Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Right to Work gaining momentum

Quote:Thanks for responding Eric, FSG, and lastonealive. That's 1 conservative (correct me if I'm wrong JIB), 2 libertarians and an Australian. Can we hear more across the political spectrum?

I laughed (a bit too hard) at "and an Australian". Thank you for that. 

I won't help your spread on the spectrum (libertarian), but I, too, oppose forced union participation in any capacity.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Perk, I'm not sure which way you lean politically, but thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty much on the line between conservative and libertarian.  If I was forced to pick one, I suppose I would go libertarian.

Quote:I laughed (a bit too hard) at "and an Australian". Thank you for that.

I won't help your spread on the spectrum (libertarian), but I, too, oppose forced union participation in any capacity.

Apologies to lastonealive! Let me know your political leanings. It felt wrong to reference you as a foreigner; I chose the country I thought you resided in.

FTW, it's quite alright sir! To be clear, my question is about how you feel about police/firefighter unions and not necessarily forced participation. However, if this is the sole reason for your opposition, pardon my misinterpretation.

Quote:I never hear police and firefighter unions come up in the general discussion of unions. I don't think being opposed to those unions means you're opposed to those professions. I hear about teacher unions and I guess trade/industry (as you put it) unions in these discussions.

Perk, I'm not sure which way you lean politically, but thanks for the reply.

Pirk, thanks for the reply.

I'm constitutional conservative, and socially libertarian.  Registered independent, and will always be.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Right to work makes sense if you are in a job and the Union is making a push to unionize the workforce. You should not be forced to join.

If you apply for a job that is already bargained through the Union, you already have the right to say no. You don't accept the offer of employment.

Quote:Right to work makes sense if you are in a job and the Union is making a push to unionize the workforce. You should not be forced to join.

If you apply for a job that is already bargained through the Union, you already have the right to say no. You don't accept the offer of employment.

Some places are closed shop, you must join to be employed.  That's not a "choice" if you're in a place where there isn't much work to find.

Those employees have a right to work, and should not be denied by refusing to sign a card.

Quote:Some places are closed shop, you must join to be employed. That's not a "choice" if you're in a place where there isn't much work to find.

Those employees have a right to work, and should not be denied by refusing to sign a card.

Sorry but if the previous workers voted in a bargaining unit. Then a Union man you should be if you want the job.

Unions can be dissolved if the employees decide it doesn't work for them.

Quote:Thanks for responding Eric, FSG, and lastonealive. That's 1 conservative (correct me if I'm wrong JIB), 2 libertarians and an Australian. Can we hear more across the political spectrum?
I oppose public sector unions.  I also support right to work.  Being forced to join a club and pay dues in extortion.  

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:Apologies to lastonealive! Let me know your political leanings. It felt wrong to reference you as a foreigner; I chose the country I thought you resided in.

FTW, it's quite alright sir! To be clear, my question is about how you feel about police/firefighter unions and not necessarily forced participation. However, if this is the sole reason for your opposition, pardon my misinterpretation.

Sorry about that, I suppose I completely neglected to answer your question. I'm fine with public sector (and all other) unions as long as there are no compulsory dues/participation. In fact, I'm 100% for giving people the ability to decide for themselves in almost (maybe all? can't actually think of anything off the top of my head where I go against this) every major and minor political issue.

Quote:I oppose public sector unions. I also support right to work. Being forced to join a club and pay dues in extortion.

Conservative, liberal, libertarian, conservatarian?

Quote:Right to work makes sense if you are in a job and the Union is making a push to unionize the workforce. You should not be forced to join.

Or you accept the job and refuse to join the union.  Employment is between an employer and the employee.  A union contract is an agreement between an employer and the union.  Union membership is not part of the job description and should not be a condition of employment.  That's what right to work is all about.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017, 02:52 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:You hate firefighters too? Don't think they deserve a decent pay?
No one said that

If an area wants a public paid emergency service then that county or city should allocate funds for it and it's distributed by their respective leaders as they see fit. Once the work is done why should I as a taxpayer continue to support them and the ones who replaced them? Why is it that mostly only government jobs offer penchants? Because they just tax the private sector more when they run out of money.

Run government jobs all of them like the private sector. Do a job get paid, retire it's on you.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:Conservative, liberal, libertarian, conservatarian?
Libertarian

Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

Quote:Or you accept the job and refuse to join the union. Employment is between an employer and the employee. A union contract is an agreement between an employer and the union. Union membership is not part of the job description and should not be a condition of employment. That's what right to work is all about.

Depends on what the signed contract says.

Quote:Depends on what the signed contract says.

Well in my opinion, any private (or public for that matter) business that signs a contract with a union making union membership a requirement for employment just signed control of their business over to the union.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Well in my opinion, any private (or public for that matter) business that signs a contract with a union making union membership a requirement for employment just signed control of their business over to the union.

That's what bargaining is for.

My favorite was when we used outside contractors for work, we paid the contractor a fee and still paid the skilled trades the hours to stay at home!

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2017, 04:42 PM by pirkster.)

Quote:Sorry but if the previous workers voted in a bargaining unit. Then a Union man you should be if you want the job.

Unions can be dissolved if the employees decide it doesn't work for them.

Nope, unions should not have the right to dictate hires (which by being close shop kinda does.)

If you are qualified and are desired by the company, the union should have zero say and not require a card to be signed.  That person has a right to work for that company.

No wonder you lefties are so backwards.

It's all about control and power, and not what's best for everyone.

Quote:Nope, unions should not have the right to dictate hires (which by being close shop kinda does.)

If you are qualified and are desired by the company, the union should have zero say and not require a card to be signed. That person has a right to work for that company.

No wonder you lefties are so backwards.

It's all about control and power, and not what's best for everyone.

UAW 933 is actually involved in the interview process. You don't get an offer unless they allow it.

Not a fan of Unions as they have caused me way to much heartache. But if a company is dumb enough to sign a contract with a bargaining unit, I am not going to get in their way!

So in other words, unions are bad for business.

Quote:So in other words, unions are bad for business.
They didn't used to be, but today, absolutely.

The term "Right To Work" speaks for itself.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.