Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sen'Derrick Marks Could Possibly Miss Six Games

Quote:Really?

Scobe is the key factor keeping them from making a playoff run?

Really?

It isn't that hard to view it as such. Scobee is a veteran with a proven track record. We cant do anything right now with a 6th round pick. Also, kickers DO make or break playoff runs.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Agreed.  I think he'll be fine.  Losing Marks sucks for the early part of the season, but the team can survive without him for a few games.  I'd rather see him get healthy and more confident on that knee.  His presence will matter more as the season progresses, especially if the Jags get on a bit of a hot streak.

This is still a young team.  This is where you identify new stars. 

I guess.  Our  D-line hasn't shown any pass rush at all in the preseason.  Year 3 I don't want the Jags to survive.  I want them to win games and at some point, not having your star players in is too much to over come.  It is what it is, but to think he will be just fine ain't going to cut it.  And 6 games isn't a few.  That is a lot.

Quote:It isn't that hard to view it as such. Scobee is a veteran with a proven track record. We cant do anything right now with a 6th round pick. Also, kickers DO make or break playoff runs.

You are reaching.

Quote:You are reaching.

A kicker got us in in '96...

Quote:It isn't that hard to view it as such. Scobee is a veteran with a proven track record. We cant do anything right now with a 6th round pick. Also, kickers DO make or break playoff runs.

Logical, well stated.
Success is a journey, not a destination.  Go all out Mighty Jaguars.

Quote:A kicker got us in in '96...

That was their kicker missing, not us.  And Atlanta was 3-13 that year so they weren't going to playoffs regardless.  Your scenario is possible, but not likely.  Also, you aren't considering that fact that Scobee could miss or Meyers makes it.

Quote:Also, you aren't considering that fact that Scobee could miss or Meyers makes it.

Well, of course. However, if we were 9-6 on the cusp of a playoff birth, and we needed a game-winning kick, who do you want to kick it? A rookie (who might be good, who knows), or a proven veteran with ice in his veins ala Scobee? Scobee, please.

Quote:Well, of course. However, if we were 9-6 on the cusp of a playoff birth, and we needed a game-winning kick, who do you want to kick it? A rookie (who might be good, who knows), or a proven veteran with ice in his veins ala Scobee? Scobee, please.
if you're 9-6 on the cusp of a playoff berth behind the leg of your kicker...

you're probably one and done in the playoffs anyway...

and that moment, make or miss builds that young kid toward (hopefully) 11+ years of great kicking for us...

We got bigger issues to worry about than a kicker...

AND isn't this thread about  Marks? Let's stay OT.

Quote:Have AluAlu take on Suh in the FB position.  That would be funny!
If by "funny" you mean that their combined gravity causes them to implode into each other as a supernova then collapse into a black hole, consuming the earth and killing us all, then yeah. Hilarious.

Quote:if you're 9-6 on the cusp of a playoff berth behind the leg of your kicker...

and that moment, make or miss builds that young kid toward (hopefully) 11+ years of great kicking for us...

We got bigger issues to worry about than a kicker...

AND isn't this thread about  Marks? Let's stay OT.

At one point, Josh was also a rookie who we relied on to win a game for us. Wasn't his "Colt Killer" monicker started from his rookie season when he drilled a 50+ yarder and started jawing at the Colts fans as he ran off the field?

Quote:May as well put him on IR. Remember how "weak" Joeckel was coming back from his season-ending injury? Marks could likely be the same and thus not very effective. Keep him out for the season and let him heal. He can work his strength back up during the season while on IR and make it to 100% for the beginning of next training camp/season.
The guy is targeting week 1 and says its still possible, but yet you're willing to hold him out til June next year? Holy.....

Quote:Well, of course. However, if we were 9-6 on the cusp of a playoff birth, and we needed a game-winning kick, who do you want to kick it? A rookie (who might be good, who knows), or a proven veteran with ice in his veins ala Scobee? Scobee, please.

If? I mean as long as we are throwing scenarios out there we could be here all day.

(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015, 02:48 PM by Jaguar Warrior.)

Quote:if you're 9-6 on the cusp of a playoff berth behind the leg of your kicker...

Who said you are 9-6 because you have a good kicker? And how is having a great, proven kicker in that situation not a boon? Are you implying that because a team goes 10-6 due to a game-winning kick that they are suddenly less viable in the playoffs? Literally makes no sense.

If it's true that 75% of the games are won by 7 points or less, then yes.  Kickers do matter.

That being said, I truly believe we've got the exact same guy in Myers that we did in Scobee.  I'm probably a little more confident in Myers, being on the upside rather than downside of his career.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:If it's true that 75% of the games are won by 7 points or less, then yes.  Kickers do matter.

That being said, I truly believe we've got the exact same guy in Myers that we did in Scobee.  I'm probably a little more confident in Myers, being on the upside rather than downside of his career.

I hope that is true, but we haven't even seen the kid kick in the regular season yet, or put in a situation where he has to win the game. I think we gotta give it a season or two to say he is the true successor to Scobee.

Quote:You think week 1 vs. CAR  is impossible?

Panthers have no O-line and No receivers."

No, I said "nearly impossible." Impossible would refer to weeks three and four now that Brady is definitely playing.

I'm actually arguinging in a NFL group on FB that I see the Jaguars beating the Panthers, but of course I'm being slammed on all sides for this opinion, and nobody is agreeing with me. They bring up the Jaguars offense vs the Panthers defense with concrete points that are hard to defend aside from how well Bortles has looked this preseason, etc, but issues like Joekel, WR drops, lack of a cohesive, intact running game and no Julius could easily bite vs a defense that some rank as elite. The Panthers have perhaps the best group of LBs in the entire game, very formidable talent on their DL and a young CB by the name of Josh Norman who is every bit as good as Colvin and McCray.

I've turned to rip the Panthers offense saying they won't get anywhere on the Jaguars defense projecting a 17-14 low-scoring Jaguars win, but I'm seeing claims the Panthers will dominate winning 38-17. At least we agree on the Jaguars score. Their running game hasn't necessarily looked stellar this preseason, but they do have plenty of talent there and will be going up against a defensive line with no Sen'Derrick and a questionable young LEO. Let's face it, our defense is a work in progress. My point, however, is that our CBs are top notch and will make the Panthers one dimensional by taking out their shaky WRs with their stud rookie WR out for the year. In the Panthers game it appeared their #2 WR dropped everything thrown his way, but I'm told that was actually their #3. It might actually be a good game, and in fact I have the Jaguars ranked #23 and the Panthers #24, but of course I'm being told I have the Jaguars "way too high" and the Panthers "way too low." Public perception has this game as an impossible win for the Jaguars. I think they do have a shot. It won't be easy, but it's a better shot than they'll have the following week verses a Dolphins team that so far appears to be a legitimate playoff contender.

I hate to be a negative Nancy, but part of my thinking has to do with how desperate the Jaguars are to win out of the gate. It was pointed out above that five of the following seven games after week two are road games, and the first two of the those road trips really do look impossible. The Jaguars simply have to snag at least one win among these four. I know most here are thinking we go 2-2 at least, and I keep hearing that, but I think that's being a bit overly optimistic. I know it sounds depressing, but a 1-3 start will actually make me happy.

I realize the Jaguars at one point last year looked like they might beat the Dolphins and that the Jaguars are much improved, but so are the Dolphins. The Dolphins appear to be a dominating team on both sides of the ball and especially on defense. I won't say it's impossible either, but a win at home over the Dolphins, who are even more accustomed to the humidity, would pleasantly suprise me. The Jaguars are going to have to bring their A game to get that one done with the winner having the early bid for the Ponce de Leon trophy. If the Jaguars do start 2-0, I'm going to jump through the roof with excitement, but I can only confidently predict 1-1 with a win in either week three or four absolutely shocking the begeezers out of me. I love Bradley's attitude of saying we've now built the team that will own the AFC South, but I need to see more to actually believe that. At least we'll have Julius back for the Colts game.

'02

Quote:May as well put him on IR. Remember how "weak" Joeckel was coming back from his season-ending injury? Marks could likely be the same and thus not very effective. Keep him out for the season and let him heal. He can work his strength back up during the season while on IR and make it to 100% for the beginning of next training camp/season.

You're forgetting... Marks is a mutant.

'02

Quote:I hope that is true, but we haven't even seen the kid kick in the regular season yet, or put in a situation where he has to win the game. I think we gotta give it a season or two to say he is the true successor to Scobee.

From everything I've seen and learned about Myers, I'm really not worried. I know he hasn't had much experience vs a live pass rush, but he's been been absolute gold, no make that platiunum, without one, and the word on Myers is that he's as calm and composed a Kicker as it gets. I have plenty of faith in the kid at this point in time. We'll be fine at K.

'02

Quote:No, I said "nearly impossible." Impossible would refer to weeks three and four now that Brady is definitely playing.

I'm actually arguinging in a NFL group on FB that I see the Jaguars beating the Panthers, but of course I'm being slammed on all sides for this opinion, and nobody is agreeing with me. They bring up the Jaguars offense vs the Panthers defense with concrete points that are hard to defend aside from how well Bortles has looked this preseason, etc, but issues like Joekel, WR drops, lack of a cohesive, intact running game and no Julius could easily bite vs a defense that some rank as elite. The Panthers have perhaps the best group of LBs in the entire game, very formidable talent on their DL and a young CB by the name of Josh Norman who is every bit as good as Colvin and McCray.

I've turned to rip the Panthers offense saying they won't get anywhere on the Jaguars defense projecting a 17-14 low-scoring Jaguars win, but I'm seeing claims the Panthers will dominate winning 38-17. At least we agree on the Jaguars score. Their running game hasn't necessarily looked stellar this preseason, but they do have plenty of talent there and will be going up against a defensive line with no Sen'Derrick and a questionable young LEO. Let's face it, our defense is a work in progress. My point, however, is that our CBs are top notch and will make the Panthers one dimensional by taking out their shaky WRs with their stud rookie WR out for the year. In the Panthers game it appeared their #2 WR dropped everything thrown his way, but I'm told that was actually their #3. It might actually be a good game, and in fact I have the Jaguars ranked #23 and the Panthers #24, but of course I'm being told I have the Jaguars "way too high" and the Panthers "way too low." Public perception has this game as an impossible win for the Jaguars. I think they do have a shot. It won't be easy, but it's a better shot than they'll have the following week verses a Dolphins team that so far appears to be a legitimate playoff contender.

I hate to be a negative Nancy, but part of my thinking has to do with how desperate the Jaguars are to win out of the gate. It was pointed out above that five of the following seven games after week two are road games, and the first two of the those road trips really do look impossible. The Jaguars simply have to snag at least one win among these four. I know most here are thinking we go 2-2 at least, and I keep hearing that, but I think that's being a bit overly optimistic. I know it sounds depressing, but a 1-3 start will actually make me happy.

I realize the Jaguars at one point last year looked like they might beat the Dolphins and that the Jaguars are much improved, but so are the Dolphins. The Dolphins appear to be a dominating team on both sides of the ball and especially on defense. I won't say it's impossible either, but a win at home over the Dolphins, who are even more accustomed to the humidity, would pleasantly suprise me. The Jaguars are going to have to bring their A game to get that one done with the winner having the early bid for the Ponce de Leon trophy. If the Jaguars do start 2-0, I'm going to jump through the roof with excitement, but I can only confidently predict 1-1 with a win in either week three or four absolutely shocking the begeezers out of me. I love Bradley's attitude of saying we've now built the team that will own the AFC South, but I need to see more to actually believe that. At least we'll have Julius back for the Colts game.

I'm encouraged by what I've seen as well especially from Bortles elevating the offense, but Panthers D is a tough way to start. We have a rookie RB, our biggest free agent acquisition hurt, questions at safety (still), a less than stellar LT and a d-line who up to this point can't get any pressure on the QB. I could see us winning close or Panthers blowing us out due to mistakes and big plays. I really hope I'm wrong, but like you, 1-3 seems more likely than 2-2. We can say all we want "next man up", but losing key players will hurt you on Sunday.

I do see the Jaguars having a strong running game this year once they get it all together, but right now it looks like a work in progress. Much has to happen in the way of players jelling before we realistically see them pounding out  yards on the ground. Early on it's all about the passing game and Oley's superb playcalling.

'02