Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
After 3 hours of free agency...

Quote:I thought Vernon was overrated. I'm glad the Giants outbid us.

I'm disappointed that the Jags didn't sign Mario Williams, especially since he "only" got slightly more than half of what Jackson gets. We needed a pass rusher more than another DT (assuming Marks will rebound in his 2nd season back from the ACL injury like Atkins did).  I thought Williams was the only legit DE in this year's free agency crop.

Gipson was a good signing. Ivory was a significant overpayment for a rotational RB, but does fill a need. The punter is essentially the same as Anger, so meh.

We missed out on Mack. Who plays center, Bowanko? If the Jags move Cann or Linder to center then who plays guard? I don't think the Jags should rely on such a move working out.

The best news of the day was Houston overpaying for a journeyman QB. Osweiler isn't even as good as Hoyer, and at that price the tinhorns are stuck starting him.
I am with you on the Williams analysis.  I wanted him more than Vernon.   It didn't surprise me that he came at a relative bargain.  I figured he would not command the kind of contract he got in Buffalo.

I don't know that we ever bid for Mack this go around.  I do have some trepidation about the interior of the OL.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:fans like this are why the front office is safe.  We got a 3 technique and a free safety coming off a bad year as well as a punter.  We were sold on this free agency class making a splash.  I was here when you sold us on Laurent Robinson as well as any other bum the team signed
This front office NEEDS to be safe.

Name a better draft class for this team than the 2014 class.

Last year's haul wasn't bad, either, and if Fowler can provide a pass rush, it'll be better.

Quote:I am with you on the Williams analysis.  I wanted him more than Vernon.   It didn't surprise me that he came at a relative bargain.  I figured he would not command the kind of contract he got in Buffalo.

I don't know that we ever bid for Mack this go around.  I do have some trepidation about the interior of the OL.

I mean, I would have rather thrown half the money we offered to Vernon and given it to JPP who is on a one-year prove it deal with the Giants. Same with Mario.

Quote:This front office NEEDS to be safe.

Name a better draft class for this team than the 2014 class.

Last year's haul wasn't bad, either, and if Fowler can provide a pass rush, it'll be better.
Re the 2014 moves the only moves the front office has ever made?  NO!!! the 2013 draft.  Who resigned Tyson? Who paid Toby?  How many games have we won?  We have picked 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, and 5th.  At this rate we will be in the playoffs in 15 years

lovethe jags absolutely

From Gene Frenette...

http://jacksonville.com/sports/columnist...tent=image

From Ryan O Halloran

http://jacksonville.com/sports/football/...ource-says

Quote:Re the 2014 moves the only moves the front office has ever made? NO!!! the 2013 draft. Who resigned Tyson? Who paid Toby? How many games have we won? We have picked 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, and 5th. At this rate we will be in the playoffs in 15 years

Maybe you should root for the giants.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2016, 12:26 PM by D0hv.)

Quote:A little more talented, but part of the problem with Jackson is that the Jaguars already were pretty good at DT, seems kind of a pointless signing.

The Jaguars will need to get a lot out of the draft class and Dante Fowler or they could end up as 2016's version of the 2015 Dolphins.
How ? Marks is always hurt, Jackson is a far better player and is also really young, and can never have enough depth at the d-line. I never like the idea of signing so many players in FA, we build through the draft. Some guys I wanted like Janoris Jenkins and Olivier Vernon both got ridiculous contracts for who they were. The Texans got Lamar Miller for a steal I think and he is also young. I think we should've went for him. The Raiders stacked up on great young players for great prices, that goes to show how that organization is above is in the rebuild process.

-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

Quote:Maybe you should root for the giants.
Maybe you should root for someone.  Because Im tired of this franchise being in the bottom of the league doesn't mean Im not a real fan. As bad as we have been

lovethe jags absolutely

I honestly think Caldwell has done a pretty good job so far.

IMO Vernon is overrated

I'd have liked M. Williams but meh, I am not disappointed at all

Mack? no thanks

Irvin? overrated (I rather have Jack)

Weddle? overrated and old

I gotta give Dave an A so far. This isn't over and we still have the draft.

It is weird that I am on the other side this time around...

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

Quote:How ? Marks is always hurt, Jackson is a far better player and is also really young, and can never have enough depth at the d-line. I never like the idea of signing so many players in FA, we build through the draft. Some guys I wanted like Janoris Jenkins and Olivier Vernon both got ridiculous contracts for who they were. The Texans got Lamar Miller for a steal I think and he is also young. I think we should've went for him. The Raiders stacked up on great young players for great prices, that goes to show how that organization is above is in the rebuild process.

Marks was hurt this year, though in the games he played in he made a significant difference. I'm not ready to just write Marks off yet.

The Jaguars are either going to have to sign on another pass rusher that makes a difference, or Fowler is going to have to have an impact, or the Jaguars could be the 2016 version of the 2015 Dolphins. Spent a lot of money at defensive tackle, but the coach is out of the building before the halfway point of the season.

Quote:Marks was hurt this year, though in the games he played in he made a significant difference. I'm not ready to just write Marks off yet.

The Jaguars are either going to have to sign on another pass rusher that makes a difference, or Fowler is going to have to have an impact, or the Jaguars could be the 2016 version of the 2015 Dolphins. Spent a lot of money at defensive tackle, but the coach is out of the building before the halfway point of the season.
Marks will be a year removed from an ACL injury, so he should be much closer to what he was prior to the injury when he gets back on the field. 

The Jags are going to bring in more pass rush help.  That seems to be pretty much a no brainer here.  Just because we're a couple of days into free agency doesn't mean they're done adding to the roster, plus you have the draft.  Between the two, Fowler is going to get help on the line. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Marks will be a year removed from an ACL injury, so he should be much closer to what he was prior to the injury when he gets back on the field. 

The Jags are going to bring in more pass rush help.  That seems to be pretty much a no brainer here.  Just because we're a couple of days into free agency doesn't mean they're done adding to the roster, plus you have the draft.  Between the two, Fowler is going to get help on the line. 

I'd hope so. Like I said, I like the signings, Gipson will probably be crucial, if he plays well it'll be huge, but the impact of the guys signed so far might not be as big as the money spent would suggest if the Jaguars can't get edge rush.

Quote:Free agency isn't a day long event. There are still plenty of pieces to secure, and the Jaguars have done awfully well so far. They missed out on one guy who ended up getting the 2nd biggest contract EVER given to a defensive player in the history of the league. They weren't as interested in Irvin as some speculated. I'm sure the whimpering chihuahua is in full meltdown mode over every move the team has made. Don't be that guy. The Jaguars had a good day.
Haha ha.

I think they've added a lot of good talent to this team that wasn't there a few days ago. The one that I thought would have been a big help was Irvin, obviously Vernon would have been great, but Irvin was who I really wanted them to get. Otherwise, I think they've done a really good job. 

Quote:I think they've added a lot of good talent to this team that wasn't there a few days ago. The one that I thought would have been a big help was Irvin, obviously Vernon would have been great, but Irvin was who I really wanted them to get. Otherwise, I think they've done a really good job. 
Caldwell just said Irvin was never on the team's radar.

Quote:Caldwell just said Irvin was never on the team's radar.
I know, I wonder what about him they were turned off by. It didn't seem fit was off at all. Character perhaps? Interesting.