Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NCAA Not Happy With Michigan's Spring Break Practices

How do you guys feel about college basketball and softball teams practicing, playing, and/or travling during Spring break?

How do you guys feel about schools like North Carolina and Kentucky doing a Bahamas trip during Summer break?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Apparently team trips to Florida for Spring Break isn't as innovating as we are giving Harbaugh credit for.

http://www.yaleherald.com/archive/xxv/3..../crew.html

""We don't know what we're missing, and we like it that way," Andy Card, the men's lightweight crew coach, declared. His team leaves at 5 a.m. on Fri., Mar. 6, to spend the two weeks of spring recess in sunny Tampa, Fla. But the only chance his athletes will have to soak up the rays will be during training or competition, which often adds up to five hours a day.

The rowers will only have one free day, the day following the President's Cup Open Regatta on Sat., Mar. 14, to visit Florida's attractions or catch up on homework. The heavyweight rowers will have no time to rest and will be on the water for six to eight hours a day."

Quote:How do you guys feel about college basketball and softball teams practicing, playing, and/or travling during Spring break?

How do you guys feel about schools like North Carolina and Kentucky doing a Bahamas trip during Summer break?
Different animal when it is during their season, different animal altogether. As I pointed out earlier, these sports get their breaks at other points during the academic year. 

You failed to address my comment concerning Emmert. The one you misread altogether. He never inferred what you are claiming.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:Different animal when it is during their season, different animal altogether. As I pointed out earlier, these sports get their breaks at other points during the academic year. 

You failed to address my comment concerning Emmert. The one you misread altogether. He never inferred what you are claiming.

So forcing the kids to miss their Spring Break is okay as long is the sport is in season? Also, North Carolina and Kentucky didn't take their Bahamas trips in season. They took those trips over summer break. Where was your uproar then?

And you'll have to clarify why you brought Emmert up yourself if you insist I misread it.

The NCAA is likely going to let North Carolina get away with over a decade worth of systemic cheating with little more than a slap on the wrist (if that). Color me not impressed by the NCAA and/or Emmert scrutinizing when/where Michigan uses its allotted 20 hours of Spring practice.

The SEC is home to two schools (Ole Miss and Tennessee) under a lot of heat for violations. Color me not impressed by Sankey and SEC slappies diverting attention to when/where Michigan is using its allotted 20 hours of Spring practice.

Quote:You're just going to keep ignoring the fact that the issue is their spring break, not that they are getting this awesome, fabulous, fun filled, free trip to Florida that you are trying to make it out to be, aren't you?

It's his SOP.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 02-22-2016, 07:22 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:So forcing the kids to miss their Spring Break is okay as long is the sport is in season? Also, North Carolina and Kentucky didn't take their Bahamas trips in season. They took those trips over summer break. Where was your uproar then?

And you'll have to clarify why you brought Emmert up yourself if you insist I misread it.
It was in August, and basketball, just like football work all summer long. This is nothing new. The basketball team/s didn't miss out on any down time that would normally be there. There was/is no need to be in an uproar over that. You are reaaaaaallllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy grasping at straws now. You are missing the point entirely.

Quote:So forcing the kids to miss their Spring Break is okay as long is the sport is in season? Also, North Carolina and Kentucky didn't take their Bahamas trips in season. They took those trips over summer break. Where was your uproar then?

No one forces basketball to miss spring break. They don't ever have it. There are other parts of the year where they get their time off. Your arguments are asinine. 

Why can't you look at what Emmert said regarding the situation? Or are you just assuming he said based on whatever fits your agenda? There is no way you read what his comments were on the topic. It wasn't even close to what you inferred, not at all.

;

Quote:There are two sides to every story.

"Everybody's going to get a spring break," he said. "There won't be a youngster who can't afford to fly somewhere and not enjoy a spring break."

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ss..._week.html

Did Bill O'reilly and the Spin Factor come up with this on their own?

Quote:How do you guys feel about college basketball and softball teams practicing, playing, and/or travling during Spring break?

You mean in season?

You really are as ignorant as they come.

Football players sometime miss Christmas with their family because of bowl games, New Years, Thanksgiving.  Spring Break in season is a drop in the bucket compared to that.  The main point Trav was trying to make was that if a football player is potentially giving up all that time for practice and a bowl game then that time should be given back to them during the spring.  Do you understand?  I'm sure you will glaze over this because it is what you do, but its the actual truth.

Using a softball team and a rowing team that travels for games or practice/tournaments is literally the dumbest thing you can do.  Do you want to now tell us that there are basketball teams that go to Maui for preseason tournaments and tell us how that's unfair?  It is still in season!  If Michigan wanted to come to Florida in season and spend a week here, feel free...but they aren't.

Quote:You really are as ignorant as they come.

Football players sometime miss Christmas with their family because of bowl games, New Years, Thanksgiving.  Spring Break in season is a drop in the bucket compared to that.  The main point Trav was trying to make was that if a football player is potentially giving up all that time for practice and a bowl game then that time should be given back to them during the spring.  Do you understand?  I'm sure you will glaze over this because it is what you do, but its the actual truth.

Using a softball team and a rowing team that travels for games or practice/tournaments is literally the dumbest thing you can do.  Do you want to now tell us that there are basketball teams that go to Maui for preseason tournaments and tell us how that's unfair?  It is still in season!  If Michigan wanted to come to Florida in season and spend a week here, feel free...but they aren't.
On top of committing themselves to the "Voluntary" summer workouts mind you...

;

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016, 05:19 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Quote:You really are as ignorant as they come.

I really don't think you understand the mindset of a college athlete.  Football players are a united brotherhood that loves being around one another.  Factor in a free trip to Bradenton/Sarasota during the spring break months and you have the perfect recipe for happiness.

You don't think Jim Harbaugh will have those kids out on the beaches of Siesta Key for a few days ????   This is a marketing gig to illustrate the benefits that go along with 4 & 5 star players committing to Michigan. He's going to make certain these players are pampered like crazy.

Trust me.  Big Joey Five Star would much rather be in FL with his teammates than be with mom & dad for a week.

Quote:I really don't think you understand the mindset of a college athlete.  Football players are a united brotherhood that loves being around one another.  Factor in a free trip to Bradenton/Sarasota during the spring break months and you have the perfect recipe for happiness.

You don't think Jim Harbaugh will have those kids out on the beaches of Siesta Key for a few days ????   This is a marketing gig to illustrate the benefits that go along with 4 & 5 star players committing to Michigan. He's going to make certain these players are pampered like crazy.

Trust me.  Big Joey Five Star would much rather be in FL with his teammates than be with mom & dad for a week.
<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">I played college football. While it was awesome to work out with, practice with, and hang out with teammates almost all of the time, it was nice to get those rare occasions where you could leave it for a week or even a few days and be at a place where you had no football obligations whatsoever.

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">No lift time to make. No conditioning time to make. No film to watch. No team meetings. No position meetings. No special team meetings. No training table. No treatment to be at. No classes. Nothing but a little down time. Just down time to relax and recuperate. It is a brief, and welcomed thing to a college athlete. 

;

You're crazy if you think college football players don't enjoy a little down time.

Quote:You're crazy if you think college football players don't enjoy a little down time.
Yup, no question about that.

;

If any of you are bored, you're invited to attend.

https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/7...88/photo/1

Ann Arbor is currently being hit with a huge winter storm. I bet the kids are going to love that Florida weather.

Quote:Ann Arbor is currently being hit with a huge winter storm. I bet the kids are going to love that Florida weather.
You just don't get it. Luckily, this is one of the things the NCAA will correct for the future.

;

Coming from his brother on a Michigan blog...yeah, that makes everything legit now.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???