Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles' reps increases over Henne's

Quote:I don't know how much wait you would put on the extra reps, I mean Bortles is a rookie drafted #3 overall while Henne already knows the playbook and what's expected out of him (plus all the starting WRs are injured)

The receivers will be ready to play in camp, pre-season and the regular season baring additional injuries...

Or rookie WRs will play and I hope that our rookie QB gets the opportunity to gel w/them and the O-line...

Imagine the progress for the 2015 season...

NH3...
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think the team's approach is right.

But I'll also say that if Bortles somehow does start this season, I do not think he'll get shell shocked like Gabbert did. I think he'll take it all in stride.

Agreed to both sentiments. BB5 seems to be light years ahead of BG at this early stage of the game...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:His mechanics and poise is why Caldwell placed him within his sights in 2012. In my opinion grasping the offense, making the correct reads while having command of the huddle are the true reasonings to which BB5 may sit awhile.

NH3...

Bortles, his head coach, his position coach, and his offensive coordinator have all said he has to work on his mechanics. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Bortles, his head coach, his position coach, and his offensive coordinator have all said he has to work on his mechanics.
^

Quote:Bortles, his head coach, his position coach, and his offensive coordinator have all said he has to work on his mechanics.

I do acknowledge that all three made this statement but I also remember his combine coach, Caldwell and Bradley saying that his mechanics/footwork is on par...

I understand that we're in protecting him to which I'm not opposed to.

He's better than we're giving him credit for...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I do acknowledge that all three made this statement but I also remember his combine coach, Caldwell and Bradley saying that his mechanics/footwork is on par...

NH3...
I think once he improves his footwork and body work your going to see his throws improve a lot and he'll probably have a bit more zip and touch on his throws.

I think mechanics is something that makes a difference in careers.

For example, a qb needa to work on a few things, you teach him in the off-season but then throw him into the fire right away and since it's still new, they revert back to their old bad habits.

I think the idea of making a player sit, is to give him long term exposure to the correct footwork/mechanics. More so after a whole year of doing it, as opposed to three months, those techniques are more in the long term memory and second nature as opposed to something they're TRYING to do.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:I think mechanics is something that makes a difference in careers.

For example, a qb needa to work on a few things, you teach him in the off-season but then throw him into the fire right away and since it's still new, they revert back to their old bad habits.

I think the idea of making a player sit, is to give him long term exposure to the correct footwork/mechanics. More so after a whole year of doing it, as opposed to three months, those techniques are more in the long term memory and second nature as opposed to something they're TRYING to do.

Exactly. I go back to David Garrard. Prior to the 2007 season, he spent the offseason working with new QB Mike Shula, who identified a "hop" that he did prior to throwing. The hop caused his passes to sail, resulting in some pretty terrible overthrows. He worked on it and corrected it and played well enough to put Leftwich out of a job. Garrard played admirably in 2007, but he still had moments where his new fundamentals broke down and he inexplicably sailed his passes. The following offseason, Shula was gone, and so was any progress Garrard had made with his footwork. He reverted back to his old ways. Had he had a full season to instill those improvements I think it would have benefitted him in the long run, and ultimately the Jags as well.
10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

I agree Mike Shula is a great QB coach, and he has been improving Cam Newton while he's rating has only gone up a slight amount his Touchdown to Int ratio has improved by over 30% since his rookie year.

I suspect that the real reason they don't want to start him right away isn't because of his mechanics, but because they want the team around him operating smoothly first. We have new offensive linemen, wide receivers, and to throw a young QB into that mess would be too chaotic. In this situation you need a veteran QB so the coaches can concentrate on the other positions first. It would seem more logical to me to get things going in that sequence and not throw the rookie QB in when we aren't even sure if the offensive line is in sync or the WRs can run the right routes.

They don't want to come out and say, "Henne's in there to take the beating while the rest of the team gets on the right page." So they say Blake needs to improve his mechanics first.

WRs learn better with a veteran QB. Rookie QBs learn better with WRs who are running the right routes. One thing at a time.

Quote:I suspect that the real reason they don't want to start him right away isn't because of his mechanics, but because they want the team around him operating smoothly first. We have new offensive linemen, wide receivers, and to throw a young QB into that mess would be too chaotic. In this situation you need a veteran QB so the coaches can concentrate on the other positions first. It would seem more logical to me to get things going in that sequence and not throw the rookie QB in when we aren't even sure if the offensive line is in sync or the WRs can run the right routes.

They don't want to come out and say, "Henne's in there to take the beating while the rest of the team gets on the right page." So they say Blake needs to improve his mechanics first.

WRs learn better with a veteran QB. Rookie QBs learn better with WRs who are running the right routes. One thing at a time.

Nah, I suspect the real reason is mechanics. The part you mention might also be a by-product or added benefit of not starting him early....but I believe mechanics, plus the team wanting Bortles to get a second nature understanding/ recognization of the playbook are bigger reasons. 

David Garrard the back up for Byron, hmm Chad Henne the back up for Blaine Gabbert, whom failed to produce just like draft pick Byron Leftwich.  I hope that Blake Bortles is not another 1st round QB disappointment in Jacksonville.  The quicker he plays I would hope indicates his ability to learn the playbook and fix mechanics problems and not out of desperation.  It would appear that Gus & Dave arent in that fear mode so if and when Blake plays this year I would think its because he's ready.

Quote:I do acknowledge that all three made this statement but I also remember his combine coach, Caldwell and Bradley saying that his mechanics/footwork is on par...

NH3...

You mean his pro day, and all they said was that it was improved.  It was also demonstrated with no pass rush.  Just him, a coach, and a receiver.  He's got a lot of developing to do.  They've all said it, including the player. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:You mean his pro day, and all they said was that it was improved.  It was also demonstrated with no pass rush.  Just him, a coach, and a receiver.  He's got a lot of developing to do.  They've all said it, including the player.

I get the "No Rush" scenario. I remember that comment from his pro-day as well. His training that led up to his combine performances, were what I was referring to. Remember that segment of BB5 and Marquis on the NFL channel. His trainers corrected or messed up (by Jaguar terms?) his mechanics.

Mechanics like anything else is improved by corrected reputitions. I see no problem w/BB5 taking the next step and doing so MUCH sooner than most anticipates...

I truely believe that he'll impress in the pre-season to where most would rather see him start over Henne...

Just an opinion...

NH3...
"AZANE"

If BB5 proves that he can handle the riggers of the NFL pre-season he'll be O.K. I'm for allowing him to grow along w/the receivers, OL, TE, etc. I'd hate for everydone to get used to Henne then we insert BB5 to which the learning curve would start all over again.

If the man can handle the job then the job should be his sooner than later...

I'm NH3 and I approve this message...

NH3...
"AZANE"

And...........it's already begun.
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

Quote:I get the "No Rush" scenario. I remember that comment from his pro-day as well. His training that led up to his combine performances, were what I was referring to. Remember that segment of BB5 and Marquis on the NFL channel. His trainers corrected or messed up (by Jaguar terms?) his mechanics.

Mechanics like anything else is improved by corrected reputitions. I see no problem w/BB5 taking the next step and doing so MUCH sooner than most anticipates...

I truely believe that he'll impress in the pre-season to where most would rather see him start over Henne...

Just an opinion...

NH3...

Tim Tebow fixed his mechanics too before the draft.  Once he was on the field facing real hits, he reverted to his old habits.  Mechanics can be changed, but it requires muscle memory to make sure the changes stick. 

I really don't see Bortles starting before the bye week, and if he does start afterward, it's more likely because of injury than anything else. 

Impressing in the preseason against guys who will be bagging groceries a week or two later isn't really a good barometer. 

Quote:Tim Tebow fixed his mechanics too before the draft. Once he was on the field facing real hits, he reverted to his old habits. Mechanics can be changed, but it requires muscle memory to make sure the changes stick.

I really don't see Bortles starting before the bye week, and if he does start afterward, it's more likely because of injury than anything else.

Impressing in the preseason against guys who will be bagging groceries a week or two later isn't really a good barometer.
hit the nail on the head there.

The good news is Bortles doesn't seem to have a ton wrong with his throwing motion (which seems to be the least successful thing to correct at the NFL level). His main problems stem from the lower body...at times. A lot of college offenses breed that problem with the quick no-read throws. Colin Kaepernick has had a similar problem and mostly has overcome them

Mark Long from the AP was at Jaguar minicamp today, and his exact words: "Bortles needs a lot of work. He is not ready to start in this league."

Long also gave a lot of praise to the way Henne looked, much to the chagrin of so many around here.

I know Long isn't a coach or anything, but he covers the NFL in it's entirety, and sees enough to have a decent opinion. His opinion match the opinion of the coach, the GM, and the owner. And that opinion is that the best interests of the Jaguars lie in starting Henne and sitting Bortles this season.

They realize that making the fans wait a season for a great QB is better than caving to the vocal minority who would probably be crying for Stanzi by week 6 if things didn't go perfectly.

They have a plan, learn it, love it, and live it. You will be better and happier for it.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.