Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB Competition: Blowing Smoke

Quote:I think it comes down to those preseason games. If he goes into them lighting it up they're not gonna sit him. People are saying it's no expectations this year are blind because over 8,000 people don't come out to a rookie mini camp if it weren't any. If you were a veteran on this team like Chris Clemons or another player I bet they have high expectations to win this year. If Bortles gives you the best chance to win you play him and I think he's a better option than Henne is.

You can't let those expectations-fan expectations-dictate football decisions.

Fan expectations would have had us hiring Spurrier and drafting Tebow.

Fan expectations would have us going for every 4th down.

Fan expectations would have us firing a coach every week.

I LOVE the buzz and excitement growing around this team.

But nothing would short circuit that buzz more quickly or effectively than putting in Bortles before he is ready.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think it comes down to those preseason games. If he goes into them lighting it up they're not gonna sit him. People are saying it's no expectations this year are blind because over 8,000 people don't come out to a rookie mini camp if it weren't any. If you were a veteran on this team like Chris Clemons or another player I bet they have high expectations to win this year. If Bortles gives you the best chance to win you play him and I think he's a better option than Henne is.

Don't confuse excitement with expectations.  Fans showed up because they were excited to see their new QB and the tools the team added around him.  That doesn't change the expectations for the team in 2014.

I'm sure they players have high expectations.  Again, that's irrelevant to the point most are making here.  The team isn't quite ready to take the next step.  This is the year where we should start to see the improvements we've been hoping for.  Still, the overall expectations for this team are, at best, to finish around .500. 

8,000+ at mini-camp, as nice as that is, doesn't change the expectations one bit.  It just shows the fans are buying into the process. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:You can't let those expectations-fan expectations-dictate football decisions.

Fan expectations would have had us hiring Spurrier and drafting Tebow.

Fan expectations would have us going for every 4th down.

Fan expectations would have us firing a coach every week.

I LOVE the buzz and excitement growing around this team.

But nothing would short circuit that buzz more quickly or effectively than putting in Bortles before he is ready.

Couldn't agree more.  If the club was so easily swayed by the public and let the tail wag the dog, then they could have generated plenty of buzz by signing Tebow or Manziel.  That's not what's generating the excitement around the franchise.  Folks are buying into the vision and the plan, and see the value in growing/strengthening the team for long term success.

If we're getting a nice boost of interest from merely making offseason moves, regular season success would really get the ball rolling.

I can recall getting the playoff "heads up" letters for season ticket holders so long ago.  It would be nice to not only see one again in the next few years, but actually purchase those tickets.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Don't confuse excitement with expectations.  Fans showed up because they were excited to see their new QB and the tools the team added around him.  That doesn't change the expectations for the team in 2014.

I'm sure they players have high expectations.  Again, that's irrelevant to the point most are making here.  The team isn't quite ready to take the next step.  This is the year where we should start to see the improvements we've been hoping for.  Still, the overall expectations for this team are, at best, to finish around .500. 

8,000+ at mini-camp, as nice as that is, doesn't change the expectations one bit.  It just shows the fans are buying into the process. 

I think it also shows that fans here don't need gimmicks to generate enthusiasm here.

The rest of the country kept trying to shove Tebow and Manziel down our throats to generate buzz-nevermind the obvious football concerns that went along with both of those guys.

This shows that if the team drafts well and makes sound football decisions, the fans will start to buy in.

Quote:Couldn't agree more.  If the club was so easily swayed by the public and let the tail wag the dog, then they could have generated plenty of buzz by signing Tebow or Manziel.  That's not what's generating the excitement around the franchise.  Folks are buying into the vision and the plan, and see the value in growing/strengthening the team for long term success.

If we're getting a nice boost of interest from merely making offseason moves, regular season success would really get the ball rolling.

I can recall getting the playoff "heads up" letters for season ticket holders so long ago.  It would be nice to not only see one again in the next few years, but actually purchase those tickets.

Those playoff ticket letters seem like ancient history.

Regarding your first point, the attendance/buzz surrounding this team is a victory for substance over style. 

Draft well...draw fans.

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM by JagsFan-32.)

If the draft was run by the fans, picks chosen by online fan voting, the attendance at the rookie practice would be 10x's what it was.  The Jaguars would be on the verge of a Super Bowl.

Quote:If the draft was run by the fans, picks chosen by online fan voting, the attendance at the rookie practice would be 10x's what it was.  The Jaguars would be on the verge of a Super Bowl.

[Image: tumblr_inline_mhomd20yQ71qz4rgp.gif]

Quote:I think it also shows that fans here don't need gimmicks to generate enthusiasm here.

The rest of the country kept trying to shove Tebow and Manziel down our throats to generate buzz-nevermind the obvious football concerns that went along with both of those guys.

This shows that if the team drafts well and makes sound football decisions, the fans will start to buy in.

Quote:Those playoff ticket letters seem like ancient history.

Regarding your first point, the attendance/buzz surrounding this team is a victory for substance over style. 

Draft well...draw fans.

Totally agree.

It is about substance over style.  For all the knocks this fan base gets, it's really a small segment of the fan base that falls for the gimmick recommendations.  The majority recognize there's a right and a wrong way to do things.  If the football decisions become focused on what will sell tickets, the fans are going to recognize this and respond accordingly.  If the football decisions are focused on getting better, fans will do what they did this weekend.  They'll want to be part of that ride.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:...

Draft well...draw fans.

And one other component that has been sorely missed around the team of late, the willingness of the Staff - both the Coaching and Front Office types - to involve the fans with the team. Not just asking folks to come and watch, but to let them know, as much as possible, what is going on with the team. There is such a hunger for anything football related, that if you supply that kind of stuff to them, they'll line up in droves for it, obviously.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:You obviously do not understand what it is like to make the jump from NCAA to NFL speed
. The Jaguars certainly would not have named Chad Henne as the starter if the rookie just needed to learn the playbook and stop bad habits. So what if Blake Bortles was #3? Peyton Manning was #1 overall and, thrown into the fire on Day 1, led the NFL in interceptions as a rookie. John Elway, also a #1 overall pick, was benched during his rookie season after struggling a lot on Sundays. They should have spent the first year warming benches. Of course we all know they deserved to be picked #1 overall and did not have many bad habits in college. It should be obvious the same can happen to Bortles if he is named the Week 1 starter at the beginning of training camp.

And you do?

What I believe he's trying to say is that if Bortles shows to be the better QB, then he should start and take his lumps.  Sitting him doesn't accomplish anything as far as learning the "speed" of the NFL.  The only way he learns that is by playing against other NFL defenses on Sunday.  

Blake will start at some point this season, I believe.  If the #3 pick isn't good enough at some point to beat out Chad freaking Henne then he was the wrong choice.  I can only hope he was the right one. 

Quote:If the draft was run by the fans, picks chosen by online fan voting, the attendance at the rookie practice would be 10x's what it was.  The Jaguars would be on the verge of a Super Bowl.
I don't think Khalil Mack or Sammy Watkins would have drawn bigger crowds than we saw with the crop drafted by people who actually have a clue what they're doing.

I hope this was just sarcasm that missed the target.

You play Madden.

cool

Quote:And you do?

What I believe he's trying to say is that if Bortles shows to be the better QB, then he should start and take his lumps.  Sitting him doesn't accomplish anything as far as learning the "speed" of the NFL.  The only way he learns that is by playing against other NFL defenses on Sunday.  

Blake will start at some point this season, I believe.  If the #3 pick isn't good enough at some point to beat out Chad freaking Henne then he was the wrong choice.  I can only hope he was the right one. 

If you're setting the bar at Henne, then you've already failed.  It's about turning Bortle5 into the best QB he can be and setting him up to have the best career he can, not simply rolling him out the instant he's better than Henne.  It's a much longer range initiative than just that.

Quote:If you're setting the bar at Henne, then you've already failed. It's about turning Bortle5 into the best QB he can be and setting him up to have the best career he can, not simply rolling him out the instant he's better than Henne. It's a much longer range initiative than just that.

Problem is, if you don't start him the minute he's better than henne, you risk losing locker room credibility as a coaching staff.

Don't fool yourselves, this isn't a Favre-Rodgers, or even Kitna-Palmer situation. Henne often plays like hot garbage.... The bar is reeeeeeaaaaal low, and you would certainly expect a first round talent to surpass him quickly (particularly a guy you felt strongly enough about to draft at 3). At that point, you would basically just be sitting him to sit him.

If henne had even once proven to be a competent quarterback over the course of a season, it would be different. But we already know he's terrible.

Quote:Problem is, if you don't start him the minute he's better than henne, you risk losing locker room credibility as a coaching staff.

Don't fool yourselves, this isn't a Favre-Rodgers, or even Kitna-Palmer situation. Henne often plays like hot garbage.... The bar is reeeeeeaaaaal low, and you would certainly expect a first round talent to surpass him quickly (particularly a guy you felt strongly enough about to draft at 3). At that point, you would basically just be sitting him to sit him.
If you stop and think for a minute you would realize that sitting him is the right thing long term. That hungry to win games right now is strong but for the long term if sitting him a few games and missing the playoffs this year to go on to win superbowls in the future is the trade off then I'm all in. The take your lumps thing is for guys who are ready and need experience. When you need to hone your craft you can only do it on the bench. Sitting him gives him an extended off season. Think back to Blaine and ask yourself how much a shortened season hurt him? Let Bortles work his way up the depth chart through competition  and let the process play out.  

The whole "start him over the incumbent because the incumbent sucks" thing is what destroys qbs. I don't want to repeat that process. I want to build this thing right. We've waited this long for a winner and we are close because we have been patient. Lets stay the course  

I think our schedule is perfect for his development.  The "tough" games are early on, which Henne will probably start.  After the first few weeks, I'm confident Bortles can come in and hold his own.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Problem is, if you don't start him the minute he's better than henne, you risk losing locker room credibility as a coaching staff.

You have no "locker room" insight  at all.

The message of competition, get better every day, BLAKE WILL SIT FOR THIS YEAR has been unwavering.

You appear to be one of the few that has not got the message from Coach Bradley, Fisch, Scelfo and G.M. Caldwell.

I will trust the decision making abilities of the Jaguars against the win at all costs panic.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM by bleedingteal.)

Quote:If you stop and think for a minute you would realize that sitting him is the right thing long term. That hungry to win games right now is strong but for the long term if sitting him a few games and missing the playoffs this year to go on to win superbowls in the future is the trade off then I'm all in. The take your lumps thing is for guys who are ready and need experience. When you need to hone your craft you can only do it on the bench. Sitting him gives him an extended off season. Think back to Blaine and ask yourself how much a shortened season hurt him? Let Bortles work his way up the depth chart through competition and let the process play out.

The whole "start him over the incumbent because the incumbent sucks" thing is what destroys qbs. I don't want to repeat that process. I want to build this thing right. We've waited this long for a winner and we are close because we have been patient. Lets stay the course
There's no definitive way to develop a qb. Manning threw a ton of interceptions his rookie year and he turned out just fine. Aikman was horrible as a rookie as was Eli.

I truly don't know this but what first round qbs sat behind a starter and went on to have success?

If a qb is going to be good starting him year 1 isn't going to make a difference. I don't think it's fair to say starting a qb early ruins them because there are examples of players overcoming their rookie year. Blaine Gabbert was always going to bad because he lacked the pocket presence to be successful.

If a rookie year "ruins" a qb it's probably just because he was a bad qb in the first place.

Edit: this isn't even about win now. I truly believe letting a rookie play is the best way to develop them.

Quote:I truly don't know this but what first round qbs sat behind a starter and went on to have success?

Steve McNair-3rd overall 1995

Phillip Rivers-4th overall 2004

Aaron Rodgers-2005

Carson Palmer-2003

These are the most recent examples.