Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is the SEC overrated?

Quote:like arkansas vs michigan, for example? i just personally think michigan would get killed.

You can't just look at this year. A couple years ago, Michigan took a top level SEC team to the final seconds. In 2008, Michigan beat Tim Tebow's Florida team. If you think the middle/bottom feeders in the SEC beat Michigan those years then you are an idiot.

Again:

Top of the SEC > Top of Big 10 > Middle of SEC > Middle of Big 10 > Bottom of SEC > Bottom of Big 10

Using isolated instances / teams is stupid because things are so fluid. I mean, Indiana is 1-4 in the Big Ten with losses to middle-tier Iowa, Michigan, and Maryland. Missouri is 4-1 in the SEC. Missouri lost to Indiana at home. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-04-2014, 08:22 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:teams like those would absolutely trash teams like michigan and other middle of the road big 10 schools.

Again, Missouri is 4-1 in the SEC with wins over some of those schools. Missouri lost to Indiana. Indiana has:

lost to Maryland by 22.

lost to Iowa by 16.

lost to Michigan by 24.

To say teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee would "absolutely thrash" Maryland, Iowa, and Michigan just makes you sound like a blowhard. That sucks, because you've been gaining credibility back after that Cousins debacle. Don't lose it.

Quote:Again, Missouri is 4-1 in the SEC with wins over some of those schools. Missouri lost to Indiana. Indiana has:

lost to Maryland by 22.

lost to Iowa by 16.

lost to Michigan by 24.

To say teams like Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Tennessee would "absolutely thrash" Maryland, Iowa, and Michigan just makes you sound like a blowhard. That sucks, because you've been gaining credibility back after that Cousins debacle. Don't lose it.

This is a perfect example of SEC bias: completely ignoring the obvious fact that Missouri's loss was to a lousy team that had no business winning. If the SEC East favorite can't even beat Indiana of all teams, why should anybody think the Big Ten can't beat the SEC? I bet if Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida, TAMU, or Arkansas played against Ohio State, they would get thrashed as bad as Maryland, Rutgers, and Illinois did. That is half of the SEC.

Quote:I would give Arkansas a reasonable chance of winning the Big10 West this year.  Wisconsin and Nebraska could be tough but I'd be suprised if they didnt finish at least 2nd or 3rd.  I know you can play the whole they beat this team that just beat that team all day long.  Buuuuut... they did beat Northern Iowa by 40 points this year.  The same Northern Iowa that is 3-0 against the Big10 the past two seasons.

Exactly how would you expect the Razorbacks to even look competitive against the Cornhuskers, who have the same record as Oregon and a Heisman Trophy candidate?

Quote:No, because I've watched FSU play this year. Last year they probably would have been fine, but this year they aren't nearly as good. Their defense is soft and they aren't as dynamic on offense. They lost too many players to the pros and Jameis can't make up for all that lost talent.
I've got news for you, no team stands out this year as elite, including those SEC teams.so to get on here and say FSU couldn't make it through that division is a huge assumption. We get it, your an SEC homer, so obviously you dont deal in reality. FSU is unconquered and until someone does beat them I wouldn't be making any predictions of someone beating them because you will just be eating crow later. I haven't seen one SEC team this year that looks dominant.

Quote:Again, Missouri is 4-1 in the SEC with wins over some of those schools. Missouri lost to Indiana. Indiana has:

lost to Maryland by 22.

lost to Iowa by 16.

lost to Michigan by 24.

Missouri is probably going to win the SEC East...and lost to Indiana

Quote:I've got news for you, no team stands out this year as elite, including those SEC teams.so to get on here and say FSU couldn't make it through that division is a huge assumption. We get it, your an SEC homer, so obviously you dont deal in reality. FSU is unconquered and until someone does beat them I wouldn't be making any predictions of someone beating them because you will just be eating crow later. I haven't seen one SEC team this year that looks dominant.

I'm actually not an SEC homer but those of your ilk who dont bow down to FSU continue to say that.  I know good football....and Florida State doesn't have a schedule close to Miss St.  If they had to go through that schedule, they would lose.  Its an opinion....got it?

lost to Maryland by 22.

lost to Iowa by 16.

lost to Michigan by 24.

Cant we say the same thing about Ohio State?  The possible winner of the B1G lost to freaking Va Tech who is getting throttled by everyone this year.....and Va Tech dominated that game.

Quote:Cant we say the same thing about Ohio State?  The possible winner of the B1G lost to freaking Va Tech who is getting throttled by everyone this year.....and Va Tech dominated that game.

Exactly. Which is why I said this:

"Using isolated instances / teams is stupid because things are so fluid. I mean, Indiana is 1-4 in the Big Ten with losses to middle-tier Iowa, Michigan, and Maryland. Missouri is 4-1 in the SEC. Missouri lost to Indiana at home."

You do realize that all I'm doing is defending the general hierarchy that you, for the most part, agreed with? The SEC blowhard is saying that bottom tier SEC teams would "absolutely thrash" middle tier Big Ten teams. That's being a little too SECrazy. I do think that every level is able of competing up a level, but not be the favorites to win or "absolutely thrash".

Quote:Exactly. Which is why I said this:

"Using isolated instances / teams is stupid because things are so fluid. I mean, Indiana is 1-4 in the Big Ten with losses to middle-tier Iowa, Michigan, and Maryland. Missouri is 4-1 in the SEC. Missouri lost to Indiana at home."

You do realize that all I'm doing is defending the general hierarchy that you, for the most part, agreed with? The SEC blowhard is saying that bottom tier SEC teams would "absolutely thrash" middle tier Big Ten teams. That's being a little too SECrazy. I do think that every level is able of competing up a level, but not be the favorites to win or "absolutely thrash".

I agree with what you said for the bigger point....and thought your hierarchy didnt show it, I think the bottom tier teams would give the middle tier teams a run for their money (that may have been assumed).

in the end, there are going to be more people that are mad this year for not making the final four than you ever had for the final 2....it will push this to an 8 team playoff sooner than later, and I'm ok with that.

Quote:And Arkansas is roughly the equivalent to TT in the standings in the respective conference and Arkansas molly-whopped them.
Arkansas beat TT 59-28......Next???

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2014, 09:53 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Yes, I think the bottom SEC teams would give the middle Big Ten teams a run for their money. That's what I mean by teams could all "play up" a level.

Regarding the playoffs, I agree. I'll make a new thread.

Quote:Arkansas beat TT 59-28......Next???
That's what I said....Thanks for reiterating?

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:That's what I said....Thanks for reiterating?

Lol, I scratched my head with that one too. A proud Arkansas fan from the Matt Jones era of Jags football??

Quote:Lol, I scratched my head with that one too. A proud Arkansas fan from the Matt Jones era of Jags football??

Warjag is a barner.

Quote:I'm actually not an SEC homer but those of your ilk who dont bow down to FSU continue to say that. I know good football....and Florida State doesn't have a schedule close to Miss St. If they had to go through that schedule, they would lose. Its an opinion....got it?
You mean like current streak of 24 straight wins? To say FSU isn't playing good football is irrational. I personally see miss st losing two games before the end of the year. That performance against Arkansas was very telling of how strong that team is. But yea your entitled to an opinion sure. Just doesn't seem logical. FSU has now beaten 4 top 25 teams this year, so yea they have played a good schedule this year.

Quote:You mean like current streak of 24 straight wins? To say FSU isn't playing good football is irrational. I personally see miss st losing two games before the end of the year. That performance against Arkansas was very telling of how strong that team is. But yea your entitled to an opinion sure. Just doesn't seem logical. FSU has now beaten 4 top 25 teams this year, so yea they have played a good schedule this year.

Are you missing the point?  Have you seen the opponents week after week that they have to play and you actually think FSU is anywhere close to that schedule?  If FSU was in the SEC West and made it out unscathed, I would be shocked.  I don't see how that doesn't seem logical.  Lets not act like they've beat the doors off Notre Dame and Louisville. 

Quote:You mean like current streak of 24 straight wins? To say FSU isn't playing good football is irrational. I personally see miss st losing two games before the end of the year. That performance against Arkansas was very telling of how strong that team is. But yea your entitled to an opinion sure. Just doesn't seem logical. FSU has now beaten 4 top 25 teams this year, so yea they have played a good schedule this year.

Nobody said FSU is playing bad football. The point is they play good football against teams in a weak conference. Their only tough opponent so far was Notre Dame. So how does anybody know FSU, which struggled against the Irish and almost lost that game, is better than any other team with a perfect record?

Quote:Are you missing the point?  Have you seen the opponents week after week that they have to play and you actually think FSU is anywhere close to that schedule?  If FSU was in the SEC West and made it out unscathed, I would be shocked.  I don't see how that doesn't seem logical.  Lets not act like they've beat the doors off Notre Dame and Louisville. 

It is anybody's guess whether FSU would lose to a couple SEC West teams. Maybe the Seminoles could beat all of them. But if that happened, all of the games would be like the ND one.

Quote:Nobody said FSU is playing bad football. The point is they play good football against teams in a weak conference. Their only tough opponent so far was Notre Dame. So how does anybody know FSU, which struggled against the Irish and almost lost that game, is better than any other team with a perfect record?

I finally agree with you!  This scares me.