Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
James Sample has all-pro potential as a strong safety (especially in this scheme)

Quote:Where is this Cyprien at linebacker thing coming from? Do you really want Cyprien's main responsibility to be tackling and pursuit angles?
I will preface this with the statement of, I don't want him at linebacker. That said, one of the safeties main jobs is angles and taking proper ones to make plays and would be consiidered a "main responsibility" of the position.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Whoa! A rookie taken in the 4th round looked rough at times?!

Are you slow? I didn't say it's crazy for a rookie to look rough at times. I was responding to the person saying he has all pro potential. He was a rookie. An average 4th rounder at that. Give it a break with the teal koolade
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:This 

Quote:That. ^
What they said ^

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:I remember him looking bad quite a few times with poor decision making and penalties in his very limited role. He played on the day New England put 51 on us.. And didn't impress, (most didn't that day to be fair).

I said he didn't play particularly well and I think most objective people would agree with that.

Do you remember any specific plays or games that made him look like a future all-pro?

No. I didn't say I had.

To be honest, the point I was trying to make, was that we saw so little of him last year that I would say it's unfair to judge him good or bad. You make it sound like there were a handful of examples of him playing poorly, and I honestly don't remember that at all.

Quote:No. I didn't say I had.

To be honest, the point I was trying to make, was that we saw so little of him last year that I would say it's unfair to judge him good or bad. You make it sound like there were a handful of examples of him playing poorly, and I honestly don't remember that at all.
You are right. He really only played in three games and I am sure that in those he wasn't healthy.

;

Sample was pretty bad against Miami and got torched against New England (as expected). With that said, I definitely have more faith in him than Cyprien at this point.

I also believe Cyprien's tackling issues are being wayyy overblown here as well. He's actually made some really nice tackles, but everyone remembers the bad ones. My problem with Cyp is the lack of plays made! Interceptions, forced fumbles, recoveries, etc.
Shock the world

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2016, 04:25 PM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:Sample was pretty bad against Miami and got torched against New England (as expected). With that said, I definitely have more faith in him than Cyprien at this point.

I also believe Cyprien's tackling issues are being wayyy overblown here as well. He's actually made some really nice tackles, but everyone remembers the bad ones. My problem with Cyp is the lack of plays made! Interceptions, forced fumbles, recoveries, etc.
I agree. Look I know people remember the bad stuff but this is a guy who has over 300 tackles in 3 years. He is a solid player. He's not trash like everyone seems to make him out to be. He just doesnt have the splash plays. The forced fumble and recover for a TD or the interception taken down to the 5 yard line in the 4th quarter.

When people are saying Gibson wil make him better it means it will allow him to focus on playing closer to the line. Ill take a guy with 100 tackles a year staying focused on that lol.

With regards to the original post, i think Sample has some good coverage ability but he will be a little behind the curve due to his injuries. One thing this staff has proven to me is that they can develop players. Not every single player has improved (that wouldthat would be impossible) but a solid amount have. There is no reason to think Sample couldnt be a very good player.

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2016, 06:56 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

If we dont take Jack, I still want this guy.  Would even take him in the 2nd but he might be gone by then.  This guy is on a different level than Cyp or Sample.  The guy will force turnovers and be a beast as an in the box safety like Bob Sanders was.  Plus if Gipson gets hurt he could move right to the FS spot and excel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INOG00WUbkg

Quote:Put 10 - 12 pounds on Cyp and move him to linebacker.

Odrick - Jackson - Marks - Fowler

Cyp - Jack - Smith

Prince - Gipson - Sample - House

That would be really nice.
Nice but unlikely. Odrick may be unseated by a rookie while Cyp isn't quite ready to be and productive SLB and even if we do land Jack, he wont surplant [BLEEP]. within his rookie year. He'll be our SLB...

NH3...

"AZANE"

Quote:If we dont take Jack, I still want this guy. Would even take him in the 2nd but he might be gone by then. This guy is on a different level than Cyp or Sample. The guy will force turnovers and be a beast as an in the box safety like Bob Sanders was. Plus if Gipson gets hurt he could move right to the FS spot and excel

I'm with you. Gipson and Joseph is fire.
Shock the world

I want the team to trade down.  Ramsey is the only player I would consider at 5 but probably will be gone. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:I will preface this with the statement of, I don't want him at linebacker. That said, one of the safeties main jobs is angles and taking proper ones to make plays and would be consiidered a "main responsibility" of the position.
Lol ok, yes, every position with the word "defensive" in front of it has a main responsibility of tackling/pursuit.

Sorry, I really didn't think people wouldn't split hairs with this.

Okay this is great, but would you trade him to the Patriots in order to get Tom Brady?

THERE IS A SKELETON INSIDE OF YOU.

RIGHT NOW. THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Cyp is better than Sample. Cyp just mentally don't get it sometimes. He has the tools.

Quote:Okay this is great, but would you trade him to the Patriots in order to get Tom Brady?

I wonder if Belichick reads our message board to help him get some trade ideas.   :ph34r:  :ph34r:

Quote:Sample was pretty bad against Miami and got torched against New England (as expected). With that said, I definitely have more faith in him than Cyprien at this point.

Overblown?  He lead the team with 21 missed tackles last season alone.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Quote:Overblown? He lead the team with 21 missed tackles last season alone.

I'm not sure where you got that, but after a quick search I found that it was Josh Evans with 21 missed tackles. TJ Ward was up there with 22 missed tackles.
Shock the world

Quote:Lol ok, yes, every position with the word "defensive" in front of it has a main responsibility of tackling/pursuit.

Sorry, I really didn't think people wouldn't split hairs with this.
Safety more so then any other on that side of the ball. The original statement was off.

;

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2016, 01:28 PM by Diz.)

Quote:I'm not sure where you got that, but after a quick search I found that it was Josh Evans with 21 missed tackles. TJ Ward was up there with 22 missed tackles.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8450...an-cyprien

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...safety-job

Also:

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...105-season

Cyprien missed 13 tackles in his last six games.

The individual totals: Cyprien 21, Telvin Smith 16, Davon House 14, Posluszny 14, Aaron Colvin 13, Sergio Brown 10, Josh Evans 9, Dan Skuta 7, Chris Clemons 7, Tyson Alualu 7, Dwayne Gratz 6, Roy Miller 6, Thurston Armbrister 5, Andre Branch 5, Hayes Pullard 5, Abry Jones 4, Michael Bennett 3, Sen’Derrick Marks 2, Jared Odrick 2, Chris Smith 2, Demetrius McCray 2, James Sample 1 and Ryan Davis 1.

PA Jags Fan
;
; Supporting from long distance

Sample all-pro? Teal kool-aid flowing this offseason as usual.