Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
I am So Tired of these Articles!

Quote:Is Fernandina a part of Duval county? If so, I'm sure the omni plantation at Amelia island brings in alot of revenue via the bed tax. My family and I visited Amelia island in early May, and the entire plantation was packed.

My point is that there are probably alot more visitors to the Jacksonville area than one might think.

No.

Fernandina and Amelia Island are in Nassau County. 

Still, Jacksonville is loaded with hotels, and none of the major chains are struggling for business. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Bad Mexican food. Never heard of it. I don't think such a thing exists.

Well, I just finished fixing my dinner for tonight.  A fried egg over medium, re-fried pinto beans, fried potatoes with onion and garlic, smother it with some cheese, lettuce, fresh-cut onion and some tomatoes.  I'll have any left-overs for breakfast.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Well, I just finished fixing my dinner for tonight.  A fried egg over medium, re-fried pinto beans, fried potatoes with onion and garlic, smother it with some cheese, lettuce, fresh-cut onion and some tomatoes.  I'll have any left-overs for breakfast.

How do you make your refried beans?   I love the refried beans and rice they serve at Mexican restaurants, so I got a can of refried beans at the grocery store, and they were extremely bland.   I assume they put all kinds of good-tasting, not so healthy stuff in the beans at for example La Nopalera.   So, how do you prepare your refried beans and not have them come out bland?  

Quote:How do you make your refried beans?   I love the refried beans and rice they serve at Mexican restaurants, so I got a can of refried beans at the grocery store, and they were extremely bland.   I assume they put all kinds of good-tasting, not so healthy stuff in the beans at for example La Nopalera.   So, how do you prepare your refried beans and not have them come out bland?  

I wont go into too many details because I've hijacked this thread enough.  In a nutshell, cook pinto beans in a crockpot over night.  DO NOT add salt until the beans are fully cooked.  Heat up some kind of FAT in a pan (Crisco will work, but not as well).  Drop the beans into there WITHOUT the juice that they were cooked in.  Reduce the heat and mash them as they fry.  Add salt to taste.

Edit:  I must add that bacon fat/grease gives the beans a little bit of a smokey flavor which is always good.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:The article dismisses the facts that the team is actually picking up $1.8 million, and the remaining money is being used from savings they've had with the bigger construction project. 

Since this is a league mandate to upgrade the wifi in NFL stadiums, I wonder how many teams are doing exactly what the Jaguars are here, especially with multipurpose, publicly owned facilities like EverBank?  Why is this news because it's the Jaguars?
Yes I agree this was a agenda article and when I posted that in their comments he deleted it.Oh well stupid people are just looking for something to say negative about the Jags. They are running out of things...............quick!

Quote:The article also fails to mention that this money is coming from bed taxes generated by local hotels, and is not coming out of the pockets of local taxpayers.
I put that in comments to. It was deleted.

Quote:According to this article, the part in bold in your quoted comment isn't entirely true.  The tax payers (myself included) are in fact paying part of the tab (something that I agree with).  According to the article, a portion is being paid by the City of Jacksonville, a portion is being paid by The Jaguars and the remaining cost is being paid for by savings on the current construction project.

Either way, it really doesn't matter.  As a resident of Jacksonville, I have no problem using city funds to pay for upgrades to a city owned facility, especially when that facility makes money that is put back into the city treasury.

The "facts" as presented by Florio help push a subject he's long been big on - the fact that taxpayers are paying for stadia that help the bottom line of billionaires.

While he has a point, the full issue will never be presented in the format that PFT offers - i.e., the information you've provided won't be given in the "hit 'em and move on" type of "articles" that make up PFT.

If you've read PFT for more than two days you must know that it's a valid source of news in a very limited way. Outside of those limits it's just sigh and move on. And never read the comments - it's too depressing to know that many of those people probably vote.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Articles such as this should'nt be given the attention that it has. Simply allow the uninformed to be uninformed...

If I'm not mistaken the WI-FI revenue is coming from The Stadium Revenues...

If I'm correct, PFT is uninformed and incorrect...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Can you all please stay on topic. We're talking about Mexican food here. Big Grin

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

In two years it will all go away! The same idiots that are bashing the Jags will be jumping on the ban wagon with there I told you so ego inflating bull crap.  As a Jag fan I don't listen to them now and don't need their support later. 

Quote:Can you all please stay on topic. We're talking about Mexican food here. Big Grin
I thought we were talking about poop?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:In two years it will all go away! The same idiots that are bashing the Jags will be jumping on the ban wagon with there I told you so ego inflating bull crap.  As a Jag fan I don't listen to them now and don't need their support later.

I Concur...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:The "facts" as presented by Florio help push a subject he's long been big on - the fact that taxpayers are paying for stadia that help the bottom line of billionaires.

While he has a point, the full issue will never be presented in the format that PFT offers - i.e., the information you've provided won't be given in the "hit 'em and move on" type of "articles" that make up PFT.

If you've read PFT for more than two days you must know that it's a valid source of news in a very limited way. Outside of those limits it's just sigh and move on. And never read the comments - it's too depressing to know that many of those people probably vote.

To me they and most reporters/journalists that's starving for info/attention takes an scenario and twist it to their liking whether it's for likes or comments... It's a spin off of how patrol officers must meet an monthly quota of ticketing...

Job Security...
"AZANE"

Quote:The "facts" as presented by Florio help push a subject he's long been big on - the fact that taxpayers are paying for stadia that help the bottom line of billionaires.

He twists team paying for majority of league mandated policy into taxpayers giving Jaguars a million dollars for WiFi.

Classic PFT.

(This post was last modified: 06-29-2014, 04:35 PM by Olive.)

For what it is worth, I believe the overwhelming majority of large cities collect a bed tax from the hotel industry. If not all, at least a large portion of that tax goes towards supporting things like local sport facilities, convention centers … etc. Generally any financial cost associated with a possible facility, team, or location that may draw guest from outside the area.

The same is true for car rental taxes. We may not pay those taxes in our own local community, but we all pay those additional taxes when we travel in other areas similar to cities like Jacksonville.

The easiest tax to pass on the community (any community) is the one that someone else pays for. We didn't invent the idea of having the traveler pay for our local attractions. All you have to do is look at your bill the next time you travel in other parts of the country.

Quote:The article also fails to mention that this money is coming from bed taxes generated by local hotels, and is not coming out of the pockets of local taxpayers.

First of all I am fine with the city spending the money. My guess since mandated by the NFL there is wording in the lease that the city must make updates to have the stadium meet minimum NFL requirements. Probably why it passed unanimously without debate. However I believe the $1.2 million the city is paying is not from the bed tax, but from the banking fund. This was questioned and was confirmed by Stephanie Smith of WOKV after she contacted Mr. Lamping. Bottom line it is needed and will benefit more than just the Jags.