Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NASCAR track wants to host a Jaguars preseason game

Quote:Preseason pretty much sucks, anyway. Hot as hades and nothing really to watch for, except for rookies battling for roster spots. And who wants to be there if a starter goes down to injury? Let Daytona have a preseason game next year...

I don't have the preseason hate that alot of people do. I actually enjoy the games. They are usually Friday or Saturday night. You can tailgate, have fun. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's not like our 3rd preseason game is a home game anyways.  Let em have one.  Expand the market and bring in new fans.

Quote:It's not like our 3rd preseason game is a home game anyways.  Let em have one.  Expand the market and bring in new fans.

yeah give them the 4th game, its usually on a thursday or something and nobody plays in the game

Sure -- take our preseason game.  I'd probably still go but alleviating me from spending $170 on 2 tickets for tickets that I can get for $10 each outside the gate would be kind of nice.

Quote:I like it.

It's a novelty idea that will expose the team to a broader attendance base in central Florida yet still be in Jacksonville's back yard.

Plus it is pretty much guaranteed to be nationally televised and any exposure is good exposure when you are a small market team.

agreed with the above. 

Quote:It's preseason. Those games are second rate anyhow, as is Daytona. Seems like a good match to me.

Will all the plays only be allowed to go left?

mandatory NASCAR shot!!! :teehee: :teehee:

Quote:Khan is attempting to take over the market in Florida by demonstrating his product in different places.

If he's successful, you won't ever have to worry about the Jaguars moving again or hearing about the lack of a fan base.

If I lived in Jacksonville, I could deal with this in the short term. I doubt the Jaguars will be giving up home games every year.

this ^^^

Quote:Daytona won't be ready for it until the 2016 season (NASCAR).  Jaguars play their last London game in 2016.  I think they should wait till 2017, such that dedicated fans get a home regular season game back but lose a preseason game.  In 2018 things resume to full schedule and hopefully a home playoff game ! 
Do you really think after all the effort to make the Jags "London's" team that 2016 will be the last game played there???  I really doubt it...  They initially agreed to 4 games to make sure it would work...    From the sounds of it, they are building infastructure there...

Not sure why anyone would want to watch a game at the Speedway...  Aren't the seeds pretty far from the infield and would only be on one side???    I for one would not mind not paying for a preseason game..

I live in Daytona Beach now. This area is ripe for the picking. I see more and more Jag gear every month on the general populace.

It is the perfect tie in too, as many people here work in Orlando.

By the way, I help, spread the word every time I'm in a certain courtroom here, as the Judge asks me about the Jags in the middle of a packed courtroom every time I'm there. Good natured stuff.

Quote:Do you really think after all the effort to make the Jags "London's" team that 2016 will be the last game played there???  I really doubt it...  They initially agreed to 4 games to make sure it would work...    From the sounds of it, they are building infastructure there...

Not sure why anyone would want to watch a game at the Speedway...  Aren't the seeds pretty far from the infield and would only be on one side???    I for one would not mind not paying for a preseason game..

The infrastructure is already in place in London.  The Jaguars made that move last year when they started this process to play in London.  I don't see them abandoning the market any time soon, especially when they made a ton of money over there last year.  They would make peanuts in Daytona in comparison. 

As long as there's a game being played in London, I doubt seriously the team would consider taking another home game away from the fans.  Promote the heck out of the team down there.  Do whatever marketing is necessary.  You don't screw over the people who have supported the team through all of this, even if it is just a meaningless preseason game to some folks. 

They're spending $400 million on renovations at Daytona International in order to address the issues with things being too far from the bleachers. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 08:14 PM by badger.)

Quote:I live in Daytona Beach now. This area is ripe for the picking. I see more and more Jag gear every month on the general populace.

It is the perfect tie in too, as many people here work in Orlando.

By the way, I help, spread the word every time I'm in a certain courtroom here, as the Judge asks me about the Jags in the middle of a packed courtroom every time I'm there. Good natured stuff.

we have probably been inside the same chipotle at the same time

to your point.  i think moving a practice over here at Mainland or Seabreeze (or both) would do more to generate local buzz about the Jaguars.  I think a preseason game would flop here, but thats jmo.

I kind'a think that this would be a good thing from the stand point of marketing. Jacksonville is, after all, by itself a very small market. If it's popularity could be developed more regionally I can't hardly see how doing a pre-season game in Daytona would be bad. Of course, nothing will boost the popularity of the team over not only Florida but the whole world like winning...

From a local fan point of view, I wouldn't like to see another regular season game taken someplace else; but, a pre-season game in Daytona could be turned into a pretty fun event as compared to sitting around here and watching rookies slug it out to make the roster...

I'm inclined to think that a pre-season game in Daytona would be pretty much a 'win-win' situation.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

I really don't see it having a tremendous impact on building the fan base in any significant way. 

Most people who attend the game will be there more than likely because of the novelty of seeing a football game at the crown jewel of NASCAR tracks.  They're not going there to give the Jags a chance at their fan loyalty.  We may see a small bump, but the team has been in Jacksonville for 20 years now.  There have been plenty of opportunities for them to get on the bandwagon, and they haven't, so I just don't see this significant shift because of a game that, depending on what week of the preseason, could be a snoozer.  That's really not going to win over fans.

Winning will build a fan base.  Building a product that people want to support will go a lot further than anything else to expand the appeal. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

(This post was last modified: 06-16-2014, 06:11 PM by Jagsngamecocks.)

Couple of points. 

If we continue in London, maybe we could use an away game for once, and do the Daytona thing for a preseason home game.

While some might think this might not bump sales, it seems that the Jags are doing much better with relationships with other areas then under WW.  I don't know if the speedway has a skybox at everbank, but this type of thing might sell a couple of those, or some more club seats.  Marketing and advertising is for brand awareness, that transfers into sales.

Could end up with some Jag marketing opportunities during the Daytona 500 and Pepsi 400 events to a national audience.  Jaxon riding in the pace car?  why not.  Jaxon dropping in from a light tower?  Why not

I am enjoying the out of the box thinking that is going on these days and am more inclined to say "Shoot, give it a try" than to say, "Nope, that will never work."  It sure is fresh opposed to the stale methods that went on prior to the transfer of the team. 

<FONT size=4>Are you suggesting that coconuts migrate?</FONT>

Quote:Sure -- take our preseason game.  I'd probably still go but alleviating me from spending $170 on 2 tickets for tickets that I can get for $10 each outside the gate would be kind of nice.

As if the cost of your season tickets would go down?

We lost a premium regular season home game but still pay the same.

Quote:I really don't see it having a tremendous impact on building the fan base in any significant way. 

Most people who attend the game will be there more than likely because of the novelty of seeing a football game at the crown jewel of NASCAR tracks.  They're not going there to give the Jags a chance at their fan loyalty.  We may see a small bump, but the team has been in Jacksonville for 20 years now.  There have been plenty of opportunities for them to get on the bandwagon, and they haven't, so I just don't see this significant shift because of a game that, depending on what week of the preseason, could be a snoozer.  That's really not going to win over fans.

Winning will build a fan base.  Building a product that people want to support will go a lot further than anything else to expand the appeal. 
Winning will build the fan base, but marketing the team and increasing exposure while winning will build the fan base even more.

Virginia Tech will play Tennessee at Bristol Motor Speedway on Sept. 10 2016, so it's not without precedent.  But, it is a modern idea.

This is just more forward thinking by the new leadership.  There's no reason not to reach out and make a game more accessible to "recruit" fans.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Winning will build the fan base, but marketing the team and increasing exposure while winning will build the fan base even more.

I don't think you really have any way to back this up.

Quote:Winning will build the fan base, but marketing the team and increasing exposure while winning will build the fan base even more.

Again, that's all fine and good.  Just don't tick off the people who actually matter.  You know, the fans who buy season tickets?

Playing a game in Daytona would be nothing more than a novelty.  I'm skeptical you'd see any significant bump in season ticket sales as a result.  Like I said before, the team has been here for 20 years.  It's not like it's some undiscovered treasure that people in Daytona knew nothing about.  If they're going to a game at the speedway, it's to see the renovations and how they'd pull this off more than about the football, especially if we're talking about a preseason game.

Quote:I don't think you really have any way to back this up.
There is an entire industry built around marketing that backs it up.

Quote:Again, that's all fine and good.  Just don't tick off the people who actually matter.  You know, the fans who buy season tickets?

Playing a game in Daytona would be nothing more than a novelty.  I'm skeptical you'd see any significant bump in season ticket sales as a result.  Like I said before, the team has been here for 20 years.  It's not like it's some undiscovered treasure that people in Daytona knew nothing about.  If they're going to a game at the speedway, it's to see the renovations and how they'd pull this off more than about the football, especially if we're talking about a preseason game.
Exposure means more than just season ticket sales. There are all sorts of revenue streams that exposure helps build and if you expect the team to stay in Jacksonville, then season ticket holders will need to show a little more devotion than being put off by an 80 mile home away from home road trip to a sporting icon.

It's Daytona not Timbuktu. The sellout will far outweigh the few crass that are put off by an extra hour drive.

Green Bay's fan base makes a trip like this every home game. I don't hear them complaining.

Quote:Exposure means more than just season ticket sales. There are all sorts of revenue streams that exposure helps build and if you expect the team to stay in Jacksonville, then season ticket holders will need to show a little more devotion than being put off by an 80 mile home away from home road trip to a sporting icon.

It's Daytona not Timbuktu. The sellout will far outweigh the few crass that are put off by an extra hour drive.

Green Bay's fan base makes a trip like this every home game. I don't hear them complaining.

We're not Green Bay, and I've never implied Daytona is Timbuktu, but feel free to twist it as you see fit.

I get what exposure means.  I also recognize that the overwhelming majority who would show up for a game like that, especially if it's the first time they play football there, will be coming to see the new facility, and won't care one iota about the teams on the field, ESPECIALLY if they recognize it for what it is, which is a glorified practice game where they're not going to see the best either team has to offer. 

I think that despite the fact that the team has been downright awful at times over the past several years, the season ticket holders have shown tremendous devotion to the team, even when the team took a regular season game away to play in London.  Go ahead and take another game away, and do it while they're still losing a game to London, and let's see just how understanding the fans can be.  Especially when they are trying to expand the market by playing in Daytona Beach, and particularly after the stadium here has undergone significant renovations intended to be a draw for those fans who only have to drive 80 miles from Daytona to see the Jaguars if that's what they're truly interested in. 

The interstate runs both ways you know, and the fan experience at a home Jaguars game will trump going to a speedway to watch a preseason game.