Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Toddler dragged by alligator into lake at Grand Floridian

Quote:My heart is absolutely broken over this story just thinking about it. I have a 2 year old and it makes me sick thinking if that happened to my son.

My question is, Why did the father give up? I know damn sure if that was me i would have held on to that gator or die trying.

Depending on the size of the gator, there is probably no way that anyone could have held on.  A gator, even a young and/or smaller one is a pretty powerful and quick animal, especially in the water.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Depending on the size of the gator, there is probably no way that anyone could have held on. A gator, even a young and/or smaller one is a pretty powerful and quick animal, especially in the water.
Absolutely correct.
TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Depending on the size of the gator, there is probably no way that anyone could have held on.  A gator, even a young and/or smaller one is a pretty powerful and quick animal, especially in the water.
The reports I've seen from witnesses say 7 feet.

Quote:The reports I've seen from witnesses say 7 feet.

One that big, nobody would be able to hang onto or keep up with in the water.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

It was just reported that the father tried to pry the gators mouth open but failed. He should have went for its eyes.

Quote:It was just reported that the father tried to pry the gators mouth open but failed. He should have went for its eyes.
Agree, but would hate to be in that situation heat of the moment.

Sad all around. The gator was just being a gator and the family was just out trying to enjoy the fireworks.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:It was just reported that the father tried to pry the gators mouth open but failed. He should have went for its eyes.
Easy to say if you're not fighting for your child's life in the dark in the water against an alligator that has all of the advantages in the water including size, strength, and speed.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Easy to say if you're not fighting for your child's life in the dark in the water against an alligator that has all of the advantages in the water including size, strength, and speed.

Some people think they have all the answers.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Some people think they have all the answers.

MMQBing the death of a two year old.  :yucky:

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

In times of tragedy like this, there's always the "woulda shoulda" bunch.  I would challenge anyone to wrestle and force open the mouth of a 4 foot gator in the water.  In probably 99.9% of the case the gator is going to win.  If it's a bigger one as reported, there's no way, but I digress.

I heard something on the radio regarding Disney resort employees knowing of customers feeding them.  I didn't catch the whole story and couldn't really find anything on the internet other than this story from the Orlando newspaper.  If it's true and Disney management is aware of the practice and doesn't discourage the practice, then there could be a major lawsuit coming.

From the article.

Quote: 

San Diego attorney David Hiden told the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday that last year he whisked his son to safety at Disney's Coronado Springs after a gator approached the boy playing in calf-deep water. Then Hiden saw a second gator nearby. Hiden said a hotel manager called one of them a "resident pet" and seemed unconcerned

One employee at the Disney property who did not want to be identified said in an email "there is such a problem on property with guests feeding the alligators thinking it's cool."
Visitors at Buena Vista Palace regularly feed two of them
from the balconies, he said.

If it's true that Disney management or Disney Resort management was aware of this, then I see a major lawsuit.  As I stated in an earlier post, feeding them in any way is a huge "no-no" because they soon lose their natural instinct to be afraid of humans.  Allowing that practice to happen presents a clear danger to their customers, especially if it's common to be out there after dark near the water (as was this case) to watch the fireworks display.

The bottom line is, a little boy lost his life and his family is permanently scarred after what should have been a "relaxing, fun vacation".

The only thing more predatory than the alligator now will be the lawyer$$. 

Quote:The only thing more predatory than the alligator now will be the lawyer$$. 

No doubt there are numerous firms fighting for the chance to represent the family.  A Plaintiff's attorney dream case with a huge pocket Defendant.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:The only thing more predatory than the alligator now will be the lawyer$$. 

They will probably settle out of court & Disney will install "keep out of water" signs. 

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

No way will Disney want the PR nightmare of this going to court... right or wrong.  I would say they will offer a substantial sum to the family and make this go away quietly.

I'm not sure this incident is something you would ever truely get over.Hopefully the money brings them a small bit of comfort.

Quote:They will probably settle out of court & Disney will install "keep out of water" signs.
Those signs were already there.

As of right now the beaches are still closed and wire fences have been installed at every site.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Those signs were already there.

As of right now the beaches are still closed and wire fences have been installed at every site.

Are they fencing off the water access in Fort Wilderness also?

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Quote:Are they fencing off the water access in Fort Wilderness also?

I can't see it from where I've been, but the Poly and GF beaches as well as Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans are. I'm headed to Epcot later this week, should be able to see how Beach and Yacht Clubs are handling it.

They should just kill all of the gators.  It's not like they were there first or anything.

[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]