Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Clemons signed!

Quote:Given his age and ACL injury, what level of production would he need for him to be considered a "good" signing?

I think if we can get 7-8 sacks out of him this year, I could be happy with the signing.
I personally think he'll surpass that, but I would say 7-8 sacks would be fine if Branch builds on last year, and we add to the position through FA.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:11.818181991577148px;">Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN  1m
<p style="font-size:11.818181991577148px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">DE Chris Clemons: 4yrs/$18M w/upside to $22.5M via sacks/PT. #Jaguars

</div>
...and there you have it. Another really solid deal. Gotta love how this team is being built. Now please get us that franchise QB!!!

Quote: 

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;font-size:11.818181991577148px;">Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN  1m
<p style="font-size:11.818181991577148px;color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:Arial, sans-serif;">DE Chris Clemons: 4yrs/$18M w/upside to $22.5M via sacks/PT. #Jaguars

</div>

Not bad....I am hoping it also is structured in a way that the Jags can get out of it early, with little cap hit, should an early release be necessary. 

Quote:So when I turn 32 I won't be good at my job anymore?

What? Lol.

Quote:Not bad....I am hoping it also is structured in a way that the Jags can get out of it early, with little cap hit, should an early release be necessary. 
You have to believe it is structured accordingly.

I'd shudder to think the Jaguars would be forced to keep a 36 year old DE on the roster due to salary cap considerations.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Na Clemons is rotation. Same with Branch. We need a consistent pass rush coming from somewhere, which is why I would def take Clowney if hes still on the board.

To be fair, people probably said the same thing about Bennett before signing with SEA

Quote:Not bad....I am hoping it also is structured in a way that the Jags can get out of it early, with little cap hit, should an early release be necessary.

Almost positive it will be. Most of the deals that have done get the guaranteed money out if the way ASAP.

Our DL is gonna be so nasty lol Clemons and Hood 

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS'>Pete Prisco ‏@<b>PriscoCBS</b> </a> <a class="" href='https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/444125921709408256' title="11:00 AM - 13 Mar 2014">58m</a>

<p class="">Jaguars defense could be nasty if they get Clowney or Mack.

But isn't it possible that we (message board people) might be a little over-cautious when it comes to the spending?   Can we really say for sure that overspending on some players this year will actually affect us in a negative way down the road?   We have so much cap room, and the cap is projected to go up so much in the next two years, that it is possible that no matter how much we spend, we will still be chasing that 89% floor. 

Quote:To be fair, people probably said the same thing about Bennett before signing with SEA

True but Bennett was only 27 at the time and coming off a 9 sack year, there was a lot of potential there.

Less so with Clemons.

Quote:Pete Prisco ‏@<b>PriscoCBS</b> 58m

Jaguars defense could be nasty if they get Clowney or Mack.

on paper, yes.

does anyone think the colts or titans will have a better defense this year?  the draft will get some more gus guys and our d is being built the right way.  great to have 'proper villians' running the show again.

Quote:True but Bennett was only 27 at the time and coming off a 9 sack year, there was a lot of potential there.

Less so with Clemons.
Clemons had 11+ sacks in 2010, 2011, and 2012 before tearing his ACL and coming on strong at the end of last year and into the playoffs. Clemons is older, but there is no reason to think he can't be an impact pass rusher on this team. His best years came under Gus as well. His snaps also decreased last year with Bennett and co. coming in.

(This post was last modified: 03-13-2014, 12:07 PM by C-Dub93.)

Quote:Pete Prisco ‏@<b>PriscoCBS</b> 58m

Jaguars defense could be nasty if they get Clowney or Mack.
We will need Gratz, Evans, etc to take big steps forward if Thurmond or another solid corner/safety isn't brought in though. I am loving our D-Line, but we still have some iffy spots. D-Line generally makes everyone better though too.

Quote:We will need Gratz, Evans, etc to take big steps forward if Thurmond or another solid corner/safety isn't brought in though. I am loving our D-Line, but we still have some iffy spots. D-Line generally makes everyone better though too.

Gratz and Evans automatically get 40% better if we draft Clowney.

Quote:Gratz and Evans automatically get 40% better if we draft Clowney.

so at LEO we have clemons, branch, davis, and watson.  would there even be playing time for clowney or another rookie?

Quote:Clemons had 11+ sacks in 2010, 2011, and 2012 before tearing his ACL and coming on strong at the end of last year and into the playoffs. Clemons is older, but there is no reason to think he can't be an impact pass rusher on this team. His best years came under Gus as well. His snaps also decreased last year with Bennett and co. coming in.

I'm saying its not necessarily a good thing that your best pass rusher is 32 and a year removed from an ACL tear.

I think hes going to be effective, but we need a young guy who can consistently get to the QB if we want to have sustained success.

I just really want Clowney lol.

Gotta admit, I really like what Bradwell are doing with free agency. None of the obvious A-list huge dollar guys have been signed, but they're finding veterans to fill holes at reasonable prices. That's how it's done.

Quote:I'm saying its not necessarily a good thing that your best pass rusher is 32 and a year removed from an ACL tear.

I think hes going to be effective, but we need a young guy who can consistently get to the QB if we want to have sustained success.

I just really want Clowney lol.
No doubt, I'm not going to be upset one bit if we add Clowney lol. I'm just saying the guy looked like his old self according to almost every Seahawks fan I've talked to closer to the end of the season, and definitely in the playoffs. There should be plenty of options for help at the LEO past 3rd overall. I think Mack would make more sense personally with him being good in coverage and being more versatile if we don't go QB though personally.

Quote:No doubt, I'm not going to be upset one bit if we add Clowney lol. I'm just saying the guy looked like his old self according to almost every Seahawks fan I've talked to closer to the end of the season, and definitely in the playoffs. There should be plenty of options for help at the LEO past 3rd overall. I think Mack would make more sense personally with him being good in coverage and being more versatile if we don't go QB though personally.

I'm leaning towards Mack because I want to put the best 11 defensive players on the field at the same time.   As of now, with the guys we've signed, we have a bigger hole at LB than at DE.   And if you want to rush the passer, do you get the best results with Clemons/Mack or Clowney/Hayes?   If you draft Clowney you put Clemons on the bench.  If you draft Mack, you put either Hayes or Russell Allen on the bench.