Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lovie Smith fired

Quote:Not saying I approve of the idea. Just saying it looks like that was their thought process.

I know what you meant, I was just pointing out a previous failure in a similar situation.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I know what you meant, I was just pointing out a previous failure in a similar situation.

Well the bucs are going the same route as the browns right now. Just a debacle. They better get it right this time.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Interesting names mentioned on NFLN earlier in addition to Dirk Koetter: Chip Kelly, Mike Smith and Tom Coughlin. This will be an interesting search to watch 

I still can't believe they fired Lovie for having basically the same record as us over the last 2 years. These appeared to be two young ascending teams needing an influx of more talent

Crazy to see player and suchs reactions to this.

Unreal!

This is a bad move on any number of levels, but there is one thing that sticks out to me in all of this.

The player reactions.

The Bucs players lamenting this move (at least as represented in this thread) have almost to a man cited the number of coaches in such a short period of time.

When you add in Joe Thomas' reasons for not wanting to be in Cleveland, it should tell you something about being overly reactionary and impatient when it comes to firing coaches.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Let's be honest. Lovie Smith sucks.  The only crazy thing about this is the timing.  Despite some great players on defense, the Buc's defense has been atrocious.  Those 6 wins were more about Winston having a great rookie year than Smith's defense.  The consensus was that the Buc's defense would improve under Smith, but has been spiraling downward since his hire.  26th in the NFL allowing 26.1 points per game.  Everything has gotten worse.  Points per game was 21st in the NFL the year before he was hired, down to 25th and 26th in the NFL after his hire.  Yards per game was 16th in the NFL the year before he was hired, down to 25th and 23rd in the NFL after his hire.

But, yeah, about that timing.... Makes me think either they got a call from an interested party or a team was likely to hire Koetter away. I think the obvious favorite is for Koetter to take over, but it would be pretty interesting if somehow they managed to lure someone like Kelly, Fisher, Urban, or Saban away.
Lovie Smith does not suck.

Let's put Smith in perspective.

He got the Bears to a Super Bowl and an NFC championship game in his 9 years with the Bears.  He had five winning seasons, four of which were 10+win seasons.    During Coughlin's 8 years here, he went to two conference championship games, no Super Bowls, and had only four winning seasons, 3 of which were 10+win seasons.  Coughlin is revered here for those accomplishments.

Wow!!!! I don't think anyone saw this coming.

Lovie was 2-14 in 2014 and then went 6-10 with a rookie QB in 2015, a 4 games in the win column improvement.

Most teams would be very happy to have an improvement of 4 games in the win column. I know we sure would around here.

The only thing that makes sense is they want to keep Dirk Koetter because of their much improved offense and other teams looking for a new HC were inquiring about Dirk.

I don't see any reason why they would fire Lovie AND let Dirk get away to become HC of another team after the big improvement they had over last season.

It came down to Lovie as HC and probably a new OC or promote Dirk to HC and find a new OC.

They will probably have to interview some other possible HCs though because of the Rooney rule, unless it doesn't apply if you hire from within. 

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Spot on remark about the Bucs turning into the browns. They better get whoever their guy is, because I don't think any decent coach would be willing to work for an organization that does things like this. Lovie wasn't a world beater, but he was a good coach who finally found a decent offense. Just a shame.

Quote:Spot on remark about the Bucs turning into the browns. They better get whoever their guy is, because I don't think any decent coach would be willing to work for an organization that does things like this. Lovie wasn't a world beater, but he was a good coach who finally found a decent offense. Just a shame.

I wonder if there has been a case before in the NFL where a guy had a 4 game win improvement over the year before and got fired?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:I wonder if there has been a case before in the NFL where a guy had a 4 game win improvement over the year before and got fired?
I dunno, but Steve Mariucci just put a good perspective on this.

He said the Bucs have fired Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, and Lovie Smith.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn'>Ed Werder@Edwerderespn </a> <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/684958244519845888'>1m</a>
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/Edwerderespn/status/684958244519845888'>1 minute ago</a>

OC Dirk Koetter developed relationship with QB Jameis Winston as <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bucs?src=hash'><span style="color:rgb(132,191,212);">#Bucs</a> O improved from 30th in <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash'>#NFL</a> to 5th - biggest jump in TB history
</span>

In yards. They were like 22nd in points.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

These coaches have to be looking at Gus Bradley like [BLEEP]

When the FO understands that the current coach is maxed out they make a decisive move. The Jags will eventually see this as an example of how they should've handled Sprinkles this year. Instead we get another season of Flat Gus.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Well the bucs are going the same route as the browns right now. Just a debacle. They better get it right this time.

Quote:Unreal!

This is a bad move on any number of levels, but there is one thing that sticks out to me in all of this.

The player reactions.

The Bucs players lamenting this move (at least as represented in this thread) have almost to a man cited the number of coaches in such a short period of time.

When you add in Joe Thomas' reasons for not wanting to be in Cleveland, it should tell you something about being overly reactionary and impatient when it comes to firing coaches.

This is what is the most striking to me. Too much turnover in the HC position in Cleveland and now in Tampa has good players wanting to get out.

I'm on record for my complete lack of faith in Bradley, but watching these other teams makes me understand at least somewhat why Caldwell and Khan are giving Bradley his full four years.

We've just had our first pair of 1,000 yard WRs in a decade and look to have finally found a legit franchise QB. Could you imagine 3-4 years from now those three publicly asking to be traded because our GM/owner are too reactionary and impatient?

“It just shows what kind of team we are. We’re a tough team. We like contact. We’re very physical. We want the issue to be brought to us so we can show people we can stand up to it and overcome it. Seeing that’s just a symbol of our team and who we are.” - Jaguars DT Malik Jackson

Absolute idiot move by the Bucs. Seriously?

As someone who was at ASU while Koetter was there, on the student press and covering the Sun Devils football team, all I can say to the Bucs is you reap what you sow. The man is a brilliant offensive mind, but his ability to lead a team is a joke. Players didn't respect him, he had zero understanding of how to build and run a defense, his recruiting was awful and his schemes were ridiculous (180 lb. running backs going up the gut, 240 lb. defensive tackles, etc.). He's an ideal coordinator, but the Bucs, if they do promote him, are about to find out just how terrible of a head coach he is.

Quote:Let's be honest. Lovie Smith sucks.
No, not really. He took the Bears to the Super Bowl. He was fired in Chicago after a 10-6 season. Think about that one for a second. He inherited an absolutely godawful Bucs roster and, with the help of Koetter and a young QB, had the arrow pointed in the right direction. Now the team gets to start over again, only this time it's with a clueless head coach.

Quote:When the FO understands that the current coach is maxed out they make a decisive move. The Jags will eventually see this as an example of how they should've handled Sprinkles this year. Instead we get another season of Flat Gus.
Lovie wasn't maxed out though. Not even close. The Bucs FO just has no idea how to build a team.

I just read on Twitter via @NFLSTROUD that Smith was fired via phone call.

Who the #### does that?!?!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Make it happen, Gus!

[Image: 2016-01-07_9-29-31_zpstitmtgy6.png]

Quote:I dunno, but Steve Mariucci just put a good perspective on this.

He said the Bucs have fired Tony Dungy, Jon Gruden, and Lovie Smith.

I am GLAD the Jags owner isn't a meddling, reactionary idiot.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Quote:I just read on Twitter via @NFLSTROUD that Smith was fired via phone call.

Who the #### does that?!?!
The Bucs, apparently. And the Foo Fighters, if you're a subpar replacement for their legendary guitarist.

Quote:Make it happen, Gus!
This would make me so happy you have no idea. An outstanding defensive mind who brings a scheme with different ideas than the one we currently run, and a ready-made replacement if Gus' first four games next season are about as good as his first four were this season.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM by Jags.)

Quote:Make it happen, Gus!

[Image: 2016-01-07_9-29-31_zpstitmtgy6.png]
Gus: "so that's when I started dancing as if I was in the Thriller music video..."

Lovie: ( what the hell is this guy talking about?)