Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Does everyone want to go to the playoffs and why

I want playoffs to establish a winning culture. Plus, more reps for our young team.
No commercial messages in sigs

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think everyone can acknowledge were not good enough to actually compete with most of these playoff teams?

Does anyone really want an empty playoff appearance at the cost of a potential defensive stud just so they can say "hey we made the playoffs!!"

Leave ur thoughts in the comments below Smile
It's a valid question; seriously, does anyone actually think THIS team is play off worthy? Obviously, we're not. It's not that backing into the play offs with the overly generous help of other teams wouldn't have some benefit for this young club; I can see the 'experience' angle of it being beneficial. But I wonder, does the 'experience' benefit outweigh the benefit of having a better draft pick?

Part of me is soooo tired of this teams losing ways that I balk at the thought of not pushing for the most wins that we might be able to get. On the other hand, our goal is to be a legitimate play off contender, not 'once in a blue moon lucky pretenders'.

As it happens, I don't believe we have reason to be concerned with making the play offs this season anyway; both Houston and Indy won yesterday and the only way we'll make it to the play offs now is by winning all of our remaining games. All of our division rivals are playing good football now, so the likelihood of that feat is small, small, small,<span style="font-size:14px;"> so, get over it.</span>

Quote:I think everyone can acknowledge were not good enough to actually compete with most of these playoff teams?

Does anyone really want an empty playoff appearance at the cost of a potential defensive stud just so they can say "hey we made the playoffs!!"

Leave ur thoughts in the comments below Smile

No playoff appearance is an empty one for a team that hasn't been there in 8 years. 

I get a kick out of the fact that many of those who say it's all about the wins suddenly support the notion that we shouldn't win because it prevents us from getting player x in the draft.  I wonder if they are talking about tanking games in New England or in towns where they are perennial winning organizations?   Not drafting in the top 5 of the draft is a sign of progress.  The kind of progress you want from your franchise.

I know the "only wins matter" crowd has had to shift gears now because the team has one 3 of the last 4, so the focus has to be on losing to get rid of Gus or to get a better draft pick.  So, wins only matter when it fits their agenda and the team isn't winning.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:One of the dumbest questions I have seen on this board
i wish there was a nominate comment for best of the year... id click for this

Someone actually had this thought, then took the time to type it out and then actually hit the "post" button.......

Yikes.

Quote:It's a valid question; seriously, does anyone actually think THIS team is play off worthy? Obviously, we're not. It's not that backing into the play offs with the overly generous help of other teams wouldn't have some benefit for this young club; I can see the 'experience' angle of it being beneficial. But I wonder, does the 'experience' benefit outweigh the benefit of having a better draft pick?

Part of me is soooo tired of this teams losing ways that I balk at the thought of not pushing for the most wins that we might be able to get. On the other hand, our goal is to be a legitimate play off contender, not 'once in a blue moon lucky pretenders'.

As it happens, I don't believe we have reason to be concerned with making the play offs this season anyway; both Houston and Indy won yesterday and the only way we'll make it to the play offs now is by winning all of our remaining games. All of our division rivals are playing good football now, so the likelihood of that feat is small, small, small, so, get over it.

It's like you're in my mind and reading my thoughts verbatim...

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:It's a valid question; seriously, does anyone actually think THIS team is play off worthy? Obviously, we're not. It's not that backing into the play offs with the overly generous help of other teams wouldn't have some benefit for this young club; I can see the 'experience' angle of it being beneficial. But I wonder, does the 'experience' benefit outweigh the benefit of having a better draft pick?

As it happens, I don't believe we have reason to be concerned with making the play offs this season anyway; both Houston and Indy won yesterday and the only way we'll make it to the play offs now is by winning all of our remaining games. All of our division rivals are playing good football now, so the likelihood of that feat is small, small, small, so, get over it.

So a team that won 7 games the past two seasons and is largely led by players with three years or less NFL experience wins enough games to make the franchise's first playoff appearance in eight years? No thanks. I'd like a draft pick in the teens instead of the 20's my friend.

;

;

(This post was last modified: 11-23-2015, 10:22 AM by Atreas.)

Quote:Playoffs no question. Why do you play the game? To win the game, not for a draft pick like the stupid clots.

And the Colts is in top of the AFC. So who was the stuipd ones. They got Luck and we got nothing but lossing seasons. But for us to reach the playoffs this season is not very favorable since we still have to play the clots, horns again and they are rolling. I just don't see us winning the division this year to make the playoffs. We are not consistent. You can blame the 3 games that we should have won instead lost. Those will bite us and prevent us reaching the division. I don't see us winning the division or comming close tI'll 2018 season. We are 2 to 3 key players away before we become elite.

Quote: I think we were the stuipd ones with pride that game. They got Luck and we has nothing but lossing seasons. 

[Image: Are-you-serious-gif.gif?gs=a]

;

;

We don't play games every season just to get to the draft. It's not the national drafting league. 

Quote:And the Colts is in top of the AFC. So who was the stuipd ones. They got Luck and we got nothing but lossing seasons. But for us to reach the playoffs this season is not very favorable since we still have to play the clots, horns again and they are rolling. I just don't see us winning the division this year to make the playoffs. We are not consistent. You can blame the 3 games that we should have won instead lost. Those will bite us and prevent us reaching the division. I don't see us winning the division or comming close tI'll 2018 season. We are 2 to 3 key players away before we become elite.
Wow... Almost too much terribleness in this post to respond to.... but lets try!

Is Luck in this draft? Nope... Cool so having a really high draft pick this year means nothing.

At 4 wins, we are almost certainly out of the running for the top pick this year anyway. 

Winning the division and making the playoffs are bad now? Man... When did making the playoffs hurt a team? Please give me some examples of a team that made the playoffs and then lost out on some studs.

Remember last year when the Panthers made the playoffs at 7-9.... then won a playoff game?

Apparently this fan base also doesn't know how to win quite yet either. Guess I can't blame you. 

I'm a fan of teams in other sports that have tried this strategy of tanking to get a better pick.  Do you know what happens the next season?  Right off the bat the fans are watching College to see who else they can go for to "compliment" the guy they tanked for, who they quickly learned isn't the guy they hoped he was.  It happens over and over and over.  

In my mind, tanking for a better pick is like sitting still in the ocean and the waves just continually move you in a circular motion and you never go very far forward or back.  It's just a perennial, never ending loop. I HATE the idea of losing on purpose.  If you want to lose on purpose, get out of sports and find a different career/hobby.  You play a sport to win. Playoffs all the way. 

Quote:Does anyone really want an empty playoff appearance at the cost of a potential defensive stud just so they can say "hey we made the playoffs!!"

Of course we want to make the playoffs if possible. That's a dumb question
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I'm a fan of teams in other sports that have tried this strategy of tanking to get a better pick.  Do you know what happens the next season?  Right off the bat the fans are watching College to see who else they can go for to "compliment" the guy they tanked for, who they quickly learned isn't the guy they hoped he was.  It happens over and over and over.  

In my mind, tanking for a better pick is like sitting still in the ocean and the waves just continually move you in a circular motion and you never go very far forward or back.  It's just a perennial, never ending loop. I HATE the idea of losing on purpose.  If you want to lose on purpose, get out of sports and find a different career/hobby.  You play a sport to win. Playoffs all the way. 
The tanking idea sure is working well for the 76ers......

The people who whine about losing draft position are the same people who whine about our high first round picks not working out.

Just thought I'd point that one out there.

I'd rather the players that we already have prove that they can win games than worry about where we will pick in the draft.

What's an empty playoff appearance?

I want to win games.

Screw draft position.

Absolutely. Making the playoffs will do a lot for this team both from a confidence and stability standpoint. Caldwell has managed to get players like Robinson, Linder, Colvin, and Telvin Smith in the late 2nd round and beyond. I suspect that a mid-to-late 1st is still something he can make work.

Playoffs, please.