Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jacksonville's Best

Quote:Correct!! :yes:
It's good and all. But damn, you'd better take a couple of extra dosed of cholesterol meds after you go in there. Not something you want to be eating every day.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Correct!! :yes:

Theres places up here called "Beach Burgers" and "Beach Pizza" so at first read of "Beach road chicken" I was a bit unsure....lol

Quote:4 Rivers Smokehouse Baymedows & 95. This is the same outfit that opened on Fairbanks Ave.

The Briskit is true Texas style briskit and a delight. Everything is good on the menu

HeadSlap
I've known John Rivers for more than 30 years, and his restaurant is incredible.  It's about time they've made it to Jacksonville.  All of the success he's enjoying now was hard-earned and much deserved.  The burnt ends and the cheese grits are incredible.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:It's good and all. But damn, you'd better take a couple of extra dosed of cholesterol meds after you go in there. Not something you want to be eating every day.

That's why it's SOOOO good!! :thumbsup:
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Quote:I've known John Rivers for more than 30 years, and his restaurant is incredible.  It's about time they've made it to Jacksonville.  All of the success he's enjoying now was hard-earned and much deserved.  The burnt ends and the cheese grits are incredible.

Where are they from originally?

Nero's Italian Restaurant on University north of JU has good pizza, and if you go on Tuesdays or Thursdays, they do two for one deals on their pies.  Lenny, the guy who owns the place, is an old New Yorker.  The guys running the pizza kitchen are all from NY as well, and they do everything they can to keep it as authentic as possible.  The rest of the menu is pretty good as well.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Where are they from originally?
They're from Jacksonville.  He and his brothers all went to high school at Bishop Kenny. He went to college down in central Florida, and started the restaurant down there.  Now he's expanded.  I think they're near Tampa, Orlando, they're building one in Gainesville, and one shop is already open here, and I believe there's another one on the way.

It's a really cool concept because it's a cafeteria style restaurant. You order from a food line, they set it up and put your meal together on the tray.  No plates.  The unique thing is they've got a bakery in the restaurant that does all sorts of cool confections.  Apparently, John is a big fan of Cheerwine because several of the recipes include it. 

He's gotten to be quite a big deal regionally, and spends a lot of his time traveling the country promoting the restaurant.  When I see the pictures of him with renowned chefs from around the country, I get a kick out of it because I remember him when he was just a chubby kid playing football at BK. 

Again, I can't stress strongly enough that if you go there, get the cheese grits. It's not what you'd expect.  It's like a cake the way they make them. 

Quote:It's good and all. But damn, you'd better take a couple of extra dosed of cholesterol meds after you go in there. Not something you want to be eating every day.
It has to be a "special occasion" to go to Beach Road because you're right.  The abuse your digestive system, and your internal organs take from all that cholesterol is off the charts.  We usually go with a large group, and it gets pretty rowdy. I've never left the place disappointed. 

They still make the biscuits the same way they have for more than 60 years.  Load them up with honey, smother them with gravy, and you're in for a treat. 

Another great local haunt I was just at this weekend is Culhanes Irish Pub in Atlantic Beach.  They've been featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the Food Network.  We've been going there for years.  Great atmosphere and fantastic food.

Grits at The Brick in Riverside are also pretty amazing. Don't know how they make those but I could eat an entire plate almost daily.

Quote:Another great local haunt I was just at this weekend is Culhanes Irish Pub in Atlantic Beach.  They've been featured on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives on the Food Network.  We've been going there for years.  Great atmosphere and fantastic food.

What is their signature sandwich/ food? Usually on D,DI & D, they'll point out what is the house specialty. Just curious what it is for a place like that. 

Quote:What is their signature sandwich/ food? Usually on D,DI & D, they'll point out what is the house specialty. Just curious what it is for a place like that.

Probably their Guinness Beef stew...it's really good, and I think that's what they did on DDD.

Quote:What is their signature sandwich/ food? Usually on D,DI & D, they'll point out what is the house specialty. Just curious what it is for a place like that. 
Lamb burger sliders and shepherds pie,

Quote:Probably their Guinness Beef stew...it's really good, and I think that's what they did on DDD.
That too.

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Lamb burger sliders and shepherds pie,

MMmmm, Shepherds Pie is one of my favs. 

I think I'd also want to check out that BBQ place mentioned previously with the brisket as well, though. 

Lola's Burrito Joint on King Street has some great Mexican food and then you are really close to Intuition Ale and Kickbacks for some local beer.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

I like Beach Diner in Atlantic Beach. For healthy days I like the Garden Pita. The sunflower seeds make for a nice crunch.

Any other time I like the B.E.T. Rider. Basically, it's a really good B.L.T. with egg salad inside a pita.

Good eats!

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:Nero's Italian Restaurant on University north of JU has good pizza, and if you go on Tuesdays or Thursdays, they do two for one deals on their pies. Lenny, the guy who owns the place, is an old New Yorker. The guys running the pizza kitchen are all from NY as well, and they do everything they can to keep it as authentic as possible. The rest of the menu is pretty good as well.

I can vouch for that. My father is born and raised NYC and according to him Nero's is the best authentic New York pizza place in Jax. 2 for 1 Tuesdays and Thursdays are the best.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Joe's Crab Shack @ the beaches...

I really don't eat crabs due to first impressions but the lobster crab legs are the best. I'd recommend the seafood feast, It'll take two hungry adults to knock it down...

NH3...
"AZANE"

So basically don't do or see anything, just eat.