Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Do we let Bryan Walters walk?

We'll let him go.  He'll be signed by New England and have a career year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

No

I don't know some of it was Blake Bortles making him look better I think, and he is rather slow (not injury prone but not a young kid either).  I think he should be given a shot in preseason to prove himself among the other talent.

Kill the boy

Quote:I think the current CBA disallows this option.

Goodell is ruining the NFL.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I don't know some of it was Blake Bortles making him look better I think, and he is rather slow (not injury prone but not a young kid either).  I think he should be given a shot in preseason to prove himself among the other talent.

As a free agent why should he sign here just for a shot to prove himself for a roster spot when he could likely go somewhere else with a guaranteed slot receiver role?

'02

Quote:Goodell is ruining the NFL.

Take the skirts off the players.

If I were him, I'd be on a plane to Boston.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2016, 02:38 PM by AP06.)

Quote:As a free agent why should he sign here just for a shot to prove himself for a roster spot when he could likely go somewhere else with a guaranteed slot receiver role?

The devil you know?  Maybe he's got roots already set down here and doesn't want to disturb them.  If he isn't willing to take the risk of trying to survive the training camp elsewhere, staying in JAX with coaches he knows would be a smart move.  I don't see him missing the 53 man cut if he tries to stay with us.  Plus, if he gets hurts elsewhere, he may never get back on the field with them.  He has a chance to stick with the same strength and conditioning coaches through his injury here.

Not all players want the risk for more playing time.  He may feel his best place is to mature with this group of pretty good receivers and to develop alongside Bortles/AR/Hurns/Greene/Lee. 

I think he goes to New England or Detroit and blows up ala Wes Welker

If we want to get beat by him on another team.  (shorts)

Quote:He was hurt more than "phased out," but there are younger guys with more upside already under contract at the position.

Unlikely he's given a contract, IMO.

This

Quote:The devil you know?  Maybe he's got roots already set down here and doesn't want to disturb them.  If he isn't willing to take the risk of trying to survive the training camp elsewhere, staying in JAX with coaches he knows would be a smart move.  I don't see him missing the 53 man cut if he tries to stay with us.  Plus, if he gets hurts elsewhere, he may never get back on the field with them.  He has a chance to stick with the same strength and conditioning coaches through his injury here.

Not all players want the risk for more playing time.  He may feel his best place is to mature with this group of pretty good receivers and to develop alongside Bortles/AR/Hurns/Greene/Lee. 

I'm sure there's something like 1 in 20 players where they may stay for such reasons. You might call it the Tom Brady mentality.

'02

I like Walters, but the talent is already pretty deep at young WRs with potential, and Walters has already reached his potential.  The Jags know what they have in Robinson and Hurns.  And those guys are good enough that you don't want to take them off the field.  But then how do you find out what a healthy Lee can do?  How do you incorporate Rashad Greene?  How do you get the young guys with size and potential like Benn and Sterling in the game?  It's a good problem to have, and sometimes injuries make some choices for you.  But it looks good with or without Walters, so I'm okay either way. 

Walters would thrive in a specialized role for a contending team with a good QB - Brees, Rogers, Brady, Rivers, Wilson. 

Resign him, he will be cheap and see if he makes the team or not. Injuries happen in camp and I'd hate to see him gone before then need him.

Who?

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:As a free agent why should he sign here just for a shot to prove himself for a roster spot when he could likely go somewhere else with a guaranteed slot receiver role?

I would have to think that GM Dave Caldwell might say that the team wanted to let him test the Free Agency waters (sort of speak) because I don't think they will pay him big money to stay.

Brian Walters is signed through the end of the 2016 season.  So he is signed for next year.  This was one of the questions on the O-zone.  John said when he was cut during the 2015 season, his contract to return to the team included not only the rest of the 2015 season, but also the 2016 season.  Will he make the final 53 in September?  That is a different question, but he will be with the Jaguars for the summer unless he is cut.

Quote:Brian Walters is signed through the end of the 2016 season.  So he is signed for next year.  This was one of the questions on the O-zone.  John said when he was cut during the 2015 season, his contract to return to the team included not only the rest of the 2015 season, but also the 2016 season.  Will he make the final 53 in September?  That is a different question, but he will be with the Jaguars for the summer unless he is cut.

I've seen conflicting info on this for a while.  Rotoworld listed him as signed through 2016 as recently as 5 weeks ago, but now lists him as a FA in 2016.

Do you remember when this was asked in the O-Zone?

Quote:I've seen conflicting info on this for a while.  Rotoworld listed him as signed through 2016 as recently as 5 weeks ago, but now lists him as a FA in 2016.

Do you remember when this was asked in the O-Zone?

Spotrac and OverTheCap have him listed as signed through 2016.

His original 2015 FA contract was for 2 years, which Spotrac also lists as a previous contract, so I'd assume they would try to get him for roughly the same contract when they re-signed him in-season.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-...n-walters/