Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who do you blame for the lack of Offense against the Panthers?
HC Gus Bradley
OC Greg Olson
QB Blake Bortles
OT Luke Joeckel
OT Sam Young
OLine in general
WRs poor performance
The kindergarten fans for not cheering louder & taking naps
GM Dave Caldwell
Corn, Blank #2
[Show Results]

Who do you blame for the lack of Offense against the Panthers?

Quote:It's the TEs fault.  During halftime, Lewis and that white dude should have gone ballistic in the locker room and kicked somebody's [BAD WORD REMOVED] due to the lack of being targeted.
I almost felt cheated, honestly. I don't know how you can involve the tight ends so much in the preseason, and now we get this?

That's what kills me. People are saying "blah, we're running the offense this team was built around, blah blah blah." Really? Because we kept a bunch of tight ends and didn't target them at all.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Here's my thing FBT, you're saying the offense will get better when it gets its playmakers back. Well Marqise can't be counted on to stay healthy, and there were virtually no tight end targets last week, so how much of a difference will Julius make? He has an injury history too!

The offense is going to get better regardless of whether these guys stay healthy or not. 

Regarding the TE targets last week, I think they pretty much explained that as clearly as anyone possibly could.  Just because the ball didn't go to the TEs as much as the fans would prefer doesn't mean those plays weren't called.  They said that they were indeed called, but that for the majority of plays, Bortles reads took him away from the primary targets.  Gus made multiple references to the QB trusting his reads this week.

You're making my point about the whole hurry up offense.  This team simply isn't built for it, and when the two receiving threats on your roster who are expected to be the guys who are going to be your go to guys aren't out there for whatever reason, how good is a hurry up offense going to be?  A couple of dropped passes later, you're punting, rinse and repeat.  Great idea.

Quote:Yes, because other teams don't also have injuries. The Panthers were 100% healthy, right?

I'm not really sure what your point is here, but I'm sure you really  think you've showed something, so good for you!

Injuries happen to all teams.  This is a young offense that is still missing a couple of pieces, and others are just becoming acclimated to the NFL.  Anyone expecting this offense to come out of the box firing on all cylinders ignored reality.  And the offense took another step back when Joeckel went down with the ankle injury.  What they should have focused on after the Panthers lost Keuchly with the offensive play calling was pounding the middle of that defense with the running game, particularly after Young came in at LT.  That would have allowed the line to build up some confidence, and it would have taken the defense out of attack mode defending the pass.  

Despite the struggles, the real killer for the offense was mistakes.  Fans like you would have been singing a completely different tune afterwards had the receivers held on to the passes they dropped or fumbled away. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I almost felt cheated, honestly. I don't know how you can involve the tight ends so much in the preseason, and now we get this?

That's what kills me. People are saying "blah, we're running the offense this team was built around, blah blah blah." Really? Because we kept a bunch of tight ends and didn't target them at all.

And the QB took calls intended for the TEs and went a different way.  What's supposed to happen there exactly?  Should they run the hurry up hoping that gets those TEs more involved?  It's getting comical how people like you seem to know what the play calls were beyond any shadow of a doubt. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:The offense is going to get better regardless of whether these guys stay healthy or not. 

Regarding the TE targets last week, I think they pretty much explained that as clearly as anyone possibly could.  Just because the ball didn't go to the TEs as much as the fans would prefer doesn't mean those plays weren't called.  They said that they were indeed called, but that for the majority of plays, Bortles reads took him away from the primary targets.  Gus made multiple references to the QB trusting his reads this week.

You're making my point about the whole hurry up offense.  This team simply isn't built for it, and when the two receiving threats on your roster who are expected to be the guys who are going to be your go to guys aren't out there for whatever reason, how good is a hurry up offense going to be?  A couple of dropped passes later, you're punting, rinse and repeat.  Great idea.

I'm not really sure what your point is here, but I'm sure you really  think you've showed something, so good for you!

Injuries happen to all teams.  This is a young offense that is still missing a couple of pieces, and others are just becoming acclimated to the NFL.  Anyone expecting this offense to come out of the box firing on all cylinders ignored reality.  And the offense took another step back when Joeckel went down with the ankle injury.  What they should have focused on after the Panthers lost Keuchly with the offensive play calling was pounding the middle of that defense with the running game, particularly after Young came in at LT.  That would have allowed the line to build up some confidence, and it would have taken the defense out of attack mode defending the pass.  

Despite the struggles, the real killer for the offense was mistakes.  Fans like you would have been singing a completely different tune afterwards had the receivers held on to the passes they dropped or fumbled away. 
Again, if I'm behind, I'd much rather have dropped passes end my drive with 20 minutes of game left than have the very same thing with 9 minutes of game left

Quote:When we get Toby back, we'll be running the ball like the Cowboys of the early 90s
When we get Toby back, it'll have about as much of an impact on the offense as getting a 3rd string linebacker back on the field.  The running game is fine without him.  Had they had him on the field for some of the short yardage plays, things may have been different, but Yeldon and Robinson were doing a solid job in running the ball. 

Quote:Again, if I'm behind, I'd much rather have dropped passes end my drive with 20 minutes of game left than have the very same thing with 9 minutes of game left
You say that now, but I will guarantee that if they had gone the idiotic way and run the hurry up, and there were multiple drops in that scheme, you'd be killing the coaching for lousy play calling saying we should have  been running the ball.  Deny it, but if the offense sputtered running your scheme, you'd just sing another whiney tune. 

Quote:When we get Toby back, it'll have about as much of an impact on the offense as getting a 3rd string linebacker back on the field.  The running game is fine without him.  Had they had him on the field for some of the short yardage plays, things may have been different, but Yeldon and Robinson were doing a solid job in running the ball. 

You say that now, but I will guarantee that if they had gone the idiotic way and run the hurry up, and there were multiple drops in that scheme, you'd be killing the coaching for lousy play calling saying we should have  been running the ball.  Deny it, but if the offense sputtered running your scheme, you'd just sing another whiney tune. 
I'm not arguing for the hurry up as an offensive philosophy, I'm just arguing for it to be used more than it is (once in a while outside of the 2 minute mark). Keep the defense on its heels. It's a huge advantage for the offense.

The shotgun argument is different. Using more shotgun doesn't mean that you have to run hurry up, you can still call run plays out of it, and it's also helpful for the quarterback when he's getting hit a lot.

Quote:I'm not arguing for the hurry up as an offensive philosophy, I'm just arguing for it to be used more than it is (once in a while outside of the 2 minute mark). Keep the defense on its heels. It's a huge advantage for the offense.

The shotgun argument is different. Using more shotgun doesn't mean that you have to run hurry up, you can still call run plays out of it, and it's also helpful for the quarterback when he's getting hit a lot.
They had trouble executing the base offense.  What part of that are you struggling with?

I'd love to see the % of plays we ran out of the shotgun last year when Bortles and Henne got sacked more than 70 times.  I would imagine it was a good portion of the time.  Shotgun limits the kinds of plays you can run, especially in the run game, which is what this roster was built to execute. 

Quote:They had trouble executing the base offense.  What part of that are you struggling with?

I'd love to see the % of plays we ran out of the shotgun last year when Bortles and Henne got sacked more than 70 times.  I would imagine it was a good portion of the time.  Shotgun limits the kinds of plays you can run, especially in the run game, which is what this roster was built to execute. 
SO MAYBE THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE BASE OFFENSE? I mean that's the logical conclusion I can draw given that they worked on it all offseason.

If they're struggling to run the base offense, then you have a [BLEEP] coaching staff or [BLEEP] players. This shouldn't be that hard for guys making millions of dollars.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 05:28 PM by clfcrn777.)

Quote:SO MAYBE THERE'S A PROBLEM WITH THE BASE OFFENSE? I mean that's the logical conclusion I can draw given that they worked on it all offseason.

If they're struggling to run the base offense, then you have a [BAD WORD REMOVED] coaching staff or [BAD WORD REMOVED] players. This shouldn't be that hard for guys making millions of dollars.
If you're making millions of dollars to do something, it should look at least semi professional. What we have seen has been nothing close to professional the last 3 years. Mike Mularkey coached a more efficient scoring offense.

I'm not saying the professional game isn't more complicated, but these guys have been playing this game most of their lives. They should be catching on faster.

You're talking to yourself.  Is that the only way you'll feel validated?

Until the team can execute mistake (or at least close to it) free football from the base offense, trying to get cute with your gimmicks is pointless.  The lack of execution coupled with what you want to do simply means we welcome back the blowout losses. 

How about trying a novel approach and let the team develop?  I know, that's unacceptable for a microwave fan who demands instant gratification, but the reality is, that's what you're going to have to do because nothing is going to be magically fixed instantly.  The sooner you realize this, the less angst you'll suffer from.

So we have another poll to assign blame to somebody.  It can't be Bush's fault this time, it must be Obama's fault.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Caldwell, he hired Gus and drafted the players

Quote:You're talking to yourself.  Is that the only way you'll feel validated?

Until the team can execute mistake (or at least close to it) free football from the base offense, trying to get cute with your gimmicks is pointless.  The lack of execution coupled with what you want to do simply means we welcome back the blowout losses. 

How about trying a novel approach and let the team develop?  I know, that's unacceptable for a microwave fan who demands instant gratification, but the reality is, that's what you're going to have to do because nothing is going to be magically fixed instantly.  The sooner you realize this, the less angst you'll suffer from.

What you are saying is that after a complete offseason including minicamps, the main training camp, and four preseason games, the Jags still need more time before the offense is good enough to score more than 9 points against a defense minus its two best players.

I see that as a lack of preparation, and that buck stops at the head coach.

Other coaches can get a lot more production out of a new offense in the first week. Chip Kelly scored 33 with his newly-installed offense. Andy Reid 28. Bruce Arians 24. Even Mularkey with Blaine Gabbert at QB the Jags managed to score 26 points in the first game running a new offense.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:You're talking to yourself.  Is that the only way you'll feel validated?

If the team can't even perform adequately in the base offense they have been practicing for months, then why should be trust the base offense?

It's either an issue with coaches not adapting the scheme to the skillset of the players they have, or it's that the players themselves just aren't that good. It's one of the two.

Quote:So we have another poll to assign blame to somebody.  It can't be Bush's fault this time, it must be Obama's fault.
Personally, I blame Corn for this, but Blank #2 deserves to take some heat as well.

(This post was last modified: 09-18-2015, 07:46 PM by clfcrn777.)

How many other teams consistently struggle this mightily on offense? Plenty of teams undergo changes in playbook and players. Look at the Ravens, their roster is always changing, and Flacco is on his 4th OC in just a few years. That man won a damn super bowl. This "they're still getting used to it" crap is ridiculous.

The ravens changed OC's mid season that super bowl year for crying out loud. But I'm sure you have a reasonable explanation for why this situation is different FBT.

In what other job are you given millions of dollars a year, and 12 months of training? Give me a break.

We play as a team. I blame the D for not letting the O know that they (hate to say it) are sucking and they need to step up. Don't stop putting the pressure on. Attack them down the field even if you don't complete it at least it will keep them honest. Double moves, attack and it'll set up screens, playaction..... it all plays a part for victory.  

FBT, are you really Vic Ketchman? Or Tony Khan?

clfcrn777, you sure ask a lot of questions