Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Peter King: Jax could be a sleeping giant soon

Quote:I'm starting to think you've got an agenda.  

Quote:Ya think?

Yeah, looks like I missed the obvious.   Smile

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I agree....I hope the fan base that is gung ho right now is also smart enough to realize this, too. 

We are on the upswing, but 2015 is the year that I really expect to see a serious playoff push. 

I'm hoping the fans aren't short sighted enough to say things like "oh see, same old Jaguars" if we happen to start out slow again this season, because we very well might.

I agree 2015 is the realistic target for Jaguars contention. But since we are discussing fan support, can you imagine the pandemonium here if the Jaguars made a playoff run this year? I don't know if it would match 1996, but it would still be a blast.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:If the Jaguars played the titans and texans the first two weeks when the Jaguars were swooning and those two teams were playing better and it's likely the Jaguars are shorter two wins.

The Jaguars had a bit of fortune in the second half of the season the way things shook out, including Joe Haden going completely brain dead to allow Cecil Shorts to come WIDE open.

It wasn't an overall fortunate season, but they had a little luck with the way that stretch worked out. Which brings me back to the main point, going .500 in the second half of the season wasn't some indication of the team getting noticeably better. That's why when the Jaguars lined up against the colts they looked like it was back in the first half of the season.

Not certain if you know who was on the roster last year but the fact they even one 1 game last year amazed me. Maybe it's time to start realizing this team has a good coach, GM and the talent level of this team is increasing.

Again I truly believed we were a 0-16 team last year because there was no good to great players. Just a few decent and a bunch a bad players. They somehow won 4 games. That to me tells me the arrow is pointing up. If they win 4 with 22 orange cones then what can they do with some actual talent. The days on JDR are gone.

Quote:To be fair to national perspective though, we had 6,200 at a rookie mini camp which has never been done and blew away the training camp record.  So I do think there is something to this maturing which you said going on.  I can feel the energy.  It is weird, you just can tell things are different this year with excitement.  

I understand that this helped the national perspective, but that's only a wake up call for them.  The fan passion in Jacksonville has never been as lacking as they have portrayed it. 

There is a maturation process at play here.  There's certainly a renewed energy in the franchise, and I think it's a more mature viewpoint than we saw early on with the team when things were new and they were enjoying success.  This is a fan base that has now endured some of the lowest lows a group can encounter.  They've taken the bruising that comes with developing a true passion for the team.

When we were in our peak of success in the late 90's, I remember one of the steeler regulars who used to post here who would always say we weren't a truly passionate fan base.  The reason he said this is because we'd never really faced adversity.  We'd enjoyed a great run of success, but we really hadn't endured the ugly years that really scar a fan base and build their resolve.  That's why you saw a significant drop off as the team started to face the down periods.  We're on the upswing now, and with a much more seasoned fan base.  We've got kids who have grown up knowing only the Jaguars.  That is the future, and it's a promising one.  That is why this time feels much different from the good old days. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I am one of those transplanted baby-boomers who dropped my loyalty to my former team as soon as I wrote my first check for season tickets in 1993 on a Monday night in November down at the Gator Bowl. I followed my former team for a couple of years but eventually the Jaguars claimed my total loyalty.

It takes a while for some to change by osmosis, and it's even harder if the former team had multiple championships, but for many the Jaguars will capture that transplanted loyalty when they start winning championships. After all, it's how we find value in our life when our team achieves worldwide recognition as the very best.

Regards.......................the Chiefjag

Quote:I'm starting to think you've got an agenda. 

He doesn't have time for that...

Quote:He doesn't have time for that...

Yeah, ain't nobody got time for that.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:The humorous part is at that point in the game and season Shorts was utterly ineffective .... 

He had caught 8 passes just the previous week.   

A-G-E-N-D-A

Quote:He had caught 8 passes just the previous week.   

A-G-E-N-D-A

That's actually fact. He played hurt the entire season last year and it was apparent to anyone who was watching him closely. Sure, he still had a few games here and there, but he was never close to 100%

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

When I wake up and watch a new Gus Bradley, David Caldwell, or Shad Kahn press conference/interview on the Jaguars website I have to slap myself to make sure I am awake.  I know we are only going on our second year of a complete rebuild but, WHAT IS GOING ON!!!  The usual negative crowd on this board is now positive and so is most of the topic starters on this blog.  We finally have positive responses about draft classes from national media and very positive responses from the media about our coach.  I don't think there was as much excitement/anticipation during the inaugural season.  One in and one out during rookie camp??? Seriously!!!!  Jaguar pride!!! My only regret is that I live so far away.  Wish I could be in the city that is so full of die hard fans like I am.  Makes me more proud to wear the Teal!!!  DUVAL!!!!

Man I don't know who trolls harder.. Shangster or oaklahomie..

Quote:Jaguars maybe gaining fans, but they'll lose those fans at season end when they have to endure 3 hours of anemic offense and zero pass rush on defense that makes 2nd tier qb's look like Tom Brady.
Your post are so heart warming and well written. Now get lost!

Quote:I understand that this helped the national perspective, but that's only a wake up call for them.  The fan passion in Jacksonville has never been as lacking as they have portrayed it. 

There is a maturation process at play here.  There's certainly a renewed energy in the franchise, and I think it's a more mature viewpoint than we saw early on with the team when things were new and they were enjoying success.  This is a fan base that has now endured some of the lowest lows a group can encounter.  They've taken the bruising that comes with developing a true passion for the team.

When we were in our peak of success in the late 90's, I remember one of the steeler regulars who used to post here who would always say we weren't a truly passionate fan base.  The reason he said this is because we'd never really faced adversity.  We'd enjoyed a great run of success, but we really hadn't endured the ugly years that really scar a fan base and build their resolve.  That's why you saw a significant drop off as the team started to face the down periods.  We're on the upswing now, and with a much more seasoned fan base.  We've got kids who have grown up knowing only the Jaguars.  That is the future, and it's a promising one.  That is why this time feels much different from the good old days. 
I remember the posts by the Steeler fan. In short looking back he was right. Great post and very true.

Quote:I understand that this helped the national perspective, but that's only a wake up call for them.  The fan passion in Jacksonville has never been as lacking as they have portrayed it. 

Steelers fans should be the last ones talking about a lack of adversity.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Jaguars maybe gaining fans, but they'll lose those fans at season end when they have to endure 3 hours of anemic offense and zero pass rush on defense that makes 2nd tier qb's look like Tom Brady.
I'm not sure we will lose fans, but it seems the same cycle repeats itself every year...Every draft people get really excited and some start projecting unrealistic expectations and when expectations aren't met, people get disgruntled...I can understand the excitement, I'm excited too but expectations must stay in check with reality, which is we are only in year 2 of a complete rebuild and we will probably have another losing season, BUT!!! We will be one year closer to where we want and need to be...One more draft and we will become competitors, 2 more drafts and we will be solid all the way around

After reserching this team, people seem to have forgotten just how good the Jaguars use to be! To me it's not "will the Jaguars ever be good?" To me it's "when will they return to greatness?"
New Jaguars Fan 2014

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2014, 10:45 AM by thunderbuns.)

Without reading every post. I will say the Jaguars have always had very passionate fans. Just not enough of them. What they needed was time. I was a teenager the first year. I started by buying tickets to one game a year or a three game package. Now I am a season ticket holder. Most of the people are me are around my age or younger. We are having kids of our own. My son is a 7 year old diehard Jaguar fan. He's part of the next "Generation Jaguar".

Look at Seattle 20 years ago. Same place we were in. Blackouts, losing franchise, talk of relocation. Paul Allen bought the team, committed to Seattle knowing what was possible.

Now they are considered the best fans in the league.

We will win the AFCS this year, Andrew Luck will get injured by Clowney on 1 of his 5 sacks this year

Quote:We will win the AFCS this year, Andrew Luck will get injured by Clowney on 1 of his 5 sacks this year
sarcasm?

[Image: randy-quaid-major-league.jpg]