Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gene Smith the Jaguars toughest opponent. Where is he now?

Quote:Caldwell once said something similar to "you pick a QB every year until you get one."   Shows a little how he thinks.  He is probably already looking. 

Laughing in theory fine, but in practice that wouldn't work for long

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Saw him in Publix with Jerry Porter. 

....I miss my old handle. 

Quote:His first draft was actually not too bad. Britton was good at first, but then got hurt. Monroe was always solid. Knighton was very good when he was at his best, but he got really out of shape. Cox was good but always hurt. Mike Thomas was good as far as fourth round WR's go, but he gave up. Dillard was hurt too much. Zach Miller never got healthy.

Gotta admit, his other drafts were atrocious, but he did have more than his fair share of bad luck along the way. Anyone remember D'Anthony Smith? Spent 3 years on IR, like, how does that even happen.
Pot Roast got in shape in Denver last year and now is pitching Bridgestone tires..  Never would have happened for him remaining in Jacksonville.....  Good for him...

Quote:Gene Smith

Famous Quotes:

"Get the Big Guys Early"

"Best Available Player"

"Um Uh Um Uh Uh Um Uh Um"

This guy was a complete disaster. His philosophy was to draft Bigger players in the high rounds and get your wr's and everyone else in the lower rounds. Gene Smith was also on another planet when it came to player evaluation. Alualu 10th overall, Bryan Anger in the third round, etc. In fact his 4 years of drafting maybe the worst drafting ever in that same time frame. Gene Smith also contradicted himself.  He was known to like choir boys and selects Justin Blackmon 5th overall, He kept saying best available player and selects a punter in the third round. Gene Smith set this team back a decade.

Is he still in football of some capacity or is he retired?

I posted his new job but it got moved to Sideline:

He's a pie tester now:

[Image: cp-gif-15-10.gif]

I've pretty much forgotten about Gene Smith. The only thing I remember vividly was that Sexton, Lageman, Boselli, & Oesher all said that Gene Smith would be snatched up by another NFL team very quickly and that it would happen before the next season. That was two years ago and Gene Smith is still without a team. Will he be with another team one day? Probably...but as a scout, not a GM.

IIRC he was going to be paid for the remainder of his contract anyway.

Maybe he just wanted to enjoy being a family man for a couple of years before working again
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:IIRC he was going to be paid for the remainder of his contract anyway.

Maybe he just wanted to enjoy being a family man for a couple of years before working again

That couldn't be possible.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Gene Smith was an example of doing all the right things but missing on the most crucial part: drafting good players. His philosophies were sound, his drafting very much not so.

I think what he said were his philosophies were sound. He didn't stick to them though..

Justin Blackmon contradicted his character traits. He threw away draft picks. He loved spending on free agents and I can't believe how many of his picks could possibly be BAP.

Quote:Pot Roast got in shape in Denver last year and now is pitching Bridgestone tires..  Never would have happened for him remaining in Jacksonville.....  Good for him...

That is a good point (sort of). Is Jacksonville too party friendly for people with instant money? I think of New Orleans when I consider a city that may lure a life of addiction. I know that can happen anywhere, but in some cities I would think there may be a more vulnerable class of people to that availability of the instant cash lifestyle.

We have had our share, and my thought may be nothing less than being more sensitive to the "we" part.

It just seems like every year we have somebody facing some sort of drinking, or drug charges, or suspension.

Quote:That is a good point (sort of). Is Jacksonville too party friendly for people with instant money? I think of New Orleans when I consider a city that may lure a life of addiction. I know that can happen anywhere, but in some cities I would think there may be a more vulnerable class of people to that availability of the instant cash lifestyle.

We have had our share, and my thought may be nothing less than being more sensitive to the "we" part.

It just seems like every year we have somebody facing some sort of drinking, or drug charges, or suspension

I didn't explain that well.  Sad

Quote:I didn't explain that well. Sad
made sense to me.

Quote:Gene Smith was an example of doing all the right things but missing on the most crucial part: drafting good players. His philosophies were sound, his drafting very much not so.

If drafting crummy players, signing crummy free agents, and trading away draft picks is an example of doing all the right things, then I would hate to see where doing all the wrong things would have put us.

Gene was handcuffed (to Rio and a tight pocket owner looking to sale out). I give him a pass. Harris not so much. He coasted on Coughlin's last bit of doing and blew it. Who hired Del Rio? I really don't recall? Was it Harris and or Weaver?

No one is safe.

Quote:Gene was handcuffed (to Rio and a tight pocket owner looking to sale out). I give him a pass. Harris not so much. He coasted on Coughlin's last bit of doing and blew it. Who hired Del Rio? I really don't recall? Was it Harris and or Weaver?
del rio really wasent that bad and Smith made some really bad picks.

Quote:del rio really wasent that bad and Smith made some really bad picks.
He handled every QB situation horribly: Leftwich and Brunell; Leftwich and Garrard; Garrard and Gabbert, etc. When he was gone, two of best players (all-pros) this team has ever had (Taylor, and Smith) came out saying he wasn't made to be a Head Coach (both played for Coughlin and Belichick, real Head Coaches). There really shouldn't be anything to argue here. We all wanted him to be our Cowher but that never happened, he didn't care enough and was out of his element.

No one is safe.

Quote:He handled every QB situation horribly: Leftwich and Brunell; Leftwich and Garrard; Garrard and Gabbert, etc. When he was gone, two of best players (all-pros) this team has ever had (Taylor, and Smith) came out saying he wasn't made to be a Head Coach (both played for Coughlin and Belichick, real Head Coaches). There really shouldn't be anything to argue here. We all wanted him to be our Cowher but that never happened, he didn't care enough and was out of his element.
Agreed.  He had a tendency to mishandle situations, and he had a real issue with players who stepped up and tried to be leaders. 

The QB situation was just one example of how he just never got a handle on how to manage personnel. 

Wasn't it Deon Grant who wound up in his doghouse for stepping up in the locker room during a halftime break when the team was struggling? 

Jack's ego and his affection for being considered a riverboat gambler type undermined any good football instinct he had.  He was and still is far better suited to be a coordinator than a head coach.  Now, maybe with time he'll learn from his mistakes.  The guy had a good football mind.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:IIRC he was going to be paid for the remainder of his contract anyway.

If so, it was a really foolish career move. Once you're out for a couple of years it's almost impossible to get back in.

I'm surprised Coughlin didn't find a place for him in New Jersey. Of course Jerry Reese might have noticed his undermining of Shack Harris and just said "No Way."

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Agreed.  He had a tendency to mishandle situations, and he had a real issue with players who stepped up and tried to be leaders. 

The QB situation was just one example of how he just never got a handle on how to manage personnel. 

Wasn't it Deon Grant who wound up in his doghouse for stepping up in the locker room during a halftime break when the team was struggling? 

Jack's ego and his affection for being considered a riverboat gambler type undermined any good football instinct he had.  He was and still is far better suited to be a coordinator than a head coach.  Now, maybe with time he'll learn from his mistakes.  The guy had a good football mind.

And Jack was also schitzo in that respect (your last sentence)......because, while he always liked to gamble on 4th down.....he also was in favor of some of the most conservative styles of play on both offense and defense. Jack's dream was winning every game 9-3, with 250 yards rushing and 100 passing. 

His rhetoric was always about how he wanted aggressive, wide open offense (remember his "no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust" comments??) But it was pretty much a bold faced lie, because thats exactly the kind of game that he liked. Actions spoke louder than words. 

Quote:And Jack was also schitzo in that respect (your last sentence)......because, while he always liked to gamble on 4th down.....he also was in favor of some of the most conservative styles of play on both offense and defense. Jack's dream was winning every game 9-3, with 250 yards rushing and 100 passing. 

His rhetoric was always about how he wanted aggressive, wide open offense (remember his "no more 3 yards and a cloud of dust" comments??) But it was pretty much a bold faced lie, because thats exactly the kind of game that he liked. Actions spoke louder than words. 

I agree. Does your sig -- "only a man can raise a child" -- imply that you are a father? If so, happy Father's Day. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt