Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Very very interesting read on bb5. 1 of the best football articles I've ever read

If he could get around 30 touchdowns and keep the INTS in single digits we'll be doing great

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Actually, what I took from it was that the team will be better, therefore, he won't need to throw so much. 

"It's possible that Bortles gets to 35 touchdowns again next year, but it would call for just as pass-heavy of an approach close to the goal line for Jacksonville, a lack of improvement in the team's running game, a defense that continues to call for shootouts and, of course, a little luck."

And that's perfectly logical.   If we're ahead late in games, we will be running, not throwing, if we have a better running game,  will be running more in the red zone and not throwing so much, if our defense is better, we won't be so desperate to score.   Basically, Bortles could be a better QB next year and still throw for fewer TDs.  

But that's not considering all possibilities. If we are ahead late in games, how did we get those points? If this team is going to be good enough to regularly take leads like that, it's like going to be on the back of our passing game. 

He also doesn't give any mention to Bortles increasing his efficiency. For ever INT or FUM that Bortles cuts, another possession that could end in a TD is added. Fewer turnovers means fewer empty possessions means more possible TDs. Always, that Jaguars may not have as many pass attempts if the team is improved, but if Bortles can increase his completion % it can offset the decrease in attempts.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2016, 05:27 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Quote:I really didnt mean to sound like i was judging your opinion more so arguing with the article itself. Defintely didnt mean to come of like that. It was just they really said you cant focus on one stat then built an arguement from one stat to say our star qb wont be that good. It was more of an accident that he did threw for 35 tds.

In the entire history of the NFL, and the Jaguars, no Jacksonville Jaguar QB has EVER accidentally thrown for 35 TDs, and they NEVER will.

How exactly does a QB accidentally throw for 35 TDs in a season?

Did Brady accidentally throw 36 TDs?

Did Cam accidentally throw 35 TDs?

Did Eli accidentally throw 35TDs?

Did Palmer accidentally throw 35TDs?

Did any other QB in the NFL accidentally throw for their # of TDs or just BB5?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:In the entire history of the NFL, and the Jaguars, no Jacksonville Jaguar QB has EVER accidentally thrown for 35 TDs, and they NEVER will.

How exactly does a QB accidentally throw for 35 TDs in a season?

Did Brady accidentally throw 36 TDs?

Did Cam accidentally throw 35 TDs?

Did Eli accidentally throw 35TDs?

Did Palmer accidentally throw 35TDs?

Did any other QB in the NFL accidentally throw for their # of TDs or just BB5?

It appears that you didnt understand my stance on this topic lol. I am agruing against the article. To me it appears that they are saying his 35 tds was more of an accident rather than his actual ability.

Quote:It appears that you didnt understand my stance on this topic lol. I am agruing against the article. To me it appears that they are saying his 35 tds was more of an accident rather than his actual ability.

Well then that post was directed at the writer of the article.

No QB "accidentally" throws for a lot of TDs.

An accident is a poor choice of words to describe BB5, or any other QBs, high number of TD passes.

It was more just the way it worked out, since the Jags were mostly unable to run the ball in when they got down there in scoring range, except for just a few times.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Well then that post was directed at the writer of the article.

An accident is a poor choice of words to describe BB5, or any other QBs, high number of TD passes.

It was more just the way it worked out, since the Jags were mostly unable to run the ball in when they got down there in scoring range, except for just a few times.
Oh I'm with you. It kills me to see how some people try to write of 35 tds. There are qbs who have never done that playing in the league currently. To add to that, his mechanics aren't even 100% correct yet. He was able to throw 35 tds and 4400 passing yards with being sacked 55 times and still developing mechanics. That to me is amazing and says that his potential hasn't been even been scratched yet. 

Quote:Well then that post was directed at the writer of the article.

Agreed on the TDs, but what about his pick-six INTs?

'02

Quote:Agreed on the TDs, but what about his pick-six INTs?

Those are accidental.

No QB intentionally throws for a high number of INTs. Tongue

It's very possible his overall numbers regress due to, hopefully, a better running game and a better defense.

His numbers can regress, as long as he is still showing improvement.

Quote:Agreed on the TDs, but what about his pick-six INTs?

Is he the only QB that threw pick 6's
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2016, 07:58 PM by iapetus.)

Quote:Is he the only QB that threw pick 6's
No.

He is the QB that threw the second most pick 6's this season (4). Only Philip Rivers managed more (5).

Then Derek Carr, Jay Cutler and Peyton Manning on three.

Tony Romo, Eli Manning, Tom Brady, Matt Schaub, Jameis Winston, Drew Brees, Colin Kaepernick, Mat Cassell, Ryan Tannehill, Marcus Mariota, Nick Foles on two.

And a whole load of QBs on one - in total, 29 QBs threw at least one pick 6 this season.

Of all of them, only two (Romo and Kaepernick) managed multiple pick 6's in a single game.

I haven't mastered the tools well enough to tell you what the pick 6 percentage for each of these players is - if it's anything like the INT percentage, it'll drop Bortles down the ranks a few places.

In terms of how painful these plays were, two of Bortles' pick 6's came when there was one score between the teams. Surprisingly, every other player with three or more pick 6's had three of theirs in close game situations.

It's also worth pointing out that he's one of only three QBs to be credited with a pick 6 on a deep pass, where the resulting touchdown is less easy to blame on the QB. That one went 25 yards down the field before being returned - the others were 4, 5 and 6 and were all on first down.

Didn't read.  5 wins.  Hopefully all these superman greatness translate to NFL wins.  It's a team sport, he has no D, but we go by ultimate results.  Hopefully, with time, we can see some,  Otherwise, all high school gal crush stuff.

Best ever in franchise?  Not even 3rd best right now.  Keep learning to win son.

Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:Didn't read.  5 wins.

[...]

Best ever in franchise?  Not even 3rd best right now.  Keep learning to win son.
Good point.

Except, of course, that it's utter garbage. There are plenty of examples of great individual sportsmen who have performed to a higher or lower level in terms of results based on the team and conditions surrounding them. Great players who move to poor teams and see fewer wins, or who move away from poor teams and start getting the wins that match their personal talent levels. Mediocre players who over-achieve because of their surrounding cast and collapse when they get a starring role elsewhere. It's how things work.