Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Coaching Candidates

Quote:The Trent Richardson's, Courtney Upshaw's and Greg McIlroy's of the League / football world disagree with you. Does he have a talent advantage? Yes, in a lot of cases I think he does because you cannot deny the presence of guys like Julio Jones and Amari Cooper, but I would argue that the talent gap is not "huge". His stance of demanding that his team be prepared is what makes it seem like he has more talent than anyone else. At least, in my opinion.

That being said, I don't think he's a good fit for coaching grown men. I think he'll run the risk of alienating himself from the players with his style.

While they didn't pan out in the NFL, they were all very good college players. Saban's teams are full of 4 and 5 star talents at all positions. Not many college programs are built like that. It's the reason why they are ranked #1 or #2 almost every year going into the season. He takes that talent and gets the most out of it through, like you said, by being prepared and his perfectionist nature. Which is why he is the GOAT of college football.

We agree that his style does not fit the NFL, as we've already saw.

I'm all in on Sean Payton (if he's available). 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Marvin Lewis if he's available?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Marvin Lewis if he's available?

No no no no no no no no no no no no

Quote:Marvin Lewis if he's available?

Dude can't win a playoff game if his life depended on it, however I feel like he would make the Jags relevant again.

I miss feeling relevant Sad.

Kyle Shanahan?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

You guys ready to talk potential coaches again?

Quote: HolsterHusto,  great post!   You definitely have a good feel for what's going on.

I think JBC is an excellent Offensive Coordinator,  who also is a highly skilled QB Coach.  JBC is the greatest difference for Matthew Stafford improvement in his last 11 games and the Lions Offensive Line having many less mental breakdowns compared to when Joe Lombardi was OC.  JBC provides a very good combination of attention to detail,  creativity,   and not making the blocking assignments overall complex.  Stafford thinks very highly of JBC.

It's interesting what you mentioned as a scenario for the Jaguars,  as it's basically what I hinted at with the Lions in another thread when mentioning that I believe Matt Patricia will likely be an NFL HC in 2017.   The combination of Patricia and Cooter is definitely something I would be totally comfortable with if Jim Caldwell is let go.   If Caldwell is let go and the Lions let Cooter move on,  IMO he would be an excellent choice for the Jaguars as OC.   JBC will probably be an NFL HC sometime in the next few seasons. 
Id be happy with Jim Bob, as an OC...I wouldn't be opposed to a HC, but I would be concerned about his choices for his Coordinators and assistant coaches who are actually hands on training the players... As The HC he wouldn't be hands on with QB development or OL coaching, that would fall on his assistants...

Quote:I keep wondering if Dom Capers might be up for a comeback attempt as a HC.
That's a name I haven't heard tossed around in forever...Again, I think his success would depend on who his coaching staff would be

Quote:I'd offer Tom Coughlin whatever he needs to be the coach.

If that don't work, I would reach out to Manning.
I'd love to see Coughlin back...He knows this would more than likely be his last HC job due to age and he would give everything he has and everything he knows to get a ring 

Hire one of the 3.

1. Josh McDaniels

2. Todd Haley

3. Norv Turner.

Plain and simple.

It's got to be McDaniels,right?

Quote:Hire one of the 3.

1. Josh McDaniels

2. Todd Haley

3. Norv Turner.

Plain and simple.

No, no, and no.  All 3 have been awful.  

I know people have mentioned some sort of McDaniels/Garoppolo tandem but I seriously doubt NE will let Jimmy go with Brady being as old as he is. Now I could see McDaniels trying to bring Brissett with him to have someone who knows his system.

Quote:Manning took a verbal crap on the Jaguars during the comedy central roast. He wouldn't even be interested.

He picked an easy target for a cheap laugh. Nothing more.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of Manning being a HC here.

Quote:It's got to be McDaniels,right?
. Please no.

Quote:Id be happy with Jim Bob, as an OC...I wouldn't be opposed to a HC, but I would be concerned about his choices for his Coordinators and assistant coaches who are actually hands on training the players... As The HC he wouldn't be hands on with QB development or OL coaching, that would fall on his assistants...

I'm not sure if Jim Bob Cooter is ready to be an NFL HC,  though I think observing how an experienced HC like Jim Caldwell has put together a coaching staff and overall daily coaching decision making would aid JBC if given an NFL HC opportunity. 

One name to keep an eye on for an Offensive Coordinator position in the next couple of years is Lions QB Coach Brian Callahan.   Like JRC,  he learned plenty from Peyton Manning in Denver.  Callahan is the son of Redskins O-Line Coach Bill Callahan,  the former HC of the Raiders.   They were on opposite sides yesterday.  Brian Callahan seems to following a similar path as JBC.   If JBC becomes an NFL HC in 2017 or 2018.  it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Brian Callahan ends up as Lions OC. 

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 07:40 PM by GlockBortles.)

Todd Haley is probably my top option but its all dependant on dave being realistic about blake and not trying to lock anyone into blake until he can really prove hes the man

Quote:Todd Haley is probably my top option but its all depenndant on dave being realistic about blake and not trying to lock anyone into blake until he can really prove hes the man

Agree.

Coughlin

Haley

Jim Mora

somebody off the Arians, Hue Jackson tree

McDaniels

Marrone
Mike Smith
Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Okay, so after last week we can assume 3 things.

1. Gus Bradley is going to be fired at the end of the season unless the team does a 180 but that seems unlikely

2. Gus will not be fired before the end of the season. 

3. David Caldwell will still be the GM next season

So who is the next coach, remember Caldwell probably stays as the GM so people like Jon Gruden, Bill Cohwer and Nick Saban will only take a job will they make the personel moves.  Here are a few candidates

1. Doug Marone - if Gus got the ax after London, Doug would probably have gotten the job.  He is an odd duck in that he has never been fired as a head coach but yet is an assistant with the Jags.  He left Syracuse to take the Bills job.  He resigned from the Bills when they got a new owner.  Ultimately, the Jags will probably want a clean slate and Marone is out of luck

2. Jim Swartz - D-Coordinator for the Eagles and before that the Defensive coordinator for Marone's Bills.  He was a head coach for the Lions and got fire but the NFL is littered with coaches who won a Superbowl after getting fired from another team Pete Carroll, Bill Billicheck, Gary Kubiak and yes Tom Coughlin\

3. Josh McDaniels - O-Coodinator for the Patriots.  Formerly the head coach for the Broncos.  Yes he got fired but see above

4. Hugh Freeze - Head Coach Ole Miss - he has won in high school, at Arkansas St, and now Ole Miss.  Also he would take a head coaching job in the NFL without needing control personal.  The one problem is that he has never coached in the pros unlike Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh when they made the move.  The last coach to go to the NFL from college without ever coaching in the NFL is Chip Kelly and that isn't working out so well

So wo do you guys want?

Hugh Freeze? We serious?

Quote:Hugh Freeze? We serious?

I literally squinted my eyes re-reading that... hell no.