Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Examining the rarity of Blake Bortles' developmental schedule and the history of NFL redshirts

Quote:Hello, all. I became interested in Caldwell's plan for Bortles in the days after the draft -- for both the boldness of sitting the No. 3 pick in today's league that stresses quick results and for his transparency in communicating a long-term plan to the Jacksonville fanbase -- so I decided to look at past examples in history of first-round quarterbacks that sat out their entire rookie years (akin to a college redshirt). I wasn't surprised to find that there is no discernible evidence available that suggests a quarterback is better for sitting or starting immediately, but it was an interesting exercise.

A lot of people here know a lot more about the Jaguars than me, so please feel free to point out any inconsistencies (or flat-our inaccuracies).

http://badmanbureau.com/2014/06/02/blake...-redshirt/
The debate on whether or not a QB is helped out by sitting on the bench is a good one.  In my opinion you will find out quickly if the QB will be the franchise QB or not by starting him and letting him play (not to mention On the Job Training is vital for success) the reasons you would not do that is;

1.) Your Offensive Line is a mess with no healthy starters (that would be considered starters on other teams).

2.) In addition to the above you have no healthy starting WRs or catching threats like TEs (ditto above).

3.) Your QB lacks the intelligence or skillset to learn the playbook and execute it properly.

If more than one out of the 3 above exists (and if you took the qb #3 overall) you probably dont want to start him because it'll make you as the GM and / or HC look bad when he fails (even if its not totally his fault).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I like sitting him. Maybe this time our QB of the future can get prepared. ...used to the speed.....educated on reading defense. ...and be HUNGRY to play from biding the time.
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

Quote: ...and be HUNGRY to play from biding the time.

That's a great point I had not considered.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Exactly. There is no method. If a qb is good then he will be good. The qb who fails starting as a rookie probably would have failed if he sat a year or 2. It all comes down to talent and talent around the qb.

Steve Young and Brett Favre both failed with the original teams that drafted them. I don't remember if either of them started right away or if they sat for any length of time, but if they had shown the potential of what their careers turned out to be with the original team that drafted them, neither of them would of been traded.

Those are 2 QB's that I can think of that turned out to be HOF QB's for a different team then the one that drafted them.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 04:28 AM by Thunderkyss.)

Quote:Steve Young and Brett Favre both failed with the original teams that drafted them. I don't remember if either of them started right away or if they sat for any length of time, but if they had shown the potential of what their careers turned out to be with the original team that drafted them, neither of them would of been traded.

Those are 2 QB's that I can think of that turned out to be HOF QB's for a different team then the one that drafted them.
Wiki:

Quote:the Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes. Although his time in Tampa Bay was miserable, San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh was impressed by Young's natural abilities and felt that his problems were due to the struggling Bucs organization. 

The Buccaneers selected University of Miami quarterback Vinny Testaverde first overall in the 1987 NFL Draft because Young was deemed a bust. Young was traded to the San Francisco 49ers on April 24, 1987 to serve as a backup to Joe Montana. The Buccaneers received 2nd and 4th round draft picks in the trade, which they used to draft Miami linebackerWinston Moss, and Arizona State wide receiver Bruce Hill, respectively.

Brett didn't really fail in Atlanta so much as his coach never liked him.  

Quote:<span style="font-size:10.5pt;">Atlanta coach Jerry Glanville

did not approve of the drafting of Favre, saying it would take a plane crash for him to put Favre into the game.<sup>[23]
</sup>Favre's first pass in an NFL regular season game resulted in an interception returned for a touchdown.<sup>[24]
</sup></span> He only attempted four passes in his career at Atlanta, was intercepted twice, and completed none of them. Brett took one other snap, which resulted in a sack for an eleven-yard loss.<sup>[9]

</sup>

Green Bay Packers general manager <span style="color:#0b0080;">Ron Wolf

traded a first-round pick (19th overall, which would be used for Tony Smith
) for Favre after the 1991 season. Wolf, while an assistant to the general manager of the New York Jets
</span>, had intended to take Favre in the 1991 NFL draft, but Favre was taken by the Falcons on the previous pick.

ImATexan

^ see there is still hope for Gabbert.. I kid I kid.

Quote:I like sitting him. Maybe this time our QB of the future can get prepared. ...used to the speed.....educated on reading defense. ...and be HUNGRY to play from biding the time.

You would like to hope he would be hungry to start right now.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:You would like to hope he would be hungry to start right now.

He's already indicated he's prepared to start right now if needed.  I'm not concerned about his motivation to get out there.  I just want to see him well prepared for the experience. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Who says he isn't?

Quote:Steve Young and Brett Favre both failed with the original teams that drafted them. I don't remember if either of them started right away or if they sat for any length of time, but if they had shown the potential of what their careers turned out to be with the original team that drafted them, neither of them would of been traded.

Favre threw four passes as a Falcon.

On the subject of Tampa busts, though, Testaverde is a good example of a guy who stunk for several years with the team that drafted him before carving a solid career for himself elsewhere. The Bucs pulled the plug pretty quickly on Young.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2014, 02:37 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

I'm surprised the OP hasn't taken a shot at Bortles (or the Jags) yet, considering he had Bortles behind Carr and Metternberger going into the draft.

Quote:Who says he isn't?

Nobody, I'm just saying the third pick of the draft should be as motivated as it is possible to be and suggesting there is anything that can make him more motivated invites the possibility he isn't.

Quote:Nobody, I'm just saying the third pick of the draft should be as motivated as it is possible to be and suggesting there is anything that can make him more motivated invites the possibility he isn't.

You don't think that there is anything that could make him more motivated?

Being hungry and being anxious are two different things. I think all rooks are anxious to play....but being absolutely prepared and ready but having to watch from the sidelines is more of what I mean by "hungry".
If that RV sales place wants Tebow in Jax bad enough to take out a billboard saying as much.....they should just HIRE him.

Quote:Nobody, I'm just saying the third pick of the draft should be as motivated as it is possible to be and suggesting there is anything that can make him more motivated invites the possibility he isn't.

It doesn't suggest that at all.

All it means is that he could be bringing a lot of energy with him (which feeds those around him) next season when he's handed the keys.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 04:25 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

I don't care where I was picked, to what league I was drafted to, or how much I'm making..... if my mother comes up to me and says "I will die a slow, painful death if you don't win 5 games this season....." you can be darn sure I'm going to be more motivated to win 5 games than I was before hearing that.

Quote:I don't care where I was picked, to what league I was drafted to, or how much I'm making..... if my mother comes up to me and says "I will die a slow, painful death if you don't win 5 games this season....." you can be darn sure I'm going to be more motivated to win 5 games than I was before hearing that.

Its my opinion of the nature of motivation. You are either fully, properly motivated or not. Properly is a key word too, screaming and shouting and jumping around wont help, killing yourself in the gym, or watching 23 hours a day of game tape and doing more harm than good wont help either. Motivation to win which makes you to prepare correctly  physically and mentally is in my humble opinion internal. Fluctuations based on external factors will of course effect motivation day by day, hour by hour but overall it should be pretty stable. 'I want to be the best so I'm going to work out hard even though I feel like crap.' or 'I want to win, so I'm not going to drink even though its my birthday.' etc. I would hope his internal motivation is already at that level. Giving an extra 5% on the weights when you are already on a high specialized plan because you're POed you didn't start isn't going to help if you are already working at a maximum level.

In your scenario, there would also be a whole other bunch of emotions which would play out too, anger, sadness and who knows what else. In some ways they help in other ways they wont. Its not just about wanting more and doing crazy things like throwing hail Marys into triple coverage to achieve it, because that won't work.

[Image: tumblr_mr8bgh9OyQ1rtpoqbo1_500.gif]

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014, 11:44 PM by BluegrassBrandon.)

Quote:I'm surprised the OP hasn't taken a shot at Bortles (or the Jags) yet, considering he had Bortles behind Carr and Metternberger going into the draft.

Yeah, no. I'm not a hack. The subject material didn't call for my (amateur) opinion on Bortles as a prospect; it was based around Caldwell's plan for him and the historical comparisons to that schedule.

No need to throw stones while living in the house of Devin Gardner. 

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2014, 02:00 AM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Quote:Yeah, no. I'm not a hack. The subject material didn't call for my (amateur) opinion on Bortles as a prospect; it was based around Caldwell's plan for him and the historical comparisons to that schedule.

No need to throw stones while living in the house of Devin Gardner. 

My opinion on Gardner changed as the season progressed. You were very insistent that opinions couldn't change, especially not due to combines, pro days, or senior bowls. You liked Mettenberger more than Bortles in December so, by your logic, you must still like him more.  No ands, ifs, or buts. My point isn't about WHO you like as a QB, but rather how bullheaded your angle was.

Let's not even get started on your "NO WAY will Clowney be drafted #1 over Bridgewater" shtick... lol.