Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Anyone else fear that if Olson has another great offensive year, he is gone?

OCs would kill to have this offensive talent. If Olson leaves, we would be completely fine. Hopefully he does leave, because that means we are making the playoffs.
No commercial messages in sigs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think Hackett is the heir as well.  With that said Oly doesn't seem like a HC to me, I'd be more worried about losing Marrone or Wash.

Why are you worried about losing Wash? He has never been more than a position coach in the NFL until a few months ago.

Quote:Like some mentioned in this thread,  I'm confident that Dave Caldwell and Gus Bradley hope to have this "problem"  in January or February.  

In any event,  much more often than not,  a HC Candidate fails to land an NFL HC job the first year he interviews for the position.  Even if the Jaguars make the playoffs this season, there's a good chance that Greg Olson will be back with the team at least another season.  

Another strong possibility is Greg Olson makes a lateral move after another team hires someone else to be its new HC. So we can lose Greg Olson to another team . . . but he would still be an assistant coach.

I am not worried about this scenario playing out either. You are right about coaches not getting hired after their first year of interviews.

Quote:Remember when everyone was upset with the Olson hire?

Now we're worried about losing him. He's done a great job.

Yet no one has mentioned "good hire" for Gus. I have my concerns about Bradley as a HC the same as most of us, but I'll give credit where it's due.

No I don't remember that. I was never upset with the hire.

Nobody is worried about losing him after this season. Fans are just aware of the possibility right now.

This is exactly what frustrates me about Gus Bradley haters: They don't give him credit for things he has done right. Hiring Greg Olson obviously was one of them.

Quote:Why not keep Oly as HC if Gus is canned so our Offensive staff stays and possibly D too. I don't see Wash has a HC yet.

1. We are talking about "what if Jacksonville makes the playoffs" - a scenario that would guarantee Gus Bradley does not get fired.

2. Greg Olson is not the assistant head coach in Jacksonville or a former head coach. Traditionally AHCs succeed fired coaches.

Quote:Olson has been a career OC. I don't think he's really even been thought about as a HC candidate, and I don't think that will change now even if this offense blows up.

Nobody thought about Bruce Arians being a head coach someday for most of his career. He was an assistant for over 35 years before finally getting the top job.

Quote: 

Another strong possibility is Greg Olson makes a lateral move after another team hires someone else to be its new HC. So we can lose Greg Olson to another team . . . but he would still be an assistant coach.

It would take an unusual circumstance for the Jaguars to let Greg Olson move on under this scenario if Gus Bradley remains the HC and Olson remains an asset to the team as Offensive Coordinator.   In a normal situation,  it wouldn't make sense for the Jaguars to let Olson make a lateral move.  

That would be a good thing, my guy Olson will have done his job with the Jags 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

Quote: It would take an unusual circumstance for the Jaguars to let Greg Olson move on under this scenario if Gus Bradley remains the HC and Olson remains an asset to the team as Offensive Coordinator. In a normal situation, it wouldn't make sense for the Jaguars to let Olson make a lateral move.

We'd be fools to let him do that. And at the same time, why would he want to? There isn't a much better offensive situation he could go to
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:It would take an unusual circumstance for the Jaguars to let Greg Olson move on under this scenario if Gus Bradley remains the HC and Olson remains an asset to the team as Offensive Coordinator. In a normal situation, it wouldn't make sense for the Jaguars to let Olson make a lateral move.  

I forgot Mike Shula's departure to Carolina was an unusual circumstance.

Quote:That would be a good thing, my guy Olson will have done his job with the Jags 

Rumors about Greg Olson becoming a head coach candidate would be a good thing. Letting him interview for a HC job, not so much, because that is a risk he will walk away.

Quote:We'd be fools to let him do that. And at the same time, why would he want to? There isn't a much better offensive situation he could go to

I wouldn't blame the Jaguars in the least if they blocked all lateral moves for Greg Olson.

In answer to your question,  chances are high that Olson wouldn't want to leave Jax as long as Gus Bradley remains the HC.   But in some cases,  a coach might have a family situation that leads him to wanting to coach closer to what he considers home.  

There also have been other situations in which a coach wants to reunite with a HC who he played and / or worked together in the past.   One example of this is when Doug Marrone was hired as Bills HC,  he asked the Lions permission to hire Danny Crossman as Special Teams Coordinator.    At the time,  Crossman had that role under Jim Schwartz in Detroit.    Because of the long time football relationship that Marrone and Crossman had,   the Lions let Crossman out of his contract in order to join Marrone in Buffalo.

Quote:Rumors about Greg Olson becoming a head coach candidate would be a good thing. Letting him interview for a HC job, not so much, because that is a risk he will walk away.

We can't stop him from interviewing for a HC job. We CAN stop a lateral move.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

It happens all the time. John Fox hired JDR twice and Adam Gase twice. JDR hired Mike Tice (a former Vikings teammate). The list goes on. If Greg Olson gets a HC job next year or in 2018 (which is more likely) he certainly will want to hire coaches he has known for years from previous jobs.

Quote:We can't stop him from interviewing for a HC job. We CAN stop a lateral move.

I would love to see a report about Gus Bradley blocking a lateral job interview.

Quote:I just had this thought that striked me...if we have another explosive year on offense like we broke out last year....I fear Coach Oly could get calls for a head coaching job somewhere.

We see it happen every year in the NFL just unfortunate. Starting to fear that after everything he has done for our offense since he got here.
Quote:I just had this thought that striked me...if we have another explosive year on offense like we broke out last year....I fear Coach Oly could get calls for a head coaching job somewhere.

We see it happen every year in the NFL just unfortunate. Starting to fear that after everything he has done for our offense since he got here.

It's more than likely going to happen. I think a team like Buffalo or San Diego could be in the market next year in 2017 for a new headcoach. Personally, if this team falls to 7 - 9 and the defense didn't show that much improvement. I'd like to see Caldwell can Bradley and hire Olson for the job instead. And then go and find a DC that actually knows what he's doing to fix our issues.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I agree with High Score.

While I wouldn't like to see Bortles have to learn another new system for a few seasons, I think if Wash produces he's much more likely to leave.

There is another possibility: If Gus Bradley gets fired, Greg Olson could be promoted to head coach in Jacksonville. The Giants, Buccaneers, and Titans promoted assistant coaches to prevent them from leaving. I don't want  that to happen, of course, because it means we had another bad year.

Quote:There is another possibility: If Gus Bradley gets fired, Greg Olson could be promoted to head coach in Jacksonville. The Giants, Buccaneers, and Titans promoted assistant coaches to prevent them from leaving. I don't want that to happen, of course, because it means we had another bad year.

That's been said like 6 times in this thread already and you, yourself, have already that wouldn't make sense because he's not the assistant head coach.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:That's been said like 6 times in this thread already and you, yourself, have already that wouldn't make sense because he's not the assistant head coach.

I did not say it makes sense.

Quote:Why are you worried about losing Wash? He has never been more than a position coach in the NFL until a few months ago.

Gut feeling this defense is going to get really good really fast under his control.  Guy has been a good positional coach for a while now and probably got the defensive coordinator job a year late.  Many teams around the league are still copying the Seattle defense and desire to have a charismatic, energetic coach players like.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:Gut feeling this defense is going to get really good really fast under his control.  Guy has been a good positional coach for a while now and probably got the defensive coordinator job a year late.  Many teams around the league are still copying the Seattle defense and desire to have a charismatic, energetic coach players like.

He got the DC job a year late because Bob Babich sucked. I am taking a wait and see approach with him as a DC. Gus Bradley tried to hire someone else before promoting Wash.

Quote:He got the DC job a year late because Bob Babich sucked. I am taking a wait and see approach with him as a DC. Gus Bradley tried to hire someone else before promoting Wash.

No he didn't.

Quote:He got the DC job a year late because Bob Babich sucked. I am taking a wait and see approach with him as a DC. Gus Bradley tried to hire someone else before promoting Wash.

ya Gus felt he owed Babich the job instead of giving it to the guy who probably should have had it.  No, he interviewed others he did not tried to hire anyone

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine