and get a healthy competition going during training camp with those two guys and O'Shaughnessy & Oliver back healthy.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Garbage hire for a garbage organization. 8-8 in perpetuity ladies and gentlemen! Get hype!
[Image: giphy.gif]
A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

(01-22-2020, 12:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-22-2020, 12:13 PM)sfljaguarsfan Wrote: Can somebody explain the hype on Gruden?

He won 7 or more games in 4 straight seasons with the Redskins which just may be the most dysfunctional franchise in the NFL.

When I started watching football, the Bengals were the joke team of the NFL. Just awful. 

Gruden had a very good O there. Regular playoff team in a very tough division. Dalton was throwing for 4000yds+ a season. Their biggest problem was imploding in the playoffs. 

And agree with Washington. To think at one time they had Shanahan, McVay and La Fleur on the staff!

Good hire, through his career he's made mediocre QBs look pretty good.

He's widely respected around the league as a play designer and QB coach. 

Yes he has flaws but he'd be an OC upgrade for at least 15 teams if not more. 

That's HUGE for a team in our situation given what most people thought we'd be forced to work with

(01-22-2020, 12:07 PM)Rico Wrote: Wait, but nobody worthwhile will sign here.

I think we might have underrated the "hopefully Marrone gets fired and I can parlay the interim HC gig into a full time job like Marrone himself did" appeal.

Nice!

Does my post about what my Redskins friend said worry anyone about how he handles players in regards to discipline? Or not really?

(01-22-2020, 12:15 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

When you put it like that, it looks like a great hire lol. Alright, well thanks for all the replies guys I'm feeling pretty good about it now. Heck yeah!

(01-22-2020, 10:14 AM)Brett Wrote: I have a friend who is a Redskins fan. I was texting back and forth with him and this was his thoughts on Gruden:

"I think he's a good OC. He's developed a lot of really good OCs that are now head coaches. He doesn't demand discipline from his players which was a major problem here....players were on their phones during practice, running up and giving him nipple twisters during interviews, didn't demand respect, etc. But if you have a HC that demands discipline I think he can be a really good OC."

He won't be the HC here. So that stuff is pretty meaningless unless he gets promoted to that spot. Marrone is lax, but not that lax and Marrone's level of discipline will still  set the the tone at practice, in the locker room, etc.

He was also a HC and QB in the arena league at the same time, he can be the backup if we can move Foles!
[Image: Jason-The-Good-Place-Jaguars.png?w=472]

Jaguars hire ex-Redskins coach Jay Gruden as OC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001...uden-as-oc

Jay Gruden is heading from D.C. to Duval. The Jacksonville Jaguars hired the former Washington Redskins head coach as their third offensive coordinator is as many seasons.