Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Would you start Blake Bortles straight away?
Yes
No
Maybe
[Show Results]

Start Blake Bortles?

I say [BLEEP] him until he is ready. We still have a roster to build and there is no immediate need for him to play from day one. Just let him learn and when he is ready he will show he is. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Caldwell can stew all he wants. He has no idea what he just did, and his perception-building fiends aren't going to successfully combat the tidal wave of public opinion. Bortles starts year one, game one.

If he doesn't start right away, Bortles becomes a bust on the scale of Ryan Leaf.

Obviously, the team spread their intent to select Bortles around the media well in advance of the draft. Their cronies in the media blend in really well. The difference is the only media people that like/approve of the Bortles pick are the Gator-infested media (decent side money in a down year for Florida football) and franchise cronies embedded in the national media.

The effect the Gator worms and cronies have results in instantaneous neutral opinion.

For example this clever way of understating the necessary pick pan from SI:

Reaches

• Blake Bortles, Jacksonville (No. 3): The Jaguars had to find a quarterback, and it is of critical importance that a team in such a situation lands the exact guy it wants. Clearly, Jacksonville was keen on Bortles.

The confidence in this pick may be worthwhile in a couple of years, once Bortles inches closer to his full potential. But he does have a lot of work to do before he gets there, and the Jaguars passed on Manziel, Bridgewater, Sammy Watkins, Mack and others to get him. This was a very early gamble for a team that had plenty of choices.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/09/nfl-draft-s...alil-mack/

Calling the pick a reach is a kinder, gentler way of stating Bortles is a bust right out of the box.

The most revolting thing for the American public to consider is the skill and know-how inside the media as to knowing the truth and deliberately play a game of deception with it. They laugh at our ignorance.

The TU worms are the lowest form of life on earth. Not only did they create Blakenstein and shove him on the Jaguars, once the team was hit by rotten tomatoes, they washed their instigating-filthy hands within an hour or so of the public disclosure of the Bortles pick.
Are you on crack?

LEONARD FOURNETTE FAN CLUB PRESIDENT. I WAS BEHIND HIM WHEN YOU ALL SAID HE WAS BRANDON JACOBS. QUIT HATING ON THE JAGUARS. GUS IS GONE. COUGHLIN HAS RESTORED ORDER. FOURNETTE IS FRED TAYLOR. DONT BELIEVE ME JUST WATCH.

(This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 02:35 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

Quote:Are you on crack?

You really shouldn't insult people.  There might be some crack addicts who read this board you know.  Think of how they might feel being compared to JC.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Depends on what he looks like in preseason week 3 vs the Lions starters. 

I'd put him in that game before they yank most of their starters and see how he looks as the final determining factor.  

When he beats out Henne I see no reason why he shouldn't start. 

I'm just glad Caldwell and Bradley are running things...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000...tarting-qb

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Caldwell, however, admitted Bortles has "some development to do," which is why he's beginning his post-draft gambit selling Henne. The ultimate plan is to get Bortles "ready so come 2015 he's ready to compete for that spot," Caldwell said.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

I don't follow

And cause I was a gazillionaire, and I liked doin it so much, I cut that grass for free.

Quote:Caldwell can stew all he wants. He has no idea what he just did, and his perception-building fiends aren't going to successfully combat the tidal wave of public opinion. Bortles starts year one, game one.

If he doesn't start right away, Bortles becomes a bust on the scale of Ryan Leaf.

Obviously, the team spread their intent to select Bortles around the media well in advance of the draft. Their cronies in the media blend in really well. The difference is the only media people that like/approve of the Bortles pick are the Gator-infested media (decent side money in a down year for Florida football) and franchise cronies embedded in the national media.

The effect the Gator worms and cronies have results in instantaneous neutral opinion.

For example this clever way of understating the necessary pick pan from SI:

Reaches

• Blake Bortles, Jacksonville (No. 3): The Jaguars had to find a quarterback, and it is of critical importance that a team in such a situation lands the exact guy it wants. Clearly, Jacksonville was keen on Bortles.

The confidence in this pick may be worthwhile in a couple of years, once Bortles inches closer to his full potential. But he does have a lot of work to do before he gets there, and the Jaguars passed on Manziel, Bridgewater, Sammy Watkins, Mack and others to get him. This was a very early gamble for a team that had plenty of choices.

http://nfl.si.com/2014/05/09/nfl-draft-s...alil-mack/

Calling the pick a reach is a kinder, gentler way of stating Bortles is a bust right out of the box.

The most revolting thing for the American public to consider is the skill and know-how inside the media as to knowing the truth and deliberately play a game of deception with it. They laugh at our ignorance.

The TU worms are the lowest form of life on earth. Not only did they create Blakenstein and shove him on the Jaguars, once the team was hit by rotten tomatoes, they washed their instigating-filthy hands within an hour or so of the public disclosure of the Bortles pick.
do you wear a tin hat all the time. And think people are watching you?

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:The only opinion that matters is the club's:

Mark Long ‏@<b>APMarkLong</b> 16h

Caldwell takes shot at former Jaguars regime, jokes there's no chance they throw Bortles in Week 3 like what happened w/ Gabbert in 2011

Thats good to hear. 

Gabbert was nowhere near ready and they threw him out there anyway. I understand Garrard got hurt, but throwing the rookie to the wolves with that Jags team was not the way to go. 

I say don't start him. Lets get our o-line together and create a offensive identity. That process will take a few games during the season. Numbers don't lie. If we are running the ball & keeping the sacks down we will know buy the stats. Our Wr's will be better & Blackmon will be back later on too. When Blake does hit the field, Jed will be able to open the playbook. Henne is a statue in the pocket. Jed can only call play-action or shotgun plays with quick reads for him.  Blake will be able to be productive with any play that's call. The o-line will be the key. Once the gel together and become a solid group, we can put him  and turn him loose. Kind of feeling like Bart Scott.......

#CantWait!!!

By the way even if Henne sucks and numbers are horrible, They need to stick to the plan and keep him on the sideline. And most of all we as fans need to stick to the plan and don't change our minds about him playing. He is our Franchise QB cant risk him being beat up, punch drunk, & scared of taking a hit like Gabbert was.

I hope they have the patience to keep him on the sidelines. Give him time to learn the offense, adapt to the NFL some . . . I have a sneaking hunch he'll be on the field by midseason though, either due to Henne's performance or an injury.

[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

He plays by week 4 if not sooner. I voted yes.

No one is safe.

No dont throw him to the wolves like we did with Gabbert.  Wait  year till we get him so more talent than we will be ready to go next year.

I'd sit him for half a season, assuming Blackmon is back. I just can't fathom letting the #3 overall pick rot on the bench for a full year. 

If Blackmon is out for the year, I'd sit him all year. 

Quote:If he doesn't start right away, he'll be in his mom and dad's living room on Sundays watching all the football he wants!

I can carry a clipboard. Pay me, Mr. Khan.

This is so wrong-headed I don't even know where to start. Is this what comes from a generation raised on Madden video games?
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:When he beats out Henne I see no reason why he shouldn't start.

I think he will relatively quickly

[quote name="RicoCabesa" post="197062" timestamp="1399642866"]They won't start him unless he's ready. I seriously doubt they'll rush him in there. This team is more than likely not a playoff team yet anyway, and wasn't going to be regardless of who they drafted. So rushing him in there would accomplish nothing.

But of course that's mu opinion and it's as useless as everyone

Yeah I agree this is not a playoff team yet and were going to have a very young online that's needs to develope and get use to playing together. I don't want Blake getting killed like Garrad,Blaine,David Carr,Etc

(This post was last modified: 05-10-2014, 08:55 AM by Mr Sensible.)

He starts as soon as its clear he is the best available QB on the team, if that is week 1, its week 1, if its week 3 its week 3, if its 2016 its 2016. You don't keep a superior player on the bench out of some fallacy about protecting him from failure. He is a grown man in the big boy league. He is going to have to learn to take his lumps. All this crap about throwing to the wolves is [BLEEP] talk.

If playing a few bad games of football is going to ruin his career then he lacks the mental and testicular fortitude to be a leader and a winner in the NFL anyway and he is going to get found out sooner rather than later.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

By the time he lights it up in some preseason games 34 maybes will be saying yes.

No one is safe.