Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Realistic target for 2016

Quote:I honestly dont think we need Bosa to make the playoffs.. Hes overrated and slow in my opinion... I think grounded is at least going 8-8 .. Nothing less.. Nail this draft and the playoffs will be short reached!

That sounds reasonable to me 8 wins should see us in the playoffs. People thinking 10'wins is too ambitious I feel. We're not going to just jump to that standard that quickly. We need a pass rusher in the draft, that's all that is lacking I think although Fowler should be that guy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:That sounds reasonable to me 8 wins should see us in the playoffs. People thinking 10'wins is too ambitious I feel. We're not going to just jump to that standard that quickly. We need a pass rusher in the draft, that's all that is lacking I think although Fowler should be that guy.
8 wins gets you into the playoffs? Hmmmm......

Quote:So after 4 years..... 8-8 is your goal? Sorry... Thats having a loser mentality. This division is weak. If the players do continue to progress there is no reason in the world we can't win 10 games. Our schedule isn't even that hard. NFC North? Bears Lions and Vikings? All winnable. AFC West? Chargers Chiefs Broncos (no QB) Raiders? All winnable. 6 division games? All winnable. Bills and Ravens? Winnable.

Obviously we won't win all those games but there should be no reason at all to not set the bar high. I would expect Gus to have his eyes on the division and the playoffs. If he doesn't, I would hope he is fired and a coach comes in who can actually put the players in the best position to win.

You never know about the Bears, Lions and Vikings, and the Ravens for that matter, but I agree those might be winnable. The AFC W is a tough nut to crack however, The Chargers are being largely overlooked because the Chiefs, Broncos and Raiders all look like SB contenders this season much like the Packers. The Bills are another SB contender, and we can't expect to get EJ Manuel again.

'02

Quote:You never know about the Bears, Lions and Vikings, and the Ravens for that matter, but I agree those might be winnable. The AFC W is a tough nut to crack however, The Chargers are being largely overlooked because the Chiefs, Broncos and Raiders all look like SB contenders this season much like the Packers. The Bills are another SB contender, and we can't expect to get EJ Manuel again.
The Vikings will be tough.  Raiders game will draw national attention. I wish that game was in Jax.

Quote:8-8 is the target IMO. Remember. Gus Bradley is coaching this team. I know the freshness of the wounds from his ineptness have worn off because it is April, but try to put yourself back in the moment of some of his coaching gaffes.

8-8 and he keeps his job, but I think 7-9 is the number.

Also, I think this is finally the year that more people jump on the Oehser is bad luck bandwagon. Got a bad feeling it will really rear its ugly head this season.

Bottom line. Don't expect real improvement until Gus and John are gone.

I hear you, although I think the "target" should be 10-6 and a Playoffs birth this season. It's merely my expectation that we go 8-8.

The problem with 7-9 is that it's still a losing record, and as long as the boo birds can claim this much they'll never go away. I actually do think 10 wins is not too much to ask for and is reasonable with all this talent, but this team is always good for a couple head-slapping losses you just can't figure.

With all that said, if this team reaches an 11-5 record, every last NFL fan leaguewide will drop his jaws.

'02

The target is: being in legit playoffs talk heading into December, and then finishing strong. Which basically means hovering around .500+ going into December which is realistic.

And I think for Gus to keep his job, he is going to need a strong December finish. No more one win Decembers.

Quote:Anything less than 10 wins is a failure.  The time for excuses and low expectations is over.

Comments like this seem wildly unrealistic to me. Just to clarify based on what I have read from SeldomRite, JagFanatic24,Frailbones,no 1 jag fan in Columbus,ATLjag and copycat, are you all saying that unless we go at least 9-7 Gus and/or Dave should be fired?

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

Quote:Comments like this seem wildly unrealistic to me. Just to clarify based on what I have read from SeldomRite, JagFanatic24,Frailbones,no 1 jag fan in Columbus,ATLjag and copycat, are you all saying that unless we go at least 9-7 Gus and/or Dave should be fired?
I don't think Dave should even be close to being fired. This team lacks coaching. Dave has done a good job of gathering talent on this team IMO.

9-7 is tricky. This team and organization needs a winning record. You can try to change the culture all you want but at the end of the day, winning is all that matters. I think he needs to make the playoffs and if that means 9-7 then I'm cool. There will be a TON of media analysts who will pick the Jags as a surprise team to make the playoffs (just like Minnesota last year) and we need to meet those expectations. I'm not scared of anyone in our division. I think our offense is the best in the South and if Gus can actually do what he's supposed to (get together the defense) then we should really win the division. An influx of talent is coming to the defense. If you can't get a good defense with players like Marks, Fowler, Smith, Jackson, Prince, House, Gipson, Jack/Bosa/Ramsey, Colvin, Poz, Odrick...... Then you need the boot.

Quote:An influx of talent is coming to the defense. If you can't get a good defense with players like Marks, Fowler, Smith, Jackson, Prince, House, Gipson, Jack/Bosa/Ramsey, Colvin, Poz, Odrick...... Then you need the boot.

Keep in mind they're all in their first season together. It could take a few games just to figure out how they jell with each other.

That said, I'm thinking the entire 2014 draft class is in somewhat of a contract year as they have a shot at getting an extension in the '17 offseason.

'02

Quote:Keep in mind they're all in their first season together. It could take a few games just to figure out how they jell with each other.

That said, I'm thinking the entire 2014 draft class is in somewhat of a contract year as they have a shot at getting an extension in the '17 offseason.
It may take some games to gel and that's cool. They get training camp and pre season and the 1st 4 of the regular season. Still... The talent is miles from where it was when Gus was winning 4 games. 6 or 7 shouldn't cut it.

19-0.

Quote:Settling for 8-8.... Some of you have a loser mentality.

Gus needs to get 10 wins and make the playoffs this year. Literally no excuses.

We thought the Ravens would be a loss this past year...... Never know with the schedule.

I just have to smh at the part in bold.

It took all Gus had last season, and some breaks along the way, to get to a career high 5 wins in a season and you are expecting Gus to double it and make the playoffs this upcoming year.

I think you missed the part of the title that said "realistic".

P.S. According to the NFL, Luke wasn't set for a full second on the game-winning FG and the FG should NOT have counted.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:The Vikings will be tough.  Raiders game will draw national attention. I wish that game was in Jax.

The Raiders game is in Jacksonville
[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Comments like this seem wildly unrealistic to me. Just to clarify based on what I have read from SeldomRite, JagFanatic24,Frailbones,no 1 jag fan in Columbus,ATLjag and copycat, are you all saying that unless we go at least 9-7 Gus and/or Dave should be fired?
Allow me to answer your question with a question.  Do you think the fans in Boston would be happy with 8-8?  How about Green Bay?  Denver has no proven QB how about those fans?  Why should I be happy with 8-8?

This team has a legitimate offense.  This team has added some weapons on defense.  This team plays in a weak division.  Anything less than 9-7 and Gus needs to be shown the door.  Period!

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

I know Gus sucks, but the team's talent at this point is playoff level. If people here believe the team won't get past 8-8 because the head coach is terrible then they're probably right. If anyone thinks the team doesn't have enough talent at this point then the team will never have enough talent. Every good team can't be the '85 bears.

Quote:I just have to smh at the part in bold.

It took all Gus had last season, and some breaks along the way, to get to a career high 5 wins in a season and you are expecting Gus to double it and make the playoffs this upcoming year.

P.S. According to the NFL, Luke wasn't set for a full second on the game-winning FG and the FG should NOT have counted.
Yea. Our target should be 10 wins.

Doesn't mean we will meet it but our expectations need to be much higher this year. Sorry if your loser mentality has you thinking 7 or 8 wins is good enough.

Jaguars 2016 preseason schedule features nationally-televised, prime-time Week 3 game against Cincinnati at EverBank Field; other opponents include New York Jets, Tampa Bay and Atlanta
-Source Jaguars.com

=====================================================

Of course you want the players to be healthy and some would argue to play vanilla (playbook only core plays or less) in the preseason.   I wonder how important is it to win PreSeason games?  Do you want to start off with the confidence gained from the franchise winning each week or would you rather only win the first two?

Quote:Yea. Our target should be 10 wins.

Doesn't mean we will meet it but our expectations need to be much higher this year. Sorry if your loser mentality has you thinking 7 or 8 wins is good enough.

I thought the goals was to go to the Super Bowl and win for every 32 NFL teams?

Quote:I just have to smh at the part in bold.

Aww, be nice. Don't ruin April dreams!

Quote:Jaguars 2016 preseason schedule features nationally-televised, prime-time Week 3 game against Cincinnati at EverBank Field; other opponents include New York Jets, Tampa Bay and Atlanta

-Source Jaguars.com

=====================================================

Of course you want the players to be healthy and some would argue to play vanilla (playbook only core plays or less) in the preseason.   I wonder how important is it to win PreSeason games?  Do you want to start off with the confidence gained from the franchise winning each week or would you rather only win the first two?

i just want players to remain healthy 

[Image: giphy.gif]