Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags sign Ziggy Hood

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 01:03 PM by KL1gus.)

Quote:Well, if true - at that point we'd have a glut of LEO's - Clowney/ Clemons/ Branch/ Davis

I was kinda hoping to see if Branch could build on his improvement from last year. If they add Clowney, his PT would be very limiited. 
Considering his improvement was largely manufactured by scheme and not his own ability, I wouldn't count on him that much.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Well, if true - at that point we'd have a glut of LEO's - Clowney/ Clemons/ Branch/ Davis

I was kinda hoping to see if Branch could build on his improvement from last year. If they add Clowney, Branch's PT would be very limited according to the above.

Gus recently said that he ideally would want 4 LEOs total. If I remember correctly, the majority of Branch's sacks came from him standing up and off stunts. So I could see then using the lightning package with Clowney and Clemons at the LEO, Davis at DT, and then Branch coming from a LB spot.

Don't know if anyone saw this but it has me pumped to see what this guy can do. Love his work ethic

http://youtu.be/Sq53TKUWxNQ
(MJDFAN10)
;

Ziggy is a faster and stronger Alualu.  Personally, I think Ziggy didn't perform because he was in a 3-4 where the lineman take up the double teams and the LBs make the plays (woodley, harrison, worlds).    he needed a fresh start and a different defensive scheme so i think this is a good fit -- otherwise, he just ends up another dude that looks good in the gym.  motivation is not a problem.

Quote:Ziggy is a faster and stronger Alualu.  Personally, I think Ziggy didn't perform because he was in a 3-4 where the lineman take up the double teams and the LBs make the plays (woodley, harrison, worlds).    he needed a fresh start and a different defensive scheme so i think this is a good fit -- otherwise, he just ends up another dude that looks good in the gym.  motivation is not a problem.

More like another Marks then?

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:This was my post from earlier this morning -- check out the video

I didn't see a Ziggy Hood topic so just thought I'd make a quick comment or two.

Hood was drafted int the 1st round and is considered a bust in Pittsbugh. The dude is a workout freak (see video below) so he may have some potential under the Bradley scheme. All of the Steelers defenders got progressively worse once Casey Hampton (NT) went through his quick deterioration due to age and hits. This was similar to the Baltimore defense when they lost Siragusa -- everyone got worse, then they drafted Haloti Ngota and everyone became much more effective.

Hood intrigues me. CHECK OUT HIS VIDEO <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq53TKUWxNQ'>http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Sq53TKUWxNQ</a>

TREMENDOUS Workout BUT, how will it transform onto the playing field?

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:He could be, but like most have stated, he fits in best as a 3T behind Marks. They talked about Marks getting way overworked last year and needing someone to spell him, and from all indications all those backup snaps should go to Hood. I'm sure he'll get snaps at other spots around the DL too, but I think his best fit is 3T (from everything i've gathered).

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Ziggy is a faster and stronger Alualu.  Personally, I think Ziggy didn't perform because he was in a 3-4 where the lineman take up the double teams and the LBs make the plays (woodley, harrison, worlds).    he needed a fresh start and a different defensive scheme so i think this is a good fit -- otherwise, he just ends up another dude that looks good in the gym.  motivation is not a problem.
Im a Steelers fan and first of all I want to congratulate you guys for picking up Ziggy Hood. We (steeler fans) thought for sure we were going to sign him this year because we don't have any depth at DE. You are definitely correct about Ziggy playing in the wrong scheme for Pitt. When we drafted the guy, Hood put on alot of weight for the first couple of seasons. He didn't perform as a first round selection, so in 2012 he decided to lose weight in order to be quicker. As you guys can see on the video you guys put up. I think he is going to be a force in the Jags DL. For Sanders, he was dropping balls last year. But he is quick, can run routes, and return kicks. The guy is not the strongest and even now and then will get injured. I think a change of scenery can help the guy. He played college at SMU and Florida has some nice weather. Pitt is just too cold. Rather let go of Sanders and pick up Mike Evans. 

Quote:Don't know if anyone saw this but it has me pumped to see what this guy can do. Love his work ethic

i want a hood jersey

Quote:Im a Steelers fan and first of all I want to congratulate you guys for picking up Ziggy Hood. We (steeler fans) thought for sure we were going to sign him this year because we don't have any depth at DE. You are definitely correct about Ziggy playing in the wrong scheme for Pitt. When we drafted the guy, Hood put on alot of weight for the first couple of seasons. He didn't perform as a first round selection, so in 2012 he decided to lose weight in order to be quicker. As you guys can see on the video you guys put up. I think he is going to be a force in the Jags DL. For Sanders, he was dropping balls last year. But he is quick, can run routes, and return kicks. The guy is not the strongest and even now and then will get injured. I think a change of scenery can help the guy. He played college at SMU and Florida has some nice weather. Pitt is just too cold. Rather let go of Sanders and pick up Mike Evans.

Dang. A Steeler fan I can stomach. Thanks for your input. Hell...I like Ziggy just cuz of his name. Lol.

But with Steeler and Seahawk players on D, I'm starting to feel a buzz.

Good luck to you guys this year.
Blakes Life Matters

Quote:Yea he mostly played the NT position in pit. The roll Hampton use to play. He played a little end but mostly that roll. In a 3-4 he just didn't fit at either.

He played LE. Not sure where you're getting NT from.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steel...1403130299

Quote:I've heard he was disappointing with his old team. Hopefully a change of scenery/scheme will do good. At the very least he is depth. 
I believe he was switched to a 3-4 end whereas he is better suited for DT. Oddly I think the same thing may have happened to Bryant, look at his frame, he is not a DE. I think they are aiming for having big DTs with a touch of speed/pass rushing ability.

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Quote:Don't know if anyone saw this but it has me pumped to see what this guy can do. Love his work ethic

Good god.

This ladies and gentleman is who we call a Dancing Bear

I like the 120 lb dumbbells. The gym I go to doesn't even go above 75.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 08:55 PM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Im a Steelers fan and first of all I want to congratulate you guys for picking up Ziggy Hood. We (steeler fans) thought for sure we were going to sign him this year because we don't have any depth at DE. You are definitely correct about Ziggy playing in the wrong scheme for Pitt. When we drafted the guy, Hood put on alot of weight for the first couple of seasons. He didn't perform as a first round selection, so in 2012 he decided to lose weight in order to be quicker. As you guys can see on the video you guys put up. I think he is going to be a force in the Jags DL. For Sanders, he was dropping balls last year. But he is quick, can run routes, and return kicks. The guy is not the strongest and even now and then will get injured. I think a change of scenery can help the guy. He played college at SMU and Florida has some nice weather. Pitt is just too cold. Rather let go of Sanders and pick up Mike Evans. 

Returning kicks is less important now that almost every kickoff is a touchback with the new rules. 

I agree with you/ or you agree with my point about wanting a bigger WR with the skill set of a Mike Evans, i.e. a guy thats going to win the one on one battles vs physical DB and be able to outjump them and get those jump balls. Emmanuel Sanders is a smurf. We already have one of those in Ace Sanders. No need for 2 on one team. 

As for Ziggy, I agree and said in an earlier post in this thread that one thing I will credit Gus Bradley and his staff for is they do seem to know how to utilize defensive personnel to the best of the player's advantage. It makes me confident in this Hood signing, that he might just exceed expectations, just like last years signing of SenDerrick Marks did. 

Good signing.

Quote:I like the 120 lb dumbbells. The gym I go to doesn't even go above 75.

Because you're not Ziggy.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Because you're not Ziggy.

(checks bank account)

Nope

Quote:Dang. A Steeler fan I can stomach. Thanks for your input. Hell...I like Ziggy just cuz of his name. Lol.

But with Steeler and Seahawk players on D, I'm starting to feel a buzz.

Good luck to you guys this year.

It's like the Twilight Zone. Steelers fans typically have nothing nice to say about players who leave their team, although at least he did get a dig on Sanders dropping balls last year and him not being strong so you know he's a true Steelers fan. You should have seen Steelers fans drooling all over Sanders this past season. At one point I suggested the guy is overrated, and I was berated by Steelers fans lauding his greatness. 

'02