Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Captain America Civil War

Just saw it last night, best part was the new Spiderman. Ironman was getting on my nerves by the end of the movie. Really liked the guy who played Black Panther, I don't know anything about his comic book story but it was pretty interesting in the movie. Hawkeye continues to be one of my favorites and Antman was great. I still don't really care about Vision or the Scarlet Witch.

I'm curious how Dr Strange is going to tie into all of this and I'll probably pre-screen that one before I take the kidos. But for me this was one of my favorite MCU movies, 2nd right now only to Winter Solider. 

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'm curious how Dr Strange is going to tie into all of this and I'll probably pre-screen that one before I take the kidos. But for me this was one of my favorite MCU movies, 2nd right now only to Winter Solider. 

I'm not entirely sure Dr. Strange will tie in at all. But if he does, it's going to have to be as an ally of the Avengers in their next movie. With Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet on deck, the Avengers are going to need some heavy lifters beyond their current crop...and Dr. Strange is the only one they can really use atm who fits the bill, since the FF and the SIlver Surfer are owned by a different studio.

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Loved the movie. Happy to finally see Black Panther on the big screen. Chadwick Boseman did great IMO.

One of my favorite superhero movies.

Quote:Loved the movie. Happy to finally see Black Panther on the big screen. Chadwick Boseman did great IMO.

One of my favorite superhero movies.
I thought Chadwick did an excellent job as well. I look forward to seeing what more he can bring to the character.

Quote:I'm not entirely sure Dr. Strange will tie in at all. But if he does, it's going to have to be as an ally of the Avengers in their next movie. With Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet on deck, the Avengers are going to need some heavy lifters beyond their current crop...and Dr. Strange is the only one they can really use atm who fits the bill, since the FF and the SIlver Surfer are owned by a different studio.
Strange is definitely involved in the Infinity war movies. 

Finally saw the movie yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot. I got it in my top 3 with Winter Soldier and Guardians. Tony felt out of character nearly the entire movie. I think it's a huge stretch for an ego like his to break so easily as he did and turn on Cap. 

Spiderman and Black Panther were excellent. Antman was a very well done addition. Humor was on point and I actually care about a villain for once. I dug the motivation of Zemo and the whole point of his plan. Not world domination just pure revenge. 

I like the idea they are pushing that Scarlet Witch terrifies people as her powers are quite impressive. I like what they are doing with Vision and his interactions with the humans but he's so awkward on the battlefield. He should be absurdly OP, given his ability to phase through anything and shoot friggin lazer beams, but he barely does anything it seems. 

I like the way it ended. Make me excited to see if they resolve the issue prior to Infinity war part 1

Quote:Strange is definitely involved in the Infinity war movies. 

Finally saw the movie yesterday. Enjoyed it a lot. I got it in my top 3 with Winter Soldier and Guardians. Tony felt out of character nearly the entire movie. I think it's a huge stretch for an ego like his to break so easily as he did and turn on Cap. 

Spiderman and Black Panther were excellent. Antman was a very well done addition. Humor was on point and I actually care about a villain for once. I dug the motivation of Zemo and the whole point of his plan. Not world domination just pure revenge. 

I like the idea they are pushing that Scarlet Witch terrifies people as her powers are quite impressive. I like what they are doing with Vision and his interactions with the humans but he's so awkward on the battlefield. He should be absurdly OP, given his ability to phase through anything and shoot friggin lazer beams, but he barely does anything it seems. 

I like the way it ended. Make me excited to see if they resolve the issue prior to Infinity war part 1

If Wanda were still a mutant, I think it would have carried more weight but since Marvel seems to be intent on retconning mutants out of their continuity and replacing them with infinitely less interesting Inhumans, it doesn't quite come across as it should. At this point, The Vision is arguably more powerful than she let alone Thor or the Hulk. This isn't god-like, reality altering, House of M Scarlet Witch we're seeing...although she is powerful she's clearly not at her apex. This is basically the hex/probability version of the Scarlet Witch...hardly an imposing figure relative to her peers even if her powers have broad applications.

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:If Wanda were still a mutant, I think it would have carried more weight but since Marvel seems to be intent on retconning mutants out of their continuity and replacing them with infinitely less interesting Inhumans, it doesn't quite come across as it should. At this point, The Vision is arguably more powerful than she let alone Thor or the Hulk. This isn't god-like, reality altering, House of M Scarlet Witch we're seeing...although she is powerful she's clearly not at her apex. This is basically the hex/probability version of the Scarlet Witch...hardly an imposing figure relative to her peers even if her powers have broad applications.
It's not really Marvel's choice really. They can't use the term mutant and they can't use most mutant characters. Like her father so it's not a big deal that they changed her origin to me. Besides, enhanced human (I think is what they are calling them) or mutant. It's the same thing really. 

The relationship carries plenty of weight to me because both her and the vision were created by the infinity stone. They have done nearly no amount of explaining her powers. They hint that it's telekinesis but they have not called it that yet. I don't think we have seen the end to the building of her powers. To much was put into the people are scared of you/this is to protect other people thing to be just a couple of throw away lines. Heck her name is specifically used in the news broadcast. 

Quote:It's not really Marvel's choice really. They can't use the term mutant and they can't use most mutant characters. Like her father so it's not a big deal that they changed her origin to me. Besides, enhanced human (I think is what they are calling them) or mutant. It's the same thing really. 

The relationship carries plenty of weight to me because both her and the vision were created by the infinity stone. They have done nearly no amount of explaining her powers. They hint that it's telekinesis but they have not called it that yet. I don't think we have seen the end to the building of her powers. To much was put into the people are scared of you/this is to protect other people thing to be just a couple of throw away lines. Heck her name is specifically used in the news broadcast. 

I feel you, but Marvel set a very enduring precedent that, while I never completely understood nor agreed with it...I eventually came to accept:

I first started reading comics, specifically the X-Men right before Fall of the Mutants. The narrative within the MU has always been that the general populace is afraid of/hates mutants specifically but the myriad of "accidental" heroes are often given a free pass despite these altered humans are often more powerful and as a result destructive. The base Silver Age Fantastic Four is substantially more powerful than your Silver Age/Giant-Sized X-Men, for example. The FF is celebrated as heroes, meanwhile the X-Men go through long stretches where they are reviled and/or have to operate "underground." The Hulk alone is capable of wrecking continents by himself yet unless he's actively out to break stuff (see World War Hulk), he doesn't garner a fraction of the hate your typical, relatively weak mutant would (let's use Dazzler just because). This inherent hypocrisy is part of what gave Civil War (for its many flaws) some actual merit...

At least to me. Smile

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I believe so. I don't recall an egregious amount of foul language or sexual innuendo. It ain't Deadpool...so if you took/would take your son to see an Avengers movie, you can take him to see this imo.
Cool thanks, yeah I havent seen deadpool but I realized early on that is not an child kind of movie.

Have seen it twice now, and I actually love it.  I feel like Stark's motivation is entirely understandable, actually--having created Ultron and having a huge blow dealt to his pride because of it, it makes sense that he'd be ready for some regulation.  

Spider-Man was great, Ant-Man likewise so.  I love how they've built the Avengers roster overall, and I can't wait for Dr. Strange and Thanos.

Quote:Just saw it last night, best part was the new Spiderman. Ironman was getting on my nerves by the end of the movie. Really liked the guy who played Black Panther, I don't know anything about his comic book story but it was pretty interesting in the movie. Hawkeye continues to be one of my favorites and Antman was great. I still don't really care about Vision or the Scarlet Witch.

I'm curious how Dr Strange is going to tie into all of this and I'll probably pre-screen that one before I take the kidos. But for me this was one of my favorite MCU movies, 2nd right now only to Winter Solider. 
Black Panther was the first Black (African) superhero...dates back to the 1960s.

He initially fought the Fantastic Four, but only to test out his own abilities.

When I was a kid, I liked Vision and it was neat seeing him in a movie, but not much else is compelling about him, even this love angle with Scarlet Witch.

I agree with you regarding Winter Soldier.  I think that has to rank at the top of all superhero movies for me.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I agree with you regarding Winter Soldier.  I think that has to rank at the top of all superhero movies for me.

I had to watch Winter Soldier 3 times before I truly appreciated it for what it is. It's my favorite out of all of Marvel's movies so far. Daredevil is my favorite series.

Quote:Have seen it twice now, and I actually love it.  I feel like Stark's motivation is entirely understandable, actually--having created Ultron and having a huge blow dealt to his pride because of it, it makes sense that he'd be ready for some regulation.  

Spider-Man was great, Ant-Man likewise so.  I love how they've built the Avengers roster overall, and I can't wait for Dr. Strange and Thanos.

You might be the only person I've encountered to voice this opinion and you're definitely not wrong.

Most people empathize with Captain America that I've talked to because ultimately he's representing liberty and freedom in his own mind. Despite mutants having very little (relatively speaking) to do with Civil War due to House of M fallout (i.e. there weren't many mutants left with their powers at the time...I believe the whole Hope Summers/Messiah storyline was playing itself out in the X-Men books), the break revolved around the Superhuman Registration Act being viewed by the opposition as an extension of the Mutant Registration Act, who's sole underlying purpose was always put forth to be the first step in the subjugation of homo superior. The one very telling and poignant moment of the movie was when someone made a quip (I cannot remember who now...it may have been The Black Widow) about Cap's dissent considering he's mostly been a "company man" throughout his career.

Obviously, I "sided" with Cap then and I "sided" with him over the course of the movie. One of my best friends pointed out recently that the Civil War storyline is Marvel's commentary on our own political system, which is something I hadn't really given much thought until he brought it up.

-Etrigan the Demon

Quote:I had to watch Winter Soldier 3 times before I truly appreciated it for what it is. It's my favorite out of all of Marvel's movies so far. Daredevil is my favorite series.

DKR still ranks #1. Winter Soldier is a solid #2...but I have a pretty strong DC bias. Daredevil is really good but I personally don't think it was quite as good nor nearly had as much potential as Constantine did...which I'm still bitter about.

-Etrigan the Demon

COMIC SPOILERS DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED!!!

So Captain America: Steve Rogers #1 came out and apparently Captain America has been a sleeper agent for Hydra all along and goes into a back story around that. So yea, that happened. I don't like it at all. 

Quote:DKR still ranks #1. Winter Soldier is a solid #2...but I have a pretty strong DC bias. Daredevil is really good but I personally don't think it was quite as good nor nearly had as much potential as Constantine did...which I'm still bitter about.
That's why I said Marvel. In DC land I mos def liked DKR. I loved MoS even though many didn't. BvS was okay. I need to watch it again to get a better feel for it. 

I was hoping the Hulk showed up.

I thought Civil War was alright. Better than Cap 1, not as good as Winter Soldier, though as others have said that's one of the best superhero movies ever made.

Spidey was good. Black Panther has lots of potential.

All things being equal, though, I think BvS was far superior.

"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2016, 04:45 AM by JackCity.)

Quote:I thought Civil War was alright. Better than Cap 1, not as good as Winter Soldier, though as others have said that's one of the best superhero movies ever made.

Spidey was good. Black Panther has lots of potential.

All things being equal, though, I think BvS was far superior.
Batman vs Superman far superior? I actually enjoyed the movie but when you compare them side by side the difference is laughable.

Civil War had all the balance,story and development of characters within the story,it actually makes sense. BvS just kinda threw everything together and hoped for the best. I do love the Batman vs Superman fight scene though.

Quote:Batman vs Superman far superior? I actually enjoyed the movie but when you compare them side by side the difference is laughable.

Civil War had all the balance,story and development of characters within the story,it actually makes sense. BvS just kinda threw everything together and hoped for the best. I do love the Batman vs Superman fight scene though.

BvS had these huge thematic elements. God versus man. The redemption of a hero from his darkest point. The realization that being invulnerable is in itself a weakness.

The dialogue was far better and I would argue that each of the three main characters had better lines than any in CW.

Batman- "The world only makes sense if you force it to." And "You're not brave. Men are brave." Prefect insight into the character.

Superman- "No one stays good in this world." The moment when incorruptible superman considers slipping to become the monster everyone fears he is.

Lex- "The secret to the height is the building material, which.... sways." And " I learned long ago that if God was all powerful, he could not be all good. And if he was all good, he could not be all powerful." Shows a man who stops at nothing to be the god of his own world.

Plus the soundtrack was absolutely incredible.

Sorry for the essay but people hate on BvS so much and I feel the need to defend it.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/