Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Trump's EPA pick took hands-off approach to environmental crisis that shook Oklahoma

Quote:1989). At least two factors reduce the impact of HCl, chlorine appears to be preferentially released during low-levels of volcanic activity and thus may be limited to the troposphere, where it can be scrubbed by rain. Hydrogen chloride may also condense in the rising volcanic plume, again to be scrubbed out by rain or ice. Lack of HCl in ice cores with high amounts of H2SO4 (from large eruptions) may indicate ambient stratospheric conditions are extremely efficient at removing HCl. Thus, most HCl never has the opportunity to react with ozone. No increase in stratospheric chlorine was observed during the 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo.

Volcanoes are a source of HCl, but most HCl comes from the oceans (technically from a chemical reaction which converts oceanic NaCl to HCl in the atmosphere).

"most HCl never has the opportunity to react with ozone"         

Note it says "most" not "all." HCl levels are ten times CFC levels, so if  only10% of the HCl has the opportunity to release free chlorine (or react directly, does HCl do that or was the passage technically incorrect?) then we're talking about an equal effect, 20% would be double the effect. There was no number given, just the vague word "most, " so either the science is not exact on this or the author ignored the science.

Note the word "may" was used several times, indicating the whole passage was speculation, not science.

My original comment was that you were wrong about CFCs reacting with ozone. Your very own chemistry post proved I was right. You also made a ridiculous comment about chlorine in the atmosphere killing life on Earth. If you are an example of the quality of scientists these days, then science is in sad shape.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Volcanoes are a source of HCl, but most HCl comes from the oceans (technically from a chemical reaction which converts oceanic NaCl to HCl in the atmosphere).

"most HCl never has the opportunity to react with ozone"

Note it says "most" not "all." HCl levels are ten times CFC levels, so if only10% of the HCl has the opportunity to release free chlorine (or react directly, does HCl do that or was the passage technically incorrect?) then we're talking about an equal effect, 20% would be double the effect. There was no number given, just the vague word "most, " so either the science is not exact on this or the author ignored the science.

Note the word "may" was used several times, indicating the whole passage was speculation, not science.

My original comment was that you were wrong about CFCs reacting with ozone. Your very own chemistry post proved I was right. You also made a ridiculous comment about chlorine in the atmosphere killing life on Earth. If you are an example of the quality of scientists these days, then science is in sad shape.

Provide a source on the atmospheric concentrations of HCL vs CFCs.

Quote:Provide a source on the atmospheric concentrations of HCL vs CFCs.

Google it yourself. It took me a while and I didn't save the links.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Lol... the pseudo "intellectual" and pseudo "science here is pure clown show.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Google it yourself. It took me a while and I didn't save the links.

HCl is primarily found in the troposphere, its source is ocean salt sprays. That is correct, but its presence in the Chlorine cycle is ephemeral. HCl readily dissolves in the presence of water vapor, therefore there are no significant quantities of HCl in the statrosphere, the area where Ozone formation takes place.

2. THE CHLORINE CYCLE

2.1) What are the sources of chlorine in the troposphere?

Let us divide the chlorine-containing compounds found in the

atmosphere into two groups, "organic chlorine" and "inorganic

chlorine". The most important inorganic chlorine compound in the

troposphere is hydrogen chloride, HCl. Its principal source is

acidification of salt spray - reaction of atmospheric sulfuric and

nitric acids with chloride ions in aerosols. At sea level, this

leads to an HCl mixing ratio of 0.05 - 0.45 ppbv, depending strongly

upon location (e.g. smaller values over land.) However, HCl dissolves

very readily in water (giving hydrochloric acid), and condensation of

water vapor efficiently removes HCl from the _upper_ troposphere.

Measurements show that the HCl mixing ratio is less than 0.1 ppbv at

elevations above 7 km, and less than 0.04 ppbv at 13.7 km.

[Vierkorn-Rudolf et al.] [Harris et al.]

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://zebu.uoregon.edu/text/ozone'>http://zebu.uoregon.edu/text/ozone</a>

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:HCl is primarily found in the troposphere, its source is ocean salt sprays. That is correct, but its presence in the Chlorine cycle is ephemeral. HCl readily dissolves in the presence of water vapor, therefore there are no significant quantities of HCl in the statrosphere, the area where Ozone formation takes place.

2. THE CHLORINE CYCLE

2.1) What are the sources of chlorine in the troposphere?

Let us divide the chlorine-containing compounds found in the

atmosphere into two groups, "organic chlorine" and "inorganic

chlorine". The most important inorganic chlorine compound in the

troposphere is hydrogen chloride, HCl. Its principal source is

acidification of salt spray - reaction of atmospheric sulfuric and

nitric acids with chloride ions in aerosols. At sea level, this

leads to an HCl mixing ratio of 0.05 - 0.45 ppbv, depending strongly

upon location (e.g. smaller values over land.) However, HCl dissolves

very readily in water (giving hydrochloric acid), and condensation of

water vapor efficiently removes HCl from the _upper_ troposphere.

Measurements show that the HCl mixing ratio is less than 0.1 ppbv at

elevations above 7 km, and less than 0.04 ppbv at 13.7 km.

[Vierkorn-Rudolf et al.] [Harris et al.]

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://zebu.uoregon.edu/text/ozone'>http://zebu.uoregon.edu/text/ozone</a>

Nice link. I don't disagree with what it says, in fact it agrees with what I said.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2017, 02:55 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:Nice link. I don't disagree with what it says, in fact it agrees with what I said.

Not really. You used HCl as a contributor to stratospheric ozone destruction. It's not. It doesn't have anywhere near the chemical halflife of CFCs. And it is typically dissociated into H+ and Cl- ions in the troposphere by water vapor or rained out before it reaches the Stratosphere. So no the link does not agree with you.