Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is taking a tackle in the top 5 smart?

If you look at the 49s Oline they have 3 first rounders on thier line. Not that they were top 5 picks but having high drafted oline means better more athletic players means QB has time to throw. I dont think the Rams will pass on Mathews i think he will go #2 if he is there at #3 its tough not to take him if Bridgewater is alerady gone too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Trade back, draft two guards late in the first round, get a qb in the second or even third.  Wait need a linebacker(s), a pass rusher, a center, etc. etc.  Jags need so much, just get the best guys.  No QB seems worth a first round pick to me. 

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

Quote:Trade back, draft two guards late in the first round, get a qb in the second or even third.  Wait need a linebacker(s), a pass rusher, a center, etc. etc.  Jags need so much, just get the best guys.  No QB seems worth a first round pick to me. 

Draft two Guards in the First Round over a Quarterback?!

Are you trying to say that any position is better than the Quarterback class in this draft or that there are two Guards that are worth First Round selections?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

It's smart if he's the highest guy on your board, and you don't have a better offer to move back.

It's always about value.  If it's there, you take it.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:It's smart if he's the highest guy on your board, and you don't have a better offer to move back.

It's always about value.  If it's there, you take it.

I understand, and I agree..

I just wouldn't value LTs that much like a lot of people tend to do.  I don't think they are THAT much more important than a good guard or RT.  I almost look at the Oline as a singular position.  I'd rather have 5 solid/slightly above average offensive linemen than 3 Pro Bowlers and 2 Rackleys... NFL defenses are sophisticated enough to expose any weakness.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:I understand, and I agree..

I just wouldn't value LTs that much like a lot of people tend to do.  I don't think they are THAT much more important than a good guard or RT.  I almost look at the Oline as a singular position.  I'd rather have 5 solid/slightly above average offensive linemen than 3 Pro Bowlers and 2 Rackleys... NFL defenses are sophisticated enough to expose any weakness.

I think that may be more of a product of the lack of really great Left Tackles in the league.  I've heard Boselli mention this before as well as Ross Tucker on SiriusXM NFL radio and since I'm no evaluator of tackle play I'll take their word for it.

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2014, 08:20 PM by hailtoyourvictor.)

Woah,

Did somebody honestly just say that Kaepernick is better than Aaron Rodgers?

More Super Bowl wins? Aaron Rodgers.

More MVPs? Aaron Rodgers

Better YPA? Aaron Rodgers

Better QB rating? Aaron Rodgers

Better completion %? Aaron Rodgers

Better TD:INT ratio? Aaron Rodgers

Aaron Rodgers is one of the top 5 QBs in the league. Aaron Rodgers has 5 straight seasons of a 100+ passer rating. Tom Brady has 3 in his entire career. Peyton Manning has 5 in his entire career. Drew Brees has 4 in his entire career. I'm not saying that Rodgers is better than those three, but he is certainly in that tier.

In no way, shape, or form is Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick, or Russell Wilson on Aaron Rodgers level (yet).

Quote:I think that may be more of a product of the lack of really great Left Tackles in the league.  I've heard Boselli mention this before as well as Ross Tucker on SiriusXM NFL radio and since I'm no evaluator of tackle play I'll take their word for it.
I'd rather say that instead of attacking from the same spot, defense attack weaknesses on the OLine. And a single OT, no matter how great he is, cannot prevent that strategy.

Taking a QB instead of Joeckel might have improved the Jags more, but we'd be stuck with a second-tier QB. Even if there was a reasonably good QB at the top of the draft last year, IMO it was better to take Joeckel. If you're taking about two Pro Bowl level players, then by all means take the one who plays the impact position. But if you're comparing a Pro Bowl LT vs. a good but not great starter at QB or DE, then pick the Pro Bowler and fill the other need next year. LT is still an important position, even if it's not as important as it was 10 years ago.

Do you really want to argue that drafting a Pro Bowl LT isn't better than drafting (say) Sam Bradford?

Of course we still don't know if Joeckel is even an upgrade over Monroe yet, much less the perennial Pro Bowler it would take to justify the pick. And I still think the Jags should have gone after a RT in free agency last spring. Pasztor might be the solution. Then again, he might be the next Todd Fordham.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I'd rather say that instead of attacking from the same spot, defense attack weaknesses on the OLine. And a single OT, no matter how great he is, cannot prevent that strategy.

But that's one less place where the RB or TE doesn't have to provide help.

It's like having Revis at CB. Sure the opponents can attack the other CB, but your defense can shade the safeties that way to help out.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Draft two Guards in the First Round over a Quarterback?!

Are you trying to say that any position is better than the Quarterback class in this draft or that there are two Guards that are worth First Round selections?

I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a first round pick, I'd take two first round guards over just one first round pick.  But mostly I'm saying the Jags have so many needs, that take the best player would be best.  

"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football" - John Heisman

I think we are okay at tackle for now. If we were in need of one to protect a good QB and a stud tackle was there I could see that, but I beleive we have more pressing needs.

No tackle in the first this year.  I'll take a guard or center in the third though. 

Matthews might not even be the first tackle taken this year. That guy Robinson from Auburn is shooting up the board.

Quote:I understand, and I agree..

Good take and correct IMO.

Its getting to where if teams cant beat your OTs they will attack the center and guard with various blitzes and stunts. DTs are more and more coming out with pass rush skills and arent just being space eaters anymore.

I like the 3 pro bowlers and 2 rackleys line. To me no matter how well the 3 probowlers play individually defenses will dominate the 2 rackleys and force your probowlers out of position to help.

Quote:I don't think any QB in this draft is worth a first round pick, I'd take two first round guards over just one first round pick.  But mostly I'm saying the Jags have so many needs, that take the best player would be best.  

Well, who wouldn't want two First Round players instead of one? Provided that they prove to be, in fact, First Round quality players.

And yes, taking the best player would be best. But isn't that like saying good things are good? Am I drunk?

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

In this pass happy football era, teams that draft offensive lineman in the top 5 stay in mediocrity or below, while the other teams compete for a Super Bowl.

For a second there, I thought some people actually believed Kaepernick is better than Aaron Rodgers. I think that a certain poster was just flinging crap at a wall, per usual.

Quote:In this pass happy football era, teams that draft offensive lineman in the top 5 stay in mediocrity or below, while the other teams compete for a Super Bowl.

So, do teams that overdraft QB's.  Rams, Lions, Dolphins, Jets, Bengals...

Nah we're good on tackles lets grab a franchise QB.