Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Dear Coach Bradley ...

(This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 02:46 PM by flapeds.)

Weaver admitted after he sold the Jags that it was a huge mistake to fire Coughlin. He gave in to the fans. We had become used to being in the playoffs. And when that did not happen as often as we liked a lot of people were calling for Coughlin's head. Thus, a 2 and 14 team. And here we are calling for another coach's head
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=2><A class=SmlLinks id=ctlPanelBar_ctlIFCode__ctl8_hypIFCodeLink onclick="if_IFCode('<!--coloro:--><!--/coloro-->','<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--></FONT><FONT color=#ffffff>
;
</P></FONT>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Weaver admitted after he sold the Jags that it was a huge mistake to fire Coughlin. He gave in to the fans. We had become used to being in the playoffs. And when that did not happen as often as we liked a lot of people were calling for Coughlin's head. Thus, a 2 and 14 team. And here we are calling for another coach's head

I disagree.  Coughlin was screwing up and hung himself. He was not the same coach at the time as the one he became after a mutiny in NY almost had him canned again. 

Quote:I disagree.  Coughlin was screwing up and hung himself. He was not the same coach at the time as the one he became after a mutiny in in NY almost had him canned again. 
http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-1/Wa...52300b6ac3

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry...8/34107353

While Weaver doesn't admit to giving in to the fans (and I'll admit I've never seen that in print), he does state in the CBS article that the reason he fired Coughlin was that he felt that the team needed new ideas and new approaches. He also states in the Oehser interview that he fired Coughlin outright rather than asking him to step down as GM because he didn't think Coughlin's pride would allow for it.

Regardless, I do agree that Coughlin's coaching style wore very thin once his young team became a veteran one. His performance as offensive coordinator wore down over time (from 6th in scoring in 1999 to 21st in 2002--21st during the Bobby Petrino year of 2001), and most importantly, his mismanagement of the salary cap left the team unable to add the talent it needed to make up the difference. He buried himself, yeah.

The best argument against Weaver caving to the fans is the 2001 offseason. Jacksonville went full-on nuts for Spurrier, but Weaver held true to his coach even after two bad seasons rather than making a swing at the UF coach. If Weaver were going to cave to the fans, surely Spurrier would have been his play instead of Del Rio, a one-year coordinator and the team's sixth choice (if I recall correctly at the time).

Quote:Weaver admitted after he sold the Jags that it was a huge mistake to fire Coughlin. He gave in to the fans. We had become used to being in the playoffs. And when that did not happen as often as we liked a lot of people were calling for Coughlin's head. Thus, a 2 and 14 team. And here we are calling for another coach's head

Weaver should have fired him after the 2001 season. 

Quote:If Weaver were going to cave to the fans, surely Spurrier would have been his play instead of Del Rio, a one-year coordinator and the team's sixth choice (if I recall correctly at the time).

Not sure about sixth choice. From what I recall, they pursued Ferentz the heaviest and Del Rio was second.

Quote:Not sure about sixth choice. From what I recall, they pursued Ferentz the heaviest and Del Rio was second.
I can't find any articles going back that far, unfortunately. I know that Weaver interviewed Denny Green, but I believe that was more of a Rooney Rule interview than genuine interest. I definitely remember Ferentz being the guy Weaver really wanted, but for some reason, I seem to recall several more candidates refusing to interview before Del Rio was offered the job. It was 12 years ago, though, so who knows if I'm actually correct in that.

You know what the craziest thing about the whole Coughlin saga is (at least in my opinion)? That Coughlin being fired was probably the best thing for his career. I feel like it showed him that he was going to have to find a way to stay true to his beliefs but change his approach with his players. While I wish that the success that he has had in New York was experienced here, I don't know if it would be possible if he hadn't been fired.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:I can't find any articles going back that far, unfortunately. I know that Weaver interviewed Denny Green, but I believe that was more of a Rooney Rule interview than genuine interest. I definitely remember Ferentz being the guy Weaver really wanted, but for some reason, I seem to recall several more candidates refusing to interview before Del Rio was offered the job. It was 12 years ago, though, so who knows if I'm actually correct in that.

This article highlights the names of the coaches who were in the mix.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2003-01-17/sports/0301170310_1_del-rio-wayne-weaver-head-coach'>http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2003-01-17/sports/0301170310_1_del-rio-wayne-weaver-head-coach</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2015, 09:46 AM by mahtay.)

Dear Coach Bradley,

Train Marcedes in jumping, on the kind of equiptment they have for basketball, That thing they use to improve jump.

Get Marcedes Lewis to practice catching the ball over his head, and falling with his legs straight.

Start with a 75 degree angle of a mat against something, maybe a blocking sled.

He'll catch the ball over his head and tuck-in the ball while falling against the 75degree angled mat.

Right side, then left side, backward, forward.

Then decrease the angle over time (days?), 60degrees, 45, and so on to ground level.(no mat)

Ending with him standing on a Milk Crate, catching the ball over his head, tucking it in while falling, with his legs straight, against the ground.

That way, Bortles can over throw to Marcedes- because he IS tall- and him able to jump to catch it over his head and tuck and fall down. Also ideally in the endzone, far corners, of course for those awesome plays that will  use Marcedes size and speed and people will say, "oh THAT is why...", And maybe Brumo's will run an ad campaign, because "who would want a mercedes when they can get a MArcedes! " ha ha.

Quote:Beyond a certain floor, I don't think it's as much about wins and losses this year as it is about being competitive to the end of the game. I could see Bradley surviving 6-10, maybe worse, if the team is losing those games by a few points and staying in it for all four quarters. Likewise, I could see him being let go at 7-9 if we get blown out eight times (though that's a less likely scenario). Ownership slapping a set "win this many games or else" ultimatum on a coach backfires pretty easily.
Maybe.  But if you weren't performing in your job after a set amount of time, don't you think your boss will say "better do this, or you're going to be fired?"  Accountability is being lost here if we continue to look the same since he started.  I do believe Bortles and Thomas will make this team win atleast 6 games this year alone; however, I don't think that's enough to keep his job.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Quote:[Image: headset.gif]

That will always be Mularkey's best moment as Jaguars head coach

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I would be very happy if Gus turns out to be anywhere near the HC that Coughlin was for his best years here and for his best years in NY. Very happy indeed.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Dear Coach Bradley:

Use Henne as intended. (I dont want to be seen as a fan that is fickle with my emotions/support, i.e. Yay Gabbert!- um, Yay Henne!- um Yay Bortles!- wait, I am not shallow, really.)

Bortles for the battle plays, young plays, trick plays, srcamble- 2 seconds in the pocket-running sideways, score!, kind of plays.

and Henne for: "this is professional football in the NFL", march down the field, well executed plays, make-it-look-easy-maybe-I-could-do-it, plays.

This depends on having a good OL I understand, but I see Henne's arm is good and straight, sharp...professional.

After all, " It takes more grace than I can tell to play the second fiddle well", just from a overall sports influence point of view- to actually see that in action in real life in professional football is sobering if not down right honorable.

Quote:Dear Coach Bradley,

Train Marcedes in jumping, on the kind of equiptment they have for basketball, That thing they use to improve jump.

Get Marcedes Lewis to practice catching the ball over his head, and falling with his legs straight.

Start with a 75 degree angle of a mat against something, maybe a blocking sled.

He'll catch the ball over his head and tuck-in the ball while falling against the 75degree angled mat.

Right side, then left side, backward, forward.

Then decrease the angle over time (days?), 60degrees, 45, and so on to ground level.(no mat)

Ending with him standing on a Milk Crate, catching the ball over his head, tucking it in while falling, with his legs straight, against the ground.

That way, Bortles can over throw to Marcedes- because he IS tall- and him able to jump to catch it over his head and tuck and fall down. Also ideally in the endzone, far corners, of course for those awesome plays that will  use Marcedes size and speed and people will say, "oh THAT is why...", And maybe Brumo's will run an ad campaign, because "who would want a mercedes when they can get a MArcedes! " ha ha.

Quote:Dear Coach Bradley:

Use Henne as intended. (I dont want to be seen as a fan that is fickle with my emotions/support, i.e. Yay Gabbert!- um, Yay Henne!- um Yay Bortles!- wait, I am not shallow, really.)

Bortles for the battle plays, young plays, trick plays, srcamble- 2 seconds in the pocket-running sideways, score!, kind of plays.

and Henne for: "this is professional football in the NFL", march down the field, well executed plays, make-it-look-easy-maybe-I-could-do-it, plays.

This depends on having a good OL I understand, but I see Henne's arm is good and straight, sharp...professional.

After all, " It takes more grace than I can tell to play the second fiddle well", just from a overall sports influence point of view- to actually see that in action in real life in professional football is sobering if not down right honorable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soXMCkoWfQo

Quote:[Image: headset.gif]
Why did he do the pump fake prior to throwing it down?  Was it for effect, or did he start to regret his choice only to say F it?

Quote:Why did he do the pump fake prior to throwing it down?  Was it for effect, or did he start to regret his choice only to say F it?

I think he wanted a little extra velocity. That extra hop step really got him there.

The same trick he taught Blaine Gabbert

Dear Gus Bradley,

I am a patient man. I didn't fire Felix Magath until he went 4-16 relegating my Fulham team from the Premier League to the Championship league. I didn't fire Martin Jol for 6 months since scoring only 10 points in 13 games. I didn't fire his replacement, Rene Meulensteen, until he had proven himself after 17 games. Our latest coach has the comfort of knowing that we've only had 4 coaches in 14 months of my ownership. Hope you have a good season!

Regards...............Shad Khan 

Quote:Dear Gus Bradley,

I am a patient man. I didn't fire Felix Magath until he went 4-16 relegating my Fulham team from the Premier League to the Championship league. I didn't fire Martin Jol for 6 months since scoring only 10 points in 13 games. I didn't fire his replacement, Rene Meulensteen, until he had proven himself after 17 games. Our latest coach has the comfort of knowing that we've only had 4 coaches in 14 months of my ownership. Hope you have a good season!

Regards...............Shad Khan 
:thumbsup:

The irony of those two situations has crossed my mind. Khan has stood firmly behind Caldwell and Bradley with little to show for it, yet he fires his soccer coaches seemingly at the drop of a hat. It's curious, and it makes you wonder how patient he really is.

Quote: :thumbsup:

The irony of those two situations has crossed my mind. Khan has stood firmly behind Caldwell and Bradley with little to show for it, yet he fires his soccer coaches seemingly at the drop of a hat. It's curious, and it makes you wonder how patient he really is.

The NFL doesn't have relegation   --  Rendering the two situations worlds apart.