Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
James Sample may start at SS this Sunday

Quote:Hahaha no wonder some people are so delusional here. We're Seattle south!!! Gimme a break. Looks like Dave Caldwell was another reach by khan.

Touchdowns
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They told him to start learning how to play a position on Tuesday? And how is this good to hear? He has four days to learn a position he doesn't play. 

I don't know much about the safety positions and how hard it is to switch from one to the other, so should I be worried or not?

<a class="" href='http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster/Johnathan-Cyprien/8fbc4092-b78d-4279-88ac-4cbf7075151d' title="">Cyprien, Johnathan</a>

S

Finger/Calf

DNP

DNP

DNP

Doubtful

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:They told him to start learning how to play a position on Tuesday? And how is this good to hear? He has four days to learn a position he doesn't play.

I don't know much about the safety positions and how hard it is to switch from one to the other, so should I be worried or not?

I may be wrong. But from what I understand, Gus wants both the safeties in our system play very similar roles. Almost interchangeable
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I may be wrong. But from what I understand, Gus wants both the safeties in our system play very similar roles. Almost interchangeable
Ah okay, that makes sense.

He played SS in college too

;

;

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM by TexasJag956.)

I didn't know Cyp was injured, looks like we will get to see Sample a lot sooner than i thought we would. If he plays anything like he did in college, idk if Cyp will be starting again.

Quote:Good, now we just need Bowanko or Lewis at LT to rid ourselves of these busts
Lewis? As in Marcedes Lewis as a left tackle?

Quote:Caldwell is looking worse and worse as a GM as the days go by.
Well, no, given that his draft pick is injured and the spot being filled by another one of his draft picks.

Quote:if sample and brown start at the two safety spots, and evans is one back up, who is the other?
Evans would presumably back up at both spots. If the team loses two safeties during the course of the game, maybe Gratz would slide in back there as an emergency fill-in?

Side note on Evans: what does it say about him that the backup free safety, who had never played strong in this scheme before until Tuesday, is considered a better option to start in Cyprien's place than the guy who spent all summer working as his backup is?

Quote:I didn't know Cyp was injured, looks like we will get to see Sample a lot sooner than i thought we would. If he plays anything like he did in college, idk if Cyp will be starting again.

Reading some of the posts, seems like a lot of other folks didn't know that, either.

Quote:The point is that they were both considered really safe players and neither really amounted to anything but being average at best.

As far as expectations in relation to their draft slots, you're absolutely right, Curry was a huge bust. I don't consider Cyprien a bust, but I do believe he, like Curry, was a bit overhyped by the media with the "safe pick" moniker.

How is a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round, from FIU a "Safe pick"?

Cyp was very much a high potential pick.

Sample seems like a really fast, athletic and tough guy, I really hope he does great we need it badly.

Quote:How is a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round, from FIU a "Safe pick"?

Yes...and no. There were plenty of draftniks projecting him to the end of round one, and lots of them (Mayock in particular) thought that his natural skill set translated well enough to the pros that the risk of him busting was comparatively low, even given his small school status.

Quote:Sample seems like a really fast, athletic and tough guy, I really hope he does great we need it badly.
I wouldn't call him fast, necessarily, but athletic and tough yes.

Quote:How is a guy who was drafted in the 2nd round, from FIU a "Safe pick"?

I understand what he's saying.  The only knock on him was his level of competition, which understandably placed him back in the draft.

He's comparing the two as their evaluations, not as their draft position.  I didn't think that needed to be explained, but...

Quote:I understand what he's saying.  The only knock on him was his level of competition, which understandably placed him back in the draft.

He's comparing the two as their evaluations, not as their draft position.  I didn't think that needed to be explained, but...

Curry was considered a "safest pick in the draft". Just like Danny Watkins and Jonathan Cooper. None of whom panned out. I don't remember hearing anything close to that about Cyprien. 

;

;

Quote:Curry was considered a "safest pick in the draft". Just like Danny Watkins and Jonathan Cooper. None of whom panned out. I don't remember hearing anything close to that about Cyprien.

I actually remember hearing someone say that, i can't remember who though.

Quote:I actually remember hearing someone say that, i can't remember who though.

About who?

;

;

Quote:About who?

About Cyprien, that he was the "safest" pick in the draft.

I watch and read alot of draft coverage and cannot say I remember that. Especially in a draft with two guards, Cooper and Warmack, that were being labeled as such.

;

;

Quote:I understand what he's saying.  The only knock on him was his level of competition, which understandably placed him back in the draft.

Their draft positions are based on the perceived risk. The fact that he played a lower level of competion is what made him a riskier prospect, hence his lower draft position.

Quote:I actually remember hearing someone say that, i can't remember who though.
It was'nt said by anyone making the draft picks, thats for sure. Otherwise he would have never fallen into the 2nd round.