Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Changes at 1010XL

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2016, 09:57 AM by TravC59.)

Quote:Its the only local sports talk. Whats the problem with people wanting good shows on there? Hacker is terrible. Ballou and T-Wigg were on together one afternoon last week and it was great. The two together daily would be nice.

But maybe I just need to "turn the radio dial".  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My point is that it's all opinion. I have no real issues with 1010. No one has to listen to it, there are other choices out there. For local sports radio, it's pretty good, in my opinion. These threads pop up a couple times a year and it's always the same bellyaching.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:As a native Pittsburgher, I must clarify that Frangie never actually lived in Pittsburgh or anywhere near Pittsburgh.  He's Florida born and raised.

He's more like Tommy to us on Goodfellas.
Same here, born just outside, didn't live there long. I still really haven't grasped what his ties to Pittsburgh and love for the teams are. I knew he wasn't from there too.

;

Do you notice that Frangie always name-drops?

Quote:I like Hacker as he is one of the best prepared radio guys here in Jacksonville.  That said, his loyalty to UF is kind of obsessive; especially for someone that never even went to school there.  He's a UNF grad.  I'm kind of ok with Alums being obsessive with their alma mater but outsiders should only carry a certain level of rooting interest.

All the prep in the world can't overcome a lack of talent.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Do you notice that Frangie always name-drops?
Has done in for years!

;

So far I like The Chalk show. It's not too bad.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 05-03-2016, 12:55 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:Same here, born just outside, didn't live there long. I still really haven't grasped what his ties to Pittsburgh and love for the teams are. I knew he wasn't from there too.

I think his ties are simply to the extent that he jumped on then bandwagon in the 70's when the Steelers and Pirates were winning Championships.

Quote:I think his ties are simply to the extent that he jumped on then bandwagon in the 70's when the Steelers and Pirates were winning Championships.
I think you are correct.

;

I'd like to hear McMannus during the season.  Unfortunately toward the end of his tenure a few years back, his radio show started to sound more like an infomercial for that little group / cult following that he founded.  I also kind of remember him bringing on some karate chick to speak about things nobody understood.

Overall I did really like his insight on the Jags and openness to call a spade a spade.  He could fully see the Jags were heading in the wrong direction during the end of the Shack era and on to the Gene era.

Quote:I'd like to hear McMannus during the season.  Unfortunately toward the end of his tenure a few years back, his radio show started to sound more like an infomercial for that little group / cult following that he founded.  I also kind of remember him bringing on some karate chick to speak about things nobody understood.

Overall I did really like his insight on the Jags and openness to call a spade a spade.  He could fully see the Jags were heading in the wrong direction during the end of the Shack era and on to the Gene era.

It almost seemed like he and Ballou were having issues right before he left but that's just speculation.  They should try putting him on a few Jaguars Thrusday segments with Boselli.  I think there would be an on-air fist fight.  

Surprised MJD hasn't been on Jaguars' Today with Dempsey, especially considering they do a Fantasy Football show together.

How can you not notice!!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

You mean before or after the constant repeating and garbling?  Makes me want to smash my radio.

I guess it's just me.  I have tried to listen to local sports-talk radio a few times, and I just can't get over how "amateurish" it sounds.  The hosts/anchors seem to think that it's more about them than the actual content.

If I'm in my truck, I'll stick to listening to satellite radio.  At home, it's either television or an internet stream.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I guess it's just me. I have tried to listen to local sports-talk radio a few times, and I just can't get over how "amateurish" it sounds. The hosts/anchors seem to think that it's more about them than the actual content.

If I'm in my truck, I'll stick to listening to satellite radio. At home, it's either television or an internet stream.

Ok, we get it... Sheesh.

None of them are great. Twig pretty much only argues with hacker. Prosser does nothing but yell while forgetting to breathe, it almost makes me turn the station every morning. But I can put up with everything except for lahm. That is the biggest pile of trash in jax sports news. The lahm rants literaly make me turn the station. It may not matter to 1010, but haveing that old piece of crap read a stupid piece of paper, he poorly threw together that morning, on the radio is not only terrible now but was never good to begin with. He is complete trash.

Quote:I think his ties are simply to the extent that he jumped on then bandwagon in the 70's when the Steelers and Pirates were winning Championships.

No, it's family related. As I recall, his uncle or some such is from Pittsburgh and Frangie spent a lot of summers there as a kid.

I want to say that the uncle, or whomever, had some relations with the Pirates, but I might be wrong about that. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:No, it's family related. As I recall, his uncle or some such is from Pittsburgh and Frangie spent a lot of summers there as a kid.

I want to say that the uncle, or whomever, had some relations with the Pirates, but I might be wrong about that. 

About 5 minutes into the show he'll name drop the whole story so he can tell you all about meeting Roberto Clemente.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Ballou moved to the afternoon to help Hacker learn the business. Hacker is unlistenable. The only thing he brings to the show is Gator jersey numbers and ridiculous commentary about his youth.

Frangie is endlessly repeating himself. It's nauseating. "It's the center's job to call out the blocking scheme. I mean, the center is the one who tells the rest of the line what the blocking pattern is going to be. In other words, the center is the quarterback of the line who makes the blocking calls." Yeah, we get it Frank.

Ballou and Dempsey are the best on the station. Twig and Joe C are decent and bring something to the party. The guys at night might as well sell ice cream from a truck.

Regards...................the Chiefjag

Quote:No, it's family related. As I recall, his uncle or some such is from Pittsburgh and Frangie spent a lot of summers there as a kid.

Listening on the drive home today, Frangie was pretending to be shocked that James Harrison went undrafted. Horrible radio! i feel like Ballou was the glue to that show.